Red blotches

Old February 19th 07, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids
David

Default Red blotches

Hi

New to this group, so hope u can help me. We have a 5 month old baby
girl, and she has started to get red blotches around the back of her
neck. There is now a biggish red mark in the crease of the front of
her neck. She has now started to develop little red blotches around
the front of the nappy area.

We have taken her to the doctors, and spoken to our Health Visitors,
and they suggested to use creams such as: DoubleBase, various nappy
rash creams, sudocrem and aqueous.
We think the red blotch on her neck may be clearing, but we are unsure
as to what the ones on her nappy area are...and what to use.

We are using Oilatum in the bath and Boots or Simple wash. Doesnt seem
to help.

Can anyone help u please, as the doctors dont seem much use..

Thanks

Old February 19th 07, 07:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

New to this group, so hope u can help me. We have a 5 month old baby
girl, and she has started to get red blotches around the back of her
neck. There is now a biggish red mark in the crease of the front of
her neck. She has now started to develop little red blotches around
the front of the nappy area.

We have taken her to the doctors, and spoken to our Health Visitors,
and they suggested to use creams such as: DoubleBase, various nappy
rash creams, sudocrem and aqueous.
We think the red blotch on her neck may be clearing, but we are unsure
as to what the ones on her nappy area are...and what to use.

We are using Oilatum in the bath and Boots or Simple wash. Doesnt seem
to help.

Can anyone help u please, as the doctors dont seem much use..

Sounds like dry skin to me.
#2 had a patch of dry skin exactly like you describe on her right cheek for
about 18 months. It moved around a little, and changed shape, but was always
there. Eventually it disappeared. She had a similar one in a crease on her
neck, but not as long lasting.
As it's on the back of the neck you may find hydrocortozone (spelling?)
works. You can't use it for long (about 3 days) on the face, but in 3 days
it usually began to improve, but then regressed when I stopped using it
again.
I found Aveeno cream most effective as a basic cream, and Aveeno oil in the
bath works wonders but is very expensive so I only use it when I get it on
prescription. I'm assuming that you're UK from various terms you use, so I
suggest you see if they'll provide a prescription for you. I've never had a
problem getting it when I've asked.
Unfortunately #2 (aged 3yo) is now showing signs of excema and has these
blotches on her arms and legs regularly which we have to treat.
Debbie

#2 had a patch of dry skin exactly like you describe on her right cheek for
[...]
Debbie- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Debbie for your reply. Yes we are in the UK. The one on her
neck does look red and raw and nothing seems to help. The docs keep
suggesting creams, but so far nothing works.

Anything else u suggest?

Thanks
David

Old February 20th 07, 03:30 AM posted to misc.kids
joni

On Feb 19, 11:13 am, "David" wrote:
Thanks Debbie for your reply. Yes we are in the UK. The one on her
neck does look red and raw and nothing seems to help. The docs keep
suggesting creams, but so far nothing works.

If nothing seems to work then you need to look for an allergy to
perhaps the laundry soap you are using? That to mee seems the logical
source for any rash that wont go away (neckline - shirts, waistline of
nappies etc) to me all say an allergy to something that continues to
irritate those areas.

joanne

Old February 20th 07, 09:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeni Steers

We are using Oilatum in the bath and Boots or Simple wash. Doesnt seem
to help.

Try ditching the the Oilatum and other stuff and just use aqaueous cream in
the bath. My ds has mild eczema and we were told just to wash him with this.
Then we moisterise him with Diprobase (free on prescription in the UK) when
he gets dry, red patches. If it really flares up we use Daktarin and if it
gets infected and itchy Daktacort - both available on prescription.

HTH

Jeni

Old February 20th 07, 12:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article .com,
"David" wrote:

New to this group, so hope u can help me. We have a 5 month old baby
girl, and she has started to get red blotches around the back of her
neck. There is now a biggish red mark in the crease of the front of
her neck. She has now started to develop little red blotches around
the front of the nappy area.

We have taken her to the doctors, and spoken to our Health Visitors,
and they suggested to use creams such as: DoubleBase, various nappy
rash creams, sudocrem and aqueous.
We think the red blotch on her neck may be clearing, but we are unsure
as to what the ones on her nappy area are...and what to use.

Depends what you think is causing it. My DS1 had deep neck wrinkles which
trapped food, which of course irritated his skin. The wrinkles went red and
shiny. I just became less slack about keeping his neck clean!

For red blotches around the groin -- both my childen have been prone to heat
rash, which can look like raised red blotches. On other parts of the body it
looks like little raised dots. At any rate, heat rash in the groin clears up
with a barrier cream and (this bit can be tricky in an Australian summer!)
lower temperatures. The barrier creams I have used are pretty much zinc and
castor oil creams. Redness around the groin can also be caused by teething
and by feeding your child too much acidic food, like orange juice or tomatoes.
But she is too young for those foods anyway.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old February 21st 07, 07:18 AM posted to misc.kids
Irrational Number

David wrote:

New to this group, so hope u can help me. We have a 5 month old baby
girl, and she has started to get red blotches around the back of her
neck. There is now a biggish red mark in the crease of the front of
her neck. She has now started to develop little red blotches around
the front of the nappy area.

Bathe her only once a week, do not use soap. Use
lots of lotion afterwards.

Try eliminating dairy from her diet, so if nursing,
have mother cut out dairy (including whey and casein)
completely. If formula, use non-dairy formula.

-- Anita --