Any Experience with Vision Therapy

Old August 22nd 07, 05:11 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

Default Any Experience with Vision Therapy

Does anyone have any input or experience with vision therapy.

One of my kids was referred to a Vision Therapy Clinic for an initial eval
and I wasn't going to make the appointment because it sounded like a crock
Then someone I know and respect said it was the real deal so now I'm
wondering what others think.

TIA

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old August 22nd 07, 05:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Nikki wrote:
Does anyone have any input or experience with vision therapy.

One of my kids was referred to a Vision Therapy Clinic for an initial eval
and I wasn't going to make the appointment because it sounded like a crock
Then someone I know and respect said it was the real deal so now I'm
wondering what others think.

no experience, I had to google it to check it was the same as what I
thought it was, actually, thinking about it again, maybe I did it myself
as a kid, I never had a patch, but I have vague recollections of the
optician teaching me to do some different things - problem is, I don't
know what my problem was so I don't know if it got cured! Though I did
stop wearing glasses for a bit before needing them again for short
sightedness and astigmatism. I don't see why it wouldn't help with some
problems, I mean there are a lot of muscles around the eye, so plenty of
scope for changing how they work - I'd at least get the assessment and
find out how much they think they can help etc.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 22nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to misc.kids
Tori M[_2_]

Nikki wrote:
Does anyone have any input or experience with vision therapy.

One of my kids was referred to a Vision Therapy Clinic for an initial eval
and I wasn't going to make the appointment because it sounded like a crock
Then someone I know and respect said it was the real deal so now I'm
wondering what others think.

TIA

There was actually an article in the home school magazine I get about
Vision Therapy this month. She said it helped her daughter a lot.

Tori
Old August 22nd 07, 04:28 PM posted to misc.kids
bizby40

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
Nikki wrote:
[...]

The vision therapy I'm aware of is not about improving eyesight per se
as much as it's about improving tracking ability. I don't have
personal experience with it, but I do have an acquaintance who swears
by it. She has two sons, and while it was her older that it was
initially suggested for, it is her younger that was the one that ended
up going through it. I've wondered about it for my own son. He has
vision problems too, and has been through partial occlusion therapy to
improve it -- he's now able to get the 20/25 line consistently, and
some letters on the 20/20 line -- but I've noticed that when he's
reading, he tends to skip over words and/or lose his place easily.

Bizby

Old August 22nd 07, 08:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

The vision therapy I'm aware of is not about improving eyesight per se
as much as it's about improving tracking ability.

I think though, that poor tracking can mean you test as needing glasses,
but they aren't a full solution, but can still help partially, sometimes
a lens can force your eye to work in a certain way, thus changing how
it works and potentially being part of correcting some kind of vision
problems. I'm trying to dig around in my mind for what I needed glasses
for, I know they definitely had in long sight lens, rather than those
for short sightedness, I think I wore them for reading, but I also
remember being told to read at a certain distance and sit a certain
amount away from the TV, which were difficult for me to focus on. These
days my eyes test and perform just as you would expect someone with
classic short sightedness and astigmatism to test.

cheers
Anne
Old December 24th 07, 05:20 AM posted to misc.kids
Nikki

"Nikki" wrote in message
Does anyone have any input or experience with vision therapy.

One of my kids was referred to a Vision Therapy Clinic for an initial eval
and I wasn't going to make the appointment because it sounded like a crock
Then someone I know and respect said it was the real deal so now I'm
wondering what others think.

thanks guys. I think if appropriate there is a therapy you go to once a
month, not glasses. If I decide to do it I'll post an update

vision therapy- anyone with experience? k wallace Kids Health 7 October 12th 05 02:44 PM
Vision Therapy? bizby40 General 9 August 12th 05 03:57 AM
vision therapy [email protected] Kids Health 7 July 12th 05 05:20 PM
vision therapy [email protected] Kids Health 0 June 29th 05 09:32 PM
ADHD Therapy - no drugs/Experience anyone? Mary E. Hill General 47 August 27th 04 01:08 AM