Cutoff date approaches for foster kids not in school

Old June 25th 03, 04:48 PM
Wex Wimpy

Default Cutoff date approaches for foster kids not in school

Cutoff date approaches for foster kids not in school
By SARA OLKON

July 1 strikes fear in the hearts of teenagers like Yusimil Herrera.

On that day, the Road to Independence Act kicks in the provision
eliminating most types of assistance for foster children 18 and older
who are not enrolled in school.

The law was, among other things, designed to encourage older foster
children to stay in school.

But some critics have deemed the law ''the road to homelessness act''
because, they say, the law is too restrictive, shutting out hundreds
of kids from the adult care and guidance they need.

'When they turn 18, [the state administrators] open the door and say
`see you later,' '' said Gerard F. Glynn, executive director of
Florida's Children First!

Child welfare advocates want to extend assistance for older foster
children, aiding those that are, for example, disabled or so far
behind academically that they are unlikely to be gearing up for
college. An amendment that would do just that passed the Senate during
the regular legislative session and is awaiting a House vote.

A spokesman for Department of Children & Families Secretary Jerry
Regier did not return a call for comment.

The Road to Independence Act, which took effect in October, says
children in foster care can enroll in college full time, and maintain
a passing grade-point average, or they are on their own, save for
provisions that set aside up to $6,000 in housing, employment or
financial subsidies for each youth.

There are no exceptions, even for children with severe disabilities.
That is the problem, critics say.

Melissa Zelniker, an attorney at Legal Aid Services of Broward who is
representing many older foster children, says many of her clients
don't qualify and have already given up on getting benefits.

''I am seeing the everyday effects on these children,'' she said.
``They are living in the slums, six to seven people together.''

Herrera, 19, fears that she and her 2-year-old daughter are headed for
a similar fate. Right now, the pair are crashing at the home of
friends in North Miami Beach.

On Tuesday afternoon, she stood confidently before a room full of
photographers and cameramen at a press conference held at Kids in
Distress, a private child welfare service agency in Wilton Manors.

''I am not afraid to talk,'' she said.

''It's been terrible for me in HRS,'' the acronym for Florida's former
social service agency, now DCF.

She said she has been stymied by efforts to navigate the housing
market by herself, frustrated by DCF's paperwork requirements.

''I really feel the governor should be in HRS for a week,'' she said,
referring to Gov. Jeb Bush. ``I challenge him. To go from home to
home, pack up all of your stuff. You can't stay stable.

``It's so lonely.''
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...ty/6162766.htm