Good News/Bad News?

Old November 13th 03, 05:07 PM
JG

Default Good News/Bad News?

"PF Riley" wrote in message

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:13:22 GMT, "JG" wrote:

"PF Riley" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:19:33 GMT, "JG"

wrote:

Thirty lashes to you! No more picking on Jeff for his spelling!

It's
Dan AYkroyd, and the segment was called "Count/Pointercount."

I stand corrected. I guessed at the spelling and Googled "Dan

Ackroyd";
22K+ sites have it wrong as well. g I'll take your word
"Point/Counterpoint" vs. "Count/Pointercount"; I'm not THAT anal. :-)

The name "Count/Pointercount" was itself a joke. "Sixty Minutes" at
that time featured a segment called "Point/Counterpoint."

Yes. Now that I think about it, "Point/Counterpoint" was probably(?)
copyrighted; I can't imagine any way CBS would let NBC use it... At any
rate, we could never watch "60 Minutes" again without shouting, "Shana
(Alexander), you ignorant slut!" every time she responded to/challenged
James Kilpatrick. Ah, memories! g (BTW, did anyone else think the
Clinton/Dole revived "P/Cp" was really, REALLY lame?)

(What were you, like 5 or 6 when SNL first aired ['75]? I trust your
recall is based on reruns. g)

Close, but you have overestimated my age.

Sorrrrry, Doogie! ;-)

Old November 13th 03, 06:22 PM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
The name "Count/Pointercount" was itself a joke. "Sixty Minutes" at
that time featured a segment called "Point/Counterpoint."

Yes. Now that I think about it, "Point/Counterpoint" was probably(?)
copyrighted; I can't imagine any way CBS would let NBC use it... At any

It is usual for parodies to modify the names.

rate, we could never watch "60 Minutes" again without shouting, "Shana
(Alexander), you ignorant slut!" every time she responded to/challenged
James Kilpatrick. Ah, memories! g (BTW, did anyone else think the
Clinton/Dole revived "P/Cp" was really, REALLY lame?)

grin Yes, the Clinton/Dole act was lame. The whole show needs
some fresh blood. It is the only show I know that is completely
dominated by old people. Can't CBS find some younger people
to put in front of the camera?

Old November 13th 03, 08:45 PM
JG

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
et...

"JG" wrote
The name "Count/Pointercount" was itself a joke. "Sixty Minutes"

at
that time featured a segment called "Point/Counterpoint."

Yes. Now that I think about it, "Point/Counterpoint" was

probably(?)
copyrighted; I can't imagine any way CBS would let NBC use it... At

any

It is usual for parodies to modify the names.

True. :-)

rate, we could never watch "60 Minutes" again without shouting,

"Shana
(Alexander), you ignorant slut!" every time she responded

to/challenged
James Kilpatrick. Ah, memories! g (BTW, did anyone else think

the
Clinton/Dole revived "P/Cp" was really, REALLY lame?)

grin Yes, the Clinton/Dole act was lame. The whole show needs
some fresh blood. It is the only show I know that is completely
dominated by old people. Can't CBS find some younger people
to put in front of the camera?

Maybe they're striving for Cronkite's** avuncular aura. I checked;
Steve Kroft, at 58, is the youngest "co-editor." (Mike Wallace, 85, is
the oldest.) I suspect Exec. Producer Don Hewitt (81) might have
something to do with it. (How do make yourself feel young? Surround
yourself with older people!) I actually eschew CBS news programming as
much as possible these days. Oh, I'll occasionally tune in to the
evening news to check out the current color/style of Rather's hair, but
that's about it. (Now how shallow is *that*? g)

JG

**I kept hearing "Uncle" Walter's voice emanating from the kitchen every
(weekday) afternoon. It turns out he's the voice of Ben Franklin on
PBS's "Liberty's Kids," an animated show that my daughter enjoys. The
show has a lot of celebrities contributing their voices--even Ah-nuld
and Norman Schwarzkopf!
(http://pbskids.org/libertyskids/bts_talent.html).

Old November 13th 03, 11:36 PM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
Steve Kroft, at 58, is the youngest "co-editor." (Mike Wallace, 85, is
the oldest.) I suspect Exec. Producer Don Hewitt (81) might have
something to do with it. (How do make yourself feel young? Surround
yourself with older people!)

