PixelWhimsy - a Game for infants and toddlers

Old December 29th 07, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids,alt.games,alt.parenting
Eric Jorgensen

Default PixelWhimsy - a Game for infants and toddlers

See: http://www.pixelwhimsy.com for more details.

Seattle, WA, USA - 29 Dec, 2007 -- Niftibits Software today announced the
release of PixelWhimsy, a software toy for all ages.

What is PixelWhimsy?

In a nutshell, PixelWhimsy is a digital sandbox for kids of any age. It
creates a safe play environment that allows children to explore and
experiment with color, sound, physics, and more. It is a software toy, which
means it has no rules, no points, no critical path. Anyone of any ability
can use it to discover, create, and have fun. PixelWhimsy is safe and easy
for toddlers to use, and yet sophisticated enough for older children,
teenagers, and adults to enjoy.

PixelWhimsy functions primarily as an animated painting program. The user
can draw on the screen with the mouse, using either standard colors or
animated colors that shimmer, shift and glide. The keyboard also comes into
play, exposing a rich set features that create sound and alter the image in
dynamic and interesting ways. Every single key is programmed to play a
unique sound and activate a unique feature. Just some of the many features
include: changing the shape of the brush, launching fireworks, simulated
bees, and activating whole-screen psychedelic animation effects.

Usability for very young children is one of the primary features of
PixelWhimsy. Toddlers who want to use the computer will often pound randomly
on the keyboard, which means they can accidentally close the application,
and that leaves them free to possibly delete or alter files on the computer's
desktop. PixelWhimsy carefully controls mouse and keyboard input so that it
is impossible to exit the program unless the user types in a simple exit
code. This code, which can be set by a parent, is something easy for an
adult to type, but difficult for a toddler, so little ones can safely press
whatever keys they desire. PixelWhimsy can also be configured as a playable
screensaver, so children can play it without having to "log in" to mom and
dad's computer.

It is the interactive combinations that give PixelWhimsy its unique
character. Every key truly does something crazy and unique, and because the
functions all affect the same graphical space, users can create an infinite
number of unusual drawing environments. For instance, one key activates a
"game of life" mode where the pixels live and die by following simple rules.
With this activated, the user can draw on this animated canvas, creating
populations of new pixels to live and interact with those already on the
screen. In another mode, the user can start a rain storm that slowly blurs
and washes away the contents of the screen to make impressionistic water
color drawings. Dozens of animations can be combined in virtually limitless
combinations.

PixelWhimsy is US$19.95 shareware, with discounts for educators and other
bulk purchasers. It is available from www.pixelwhimsy.com and major
shareware ftp sites.

System Requirements: Any PC running Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Major Features

.. A learnable interface that is easy and safe to use for small children,
infants, and toddlers
.. Many graphics and sound functions that offer infinite and interesting
combinations for play.
.. A graphical user interface for more advanced users
.. "Fun Keys" to enable easy access to popular and interesting feature
combinations
.. Screensaver mode (playable or standard)
.. Windowed/Full screen modes
.. Easy configuration

What Other People Have Said About PixelWhimsy

"THANK YOU THANK YOU..and again THANK YOU. Havar Inc. serves people who have
developmental disabilities. We are using this program and projecting it on
the wall. All kinds of cause and effect learning going on and entertainment
too." - David Miliken

"My 5 yo loves to play with it, my personal favorite is the fireworks, and
my 1yo is now hooked on using my laptop." - Francios Burianek

"When I turned on [PixelWhimsy] for my 1 year old son he got so excited he
wanted to climb up to the computer monitor and touch the shapes. I have
never seen him get this engaged with a program. He loves [PixelWhimsy]. He
draws shapes on it, makes sounds and then shows them to the whole family.
Also my 8-year old likes drawing shapes with it." - Asim Jalis

"I just launched PixelWhimsy and wish you were nearby so I could buy you
lunch. It's wonderful . [my 18-month old] woke up late last night, unhappy
due to teething, and flipped out over the program. It took his mind right
off his discomfort. We have the JumpStart Toddlers program: great for
exposure to numbers/letters/etc., but yours rocks for creativity and
intrigue." - Jeremy

Availability

PixelWhimsy is available now, and may be downloaded through our
Web site at http://www.pixelwhimsy.com/.

About Niftibits Software

Niftibits Software was founded in 2007 by Eric Jorgensen, who has been
creating shareware toys, games, and tools for over a decade.

Recommend a game boy style handheld game Ignoramus18452 General 7 November 20th 07 05:55 PM
Everthing for infants and toddlers tvegas General 1 January 14th 07 10:51 PM
A fun game MsLiz General 0 January 2nd 06 08:26 PM
Great game for kids 12+ Breakscore® a fast moving strategic board game of challenge, chance and skill. bolero48 General 0 October 9th 05 10:51 AM
Bath frequently for infants and toddlers? P. Tierney General 91 February 20th 05 02:49 PM