Ward Cleaver was my great inspiration

Old February 15th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.books
[email protected]

Default Ward Cleaver was my great inspiration

On Feb 14, 5:35*pm, LidsvilleNine
wrote:

I'm not sure you were paying full attention to the show. Ward was a
stereotypical authority figure, but he never showed anger at his sons.

But he didn't accept them 'as is' either.

Old February 17th 08, 07:55 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.books
Earls_Music

wrote:

I'm not sure you were paying full attention to the show. Ward was a
stereotypical authority figure, but he never showed anger at his sons.

But he didn't accept them 'as is' either.

Oh, I think he did. Teaching lessons to someone doesn't mean non-
acceptance. You never saw him proclaim one of them to be a "bad kid"
etc.
I'm not just trying to win an argument, (I prefer being hit on the
head, actually). Please explain how Ward didn't accept Wally and Beav
"as is"
Old February 19th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.books
Dan Clore

Anim8rFSK wrote:
In article , Dan Clore
On Feb 14, 2:36 pm, "Fred Goodwin, CMA"

wrote: Wally dated regularly in that show, but it was portrayed
very strangely. Wally seemed to be doing it because it was one
of those things boys his age were supposed to do, not like that
he got any special enjoyment from a girl's company. Never any
affection ever shown. Most dates didn't work out very well.

On one classic episode, Wally has a crush on the girl who works the
ticket booth at a theatre. He manages to get a date with her (if I
remember, Eddie Haskell actually set it up, as Wally got too
tongue-tied to hit on her himself). Beaver happens to see her in a
beer joint (the Beav was just walking by), but when he tells Wally
this Wally goes ballistic denying it, instead of realizing that
he's in for a fun date. The date starts with dinner at the
Cleavers, and she tells them that she's in beauty school, a lie. As
they start out, she lights up a cigarette, and offers one to Wally,
who tells her that he's in training. Instead of going to a movie
(or whatever they had planned), she Wally park. Then she tells him
that now that she's made his parents like her, she wants to make
him like her, too. The audience is now shouting "All right,
Wally!!!", but Wally's such a cold fish that pretty soon she
suggests that they head to a place she knows, which of course turns
out to be the beer joint. Wally won't even make a lame excuse to
get out of drinking -- he just doesn't. Pretty soon she suggests
that he run along.

Years later, the Beav went back to the beer joint and found her for
himself . . .

More likely, later that night--

--
Dan Clore

http://tinyurl.com/3akhhr
Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

Old February 19th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.books
[email protected]

On Feb 17, 2:55*am, Earls_Music wrote:

But he didn't accept them 'as is' either.

Oh, I think he did. Teaching lessons to someone doesn't mean non-
acceptance. You never saw him proclaim one of them to be a "bad kid"
etc.
I'm not just trying to win an argument, (I prefer being hit on the
head, actually). Please explain how Ward didn't accept Wally and Beav
"as is"

I guess what I'm trying to say is the boys were held to a very high
standard at all times, at home, at school, everywhere. He was totally
in command of the household and you knew it at all times. When he
gave permission, it was almost as if by suffrance, like he was doing
the boys a special favor letting them do something, like asking the
seargent for a weekend pass. In other words, when I was a kid, it was
"Mom [or Dad], I'm going out to play" just to let them know where I
was, whereas with Ward, one was applying for permission which may--or
may not--be forthcoming. If one got permission, there were always
conditions and qualifications.

It seemed all Ward did was give them talks on behavior. Yes, he
didn't yell or be mean, but he was never jovial or easy-going either,
and when he was firm, he meant it. Note that the boys addressed him
as 'sir'.

I note that June was very different in that respect.

It just seemed other TV fathers, and real life fathers, were less
'formal' or 'stiff'. Dennis M's father certainly wasn't that way.
Ozzie Nelson wasn't that way. Rob Petrie wasn't that way. To put it
yet another way, I doubt Ward would allow a friend like Buddy Sorrel
(if he even had such a friend) to be in the house and talk to Beaver;
I strongly doubt Ward would appreciate Buddy's jokes about things
regarding kids.

I think I'd rather have Alan Brady, despite his constant screaming and
temper, as a father over Ward Cleaver. Does that make sense?

It was mentioned Beaumont was a minister. I could see him doing that
very well, and his sort of behavior what one would expect for a
clergyman.

When I was growing up, it seemed the parents who had the strictest
"rules of the house" had the wildest kids. Now of course a fair
question is which came first, the wild kid or the strict rules. (In
high school I knew a girl whose parents were extremely strict about
curfews and the like but the girl was quite wild just the same and we
wondered about the cause/effect there as well.)

Old February 20th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.arts.tv,alt.showbiz.gossip,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.parenting.solutions,rec.arts.books
R. Steve Walz

wrote:

[...]

Pathology. Origin of criminals and suicides.
Steve