Then there is Andy Rooney.

I actually eschew CBS news programming as
much as possible these days.

I was ready to join the boycott if CBS broadcast the slanderous
docudrama on the Reagans. Here is the amazingly bad script.
http://images.salon.com/news/feature...pt/reagans.pdf

Old November 14th 03, 01:02 AM
JG

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
et...

"JG" wrote
Steve Kroft, at 58, is the youngest "co-editor." (Mike Wallace, 85,

is
the oldest.) I suspect Exec. Producer Don Hewitt (81) might have
something to do with it. (How do make yourself feel young?

Surround
yourself with older people!)

Then there is Andy Rooney.

g Wallace has him beat by half a year.

I actually eschew CBS news programming as
much as possible these days.

I was ready to join the boycott if CBS broadcast the slanderous
docudrama on the Reagans. Here is the amazingly bad script.

http://images.salon.com/news/feature...pt/reagans.pdf

Cool! Thanks! There was a news item last week (it's still available at
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tcoms_sex_dc_2)
about a "Pediatrics" article whose authors found that sitcoms
(specifically, "Friends") are a great source of information about
sex/sexual health for teens. Can you imagine how a whole generation
would perceive RWR if "The Reagans" aired on network TV? (Bad enough
it'll be on Showtime.) Enough with the "artistic/creative license"
crap!

Old November 14th 03, 03:34 AM
Roger Schlafly

"JG" wrote
I was ready to join the boycott if CBS broadcast the slanderous
docudrama on the Reagans. Here is the amazingly bad script.

http://images.salon.com/news/feature...pt/reagans.pdf
Cool! Thanks! There was a news item last week (it's still available at

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...tcoms_sex_dc_2)
about a "Pediatrics" article whose authors found that sitcoms
(specifically, "Friends") are a great source of information about
sex/sexual health for teens.

Sigh. Rachel probably got an abortion, thereby teaching teenagers
some more supposedly-valuable lessons.

Can you imagine how a whole generation
would perceive RWR if "The Reagans" aired on network TV? (Bad enough
it'll be on Showtime.) Enough with the "artistic/creative license" crap!

The script seems amazingly bad. It is as if they tried everything to make
the Reagans look bad. But I think that the writers just assumed that
everyone hates Reagan anyway. I think that most viewers would have
thought that the show is stupid.

Yes, it is bad enough that it will be on Showtime. If it was too
inaccurate for CBS, it should be too inaccurate for Showtime also.

Old November 14th 03, 03:58 AM
JG

[...]

Let's hope those who see it do. ...How seriously can anyone take James
Streis...er, Brolin, after all?

Yes, it is bad enough that it will be on Showtime. If it was too
inaccurate for CBS, it should be too inaccurate for Showtime also.

I wonder how strong any disclaimer ("The persons and events depicted in
the following presentation may be based on documented events, but more
likely they are the product of the writers' biased and fanciful
imaginations...") will be (assuming there IS one!).

Old November 15th 03, 06:43 PM
CBI

"JG" wrote in message
. ..

Cool! Thanks! There was a news item last week (it's still available at

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...nm/sitcoms_sex
_dc_2)
about a "Pediatrics" article whose authors found that sitcoms
(specifically, "Friends") are a great source of information about
sex/sexual health for teens.

More accurately, they said, "Although the featured episode taught many teens
important lessons about sex, Collins conceded that, overall, television
presents a biased image of sex. "

That's probably about right.

--
CBI, MD

Old November 24th 03, 03:37 PM
Wendy

Jeff wrote:
"JG" wrote in message
t...
The article doesn't specify *what* is being injected. As you are
(probably? ....well, *maybe*) aware, there's been speculation for years
that AIDS, in Africa, has been spread by the use of contaminated needles
in the delivery of vaccines.

Speculation. now that is helpful. Ironically, according to the BMJ article,
injection practices in sub-Saharin Africa than parts of the middle-east and
south Asia. So regardless of whether AIDS was spread by contaiminated
needles in the delivery of vaccines in Africa, the use of contaminated
needles is much less. But it is still too high.

I read in an Economist magazine article last month that about 25% of the
HIV positive children in one African nation did NOT have HIV positive
mother. Do you suppose the babies got it from unprotected sex?

Wendy