Little One HATES the car seat!

Old October 30th 03, 05:41 PM
Rosalie B.

Default Little One HATES the car seat!

Elizabeth Gardner wrote:

In article 2RRnb.215974$9l5.50262@pd7tw2no,
Alicia wrote:

My beautiful baby boy is now almost 12 weeks old, and since he was about 4
weeks old, he has hated the car seat! He screams like we're doing something
terrible to him, goes as stiff as a board when we try to put him in it and
sobs for about 15 minutes after we take him out. It is horrible! I hate to
hear him scream like that, but I have to be able to go out with him in the
car! Does anyone have any advice for how to make this less of a trial for
him? I don't want him to grow up hating to be in the car, or thinking that
we don't care because we keep putting him in there.
Alicia

Ours despised riding backwards. In light of her subsequent personality
development, we think it might have been because she didn't have
anything to look at. She yelled at the top of her lungs most of the way
home from the hospital, until we hit a stretch of bumpy road the last
few miles that somehow lulled her to sleep.

Anyway we used to be able to distract her by singing, which would put
off the crying for maybe ten minutes. Around here, that's enough time to
get a lot of places. We obtained a tape of lullabies when she was about
four months old, which helped sometimes. We also hung some chewable
keys and other toys from the handle of the seat, which sometimes kept
her occupied. Otherwise, we just let her cry herself to sleep.

Once she was old enough to ride frontwards, things got much better.

This was never a problem for me because we didn't even HAVE backward
facing car seats when mine were growing up.

Most people seem to say that it gets better when they can face
forward. I know that the carseats are safer when they face backward,
but what would be the tradeoff of turning them around earlier to see
whether that was what it was? (like you know they are better off
sleeping on their back, but when they turn over by themselves you more
or less have to let them sleep on their tummies)

If it didn't work, then you'd have to think of something else, but at
least if it did work, you'd know you had a finite time before it would
get better, and you could perhaps rethink the idea of whether you HAVE
TO go out with him in the car. There are still people with no cars -
they walk or use public transportation. It might not be easy for you,
but it does not seem easy for him either. You could wait to do the
errands until your dh was home, or get someone in to baby sit.

If it was lack of things to see, you could figure out something for
them to watch (a mirror?)

If it was car-sickness, what would be the problem with giving them
anti-nausea medication? What do doctors prescribe for babies who have
to fly for some reason?

grandma Rosalie

Old October 30th 03, 07:32 PM
Harold Buck

In article ,
Elizabeth Gardner wrote:

We also hung some chewable
keys and other toys from the handle of the seat, which sometimes kept
her occupied.

If you're talking about the carrying handle of your infant car seat (the
kind with a detachable base), these handles should NOT be left in the up
position when driving. The handles can cause injuries in a crash.

Yes, I know you see lots of people driving around with the handles up,
but the state trooper who did our car-seat check insisted it's very
dangerous.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

Old October 30th 03, 08:59 PM
Laura Faussone

Harold Buck wrote:

In article ,
Elizabeth Gardner wrote:

We also hung some chewable
keys and other toys from the handle of the seat, which sometimes kept
her occupied.

If you're talking about the carrying handle of your infant car seat (the
kind with a detachable base), these handles should NOT be left in the up
position when driving. The handles can cause injuries in a crash.

Yes, I know you see lots of people driving around with the handles up,
but the state trooper who did our car-seat check insisted it's very
dangerous.

I *think* there is an infant seat where having the handle up is OK, but most
need the handle down for structural integrity -- it should be in the manual
that comes with the seat.

Laura

Old October 30th 03, 09:03 PM
David desJardins

Harold Buck writes:
If you're talking about the carrying handle of your infant car seat
(the kind with a detachable base), these handles should NOT be left in
the up position when driving. The handles can cause injuries in a
crash.

Can you cite any published reference with actual data to back up this
risk? I'm pretty skeptical of it. I do think the manufacturers
recommend lowering the handle, but that's not the same as an actual
risk. I have never seen any description of an actual injury related to
this (but that doesn't mean it's not possible).

David desJardins

Old October 30th 03, 09:04 PM
David desJardins

Harold Buck writes:
If you're talking about the carrying handle of your infant car seat (the
kind with a detachable base), these handles should NOT be left in the up
position when driving. The handles can cause injuries in a crash.

After writing my last response (expressing doubt about this risk), I
found this:

http://www.drspock.com/article/0,1510,5428,00.html

Many parents make the mistake of leaving the carrying handle up when
they put their infant's seat in the car. The handle is designed to
lend extra structural support when the seat is installed in the car,
but to gain this extra support, the handle should be set back behind
the head of the seat in most instances.

I find this explanation more plausible than the handle-injury theory.
It still seems that the number of cases in which it would make a
difference would be very small, though.

David desJardins

Old October 30th 03, 09:07 PM
Splanche

Most people seem to say that it gets better when they can face
forward. I know that the carseats are safer when they face backward,
but what would be the tradeoff of turning them around earlier to see
whether that was what it was?

Tradeoff might be a broken neck in a car accident.
Rear facing for infants protects them better since their heads are
disproportionately large to their bodies, and their necks are not strong, if
memory serves me.

Old October 30th 03, 10:09 PM
Elizabeth Gardner

In article
,
Harold Buck wrote:

In article ,
Elizabeth Gardner wrote:

We also hung some chewable
keys and other toys from the handle of the seat, which sometimes kept
her occupied.

If you're talking about the carrying handle of your infant car seat (the
kind with a detachable base), these handles should NOT be left in the up
position when driving. The handles can cause injuries in a crash.

Yes, I know you see lots of people driving around with the handles up,
but the state trooper who did our car-seat check insisted it's very
dangerous.

Too late! She's even too big for most booster seats these days. They
hadn't invented detachable bases when we were using the kind of seat
that had a handle, and I don't recall there being a warning about
leaving it up, though there may have been. Heaven knows, my brain was
filled with cotton balls during that period. If it's dangerous, then of
course don't do it. But if there's a way to leave some kind of safe toy
safely in reach, it might head off some infant distress.

Old October 30th 03, 10:49 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
David desJardins wrote:
Harold Buck writes:
If you're talking about the carrying handle of your infant car seat
(the kind with a detachable base), these handles should NOT be left in
the up position when driving. The handles can cause injuries in a
crash.

Can you cite any published reference with actual data to back up this
risk? I'm pretty skeptical of it. I do think the manufacturers
recommend lowering the handle, but that's not the same as an actual
risk. I have never seen any description of an actual injury related to
this (but that doesn't mean it's not possible).

This isn't the level of data you're looking for, but
http://www.carseatsite.com/FAQ.htm says:

Does the handle need to be down on an infant seat?

Yes. You should always put the handle of an infant seat in the down
position while in the car. If there is not enough room to put the
handle down in your vehicle, rotate the handle down further toward the
floor. In a crash, the infant seat will rebound into the back seat.
If the handle is up, it could break and seriously injure the infant or
another passenger. The Britax Handle With Care is the only infant seat
with a reinforced handle that can be upright in the car.

I don't know if there is any data on actual or crash-test situations
in which this hypothetical danger has been realized.

--Robyn

Booster Seat Recommendations valerie ramano General 15 July 18th 04 08:50 PM
car seat placement? Karen General 11 February 18th 04 07:51 PM
Annoying car seat problem M. Tettnanger General 4 December 24th 03 05:44 PM
Need car seat recommendation AnnaS General 7 December 23rd 03 08:48 AM
car seat problem Jayne Kulikauskas General (moderated) 7 July 7th 03 10:44 AM