automatic shut-off night light?

Old September 22nd 03, 09:06 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default automatic shut-off night light?

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

Well OK then plug it into an extension cord, and plug that into a
timer outside the room.

That's a possibility.

Or even simpler - have the older boys who object to the light turn it
out just before they get into bed.

All the boys go to bed at the same time. (The toddler naps.) The 10yo
occasionally stays up later to read, but he really gets tired easily and
usually goes right to sleep when the others do.

I'm still convinced there must be a light out there with an auto-shut-off
and we just need to find it. There seem to be lots of crib toys with an
auto-shut-off light and music feature, and I suppose we could snip the
speaker wire on one of those.

But failing that, I think we'll just wire up a small LED light with a
switch in our room so that we can turn it off when we go to bed (or
earlier if we think of it.) More short-term hassle than plugging
in a timer ouside their bedroom, but avoids leaving wires in the way.

--Robyn

Old September 22nd 03, 09:53 PM
David desJardins

Robyn Kozierok writes:
Seems to me the simplest thing would be a timer to plug the
nightlight into.

The ones we've tried all make a humming or ticking sound that the kids
find objectionable.

Are these all mechanical devices? I found several digital timers
(search for "digital plug-in timer"). I would expect these would be
silent when operating, although there might be an audible click when
they actually turn the power on or off.

Here's the most suitable-looking example that I found in a quick scan:

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...ct_code=330225

David desJardins

Old September 23rd 03, 01:42 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

*In article ,
*Peggy Tatyana wrote:
*"Robyn Kozierok" wrote:
*
* I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after
*about
* half an hour.
*
*Seems to me the simplest thing would be a timer to plug the nightlight into.
*
*
*The ones we've tried all make a humming or ticking sound that the kids
*find objectionable.

Get an X10 wall outlet, plug a regular nightlight into it, program it to
be on only during the times you want, and you're all set.

http://www.smarthome.com

Old September 23rd 03, 02:06 AM
David desJardins

Hillary Israeli writes:
Get an X10 wall outlet, plug a regular nightlight into it, program it to
be on only during the times you want, and you're all set.

http://www.smarthome.com

I do have some of these, and they make a loud click when turning on or
off (I think there's a mechanical relay in the unit). It might well be
loud enough to wake someone, I think. I'd hope the purpose-built
integrated timers would be quieter.

David desJardins

Old September 23rd 03, 12:55 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
David desJardins wrote:

*Hillary Israeli writes:
* Get an X10 wall outlet, plug a regular nightlight into it, program it to
* be on only during the times you want, and you're all set.
*
* http://www.smarthome.com
*
*I do have some of these, and they make a loud click when turning on or
*off (I think there's a mechanical relay in the unit). It might well be
*loud enough to wake someone, I think. I'd hope the purpose-built
*integrated timers would be quieter.

Really? We use a number of their controllers and don't have any clicking
noises that I've noticed. That's a surprise.

Old September 23rd 03, 02:05 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

Or even simpler - have the older boys who object to the light turn it
out just before they get into bed.

All the boys go to bed at the same time. (The toddler naps.) The 10yo
occasionally stays up later to read, but he really gets tired easily and
usually goes right to sleep when the others do.

Lucky you. DD complains vociferously if she has to
go to bed when DS does (their bedtimes are normally
8 for DS and 8:45 for DD)

Scott DD 10 and DS 7

Old September 24th 03, 10:55 AM
Pamiamm

Hi Robyn,
I don't know if this is too babyish, but I have a baby monitor for my
2 babies (1 & 2) that could work. It has a night-light feature, or a
"picture show" feature (that's what I call it--it shines on the
ceiling with moons, stars, etc.) They turn off after I think it's 10
minutes. With the other end of the monitor you can turn them back on
from anywhere in the house, if needed. They are also sound activated
(by crying.) There is also an intercom so you can even talk to you
sons through the monitor controller you would have! Ny 2 year old
especially loves the "picture show" as it lulls her to sleep watching
it. It's made by Fisher Price and I got it at Target, so if you are
interested it should be easy to find.

Warmly,
Pam Ragland
www.aiminghigher.com

(Robyn Kozierok) wrote in message ...
I am looking for a night light that will automatically shut off after about
half an hour. My 2.5 yo always complains that it is "too dark" when we
first put him to bed, but then doesn't mind the dark in the middle of the
night. He shares a room with older brothers who don't share his assessment
of "too dark" so I'd like something that emits only a very small amount of
light. Also, if it faded out instead of just shutting straight off, that
would be perfect. Batteries would actually be more convenient than plug-in,
but either is fine. Anyone know of something like this?

Thanks,
--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old June 22nd 04, 06:28 AM

In article ,
Hillary Israeli wrote:
In ,
David desJardins wrote:

*Hillary Israeli writes:
* Get an X10 wall outlet, plug a regular nightlight into it, program it to
* be on only during the times you want, and you're all set.
*
* http://www.smarthome.com
*
*I do have some of these, and they make a loud click when turning on or
*off (I think there's a mechanical relay in the unit). It might well be
*loud enough to wake someone, I think. I'd hope the purpose-built
*integrated timers would be quieter.

Really? We use a number of their controllers and don't have any clicking
noises that I've noticed. That's a surprise.

There are two types of X-10 modules: "appliance" have a relay inside and make
a load click. "Lamp" modules use a TRIAC and are usually silent. They
can only be used for incandescent lighting, but can be used to dim the
lights also. For this application, a lamp module would be perfect. You'll
also need a controller - either manual or timer based. (I've seen a
few defective lamp modules which make a very faint 60Hz hum operated in
dimmer mode)

--
Peter Fales
Peter "at" fales-lorenz.net

--
Peter Fales
Peter "at" fales-lorenz.net

night potty 'training' cara General 27 February 2nd 04 10:35 PM
Sleeping throught the night. esther323 General 12 December 5th 03 07:48 PM
Light so toddler can look around at night? Kooky45 General 12 November 24th 03 05:55 PM
writhing and crying in night Nevermind General 6 August 5th 03 06:16 AM
Screaming in the night (similar to crying in the night post) Sue General 1 August 4th 03 08:53 PM