Age for stopping high chair?

Old October 28th 03, 12:06 PM
Nancy P

Default Age for stopping high chair?

I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

Old October 28th 03, 12:25 PM
Nikki

Nancy P wrote:
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop
using the highchair?

Hunter never used one. Luke was around 13 months when he started refusing
one and moved to a booster.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 28th 03, 12:36 PM
gale

"Nancy P" wrote in message
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

DS was *really* into *not* being encaged in the high chair. At about 18
months he moved to a booster on a dining room chair and was much less
fidgity. Now he's so tall, at 8, that his feet touch the floor quite
readily when he's sitting in the dining room chair!

Each kid is different. If your's is not objecting to the high chair and you
don't need it for someone else, I don't see any areas of concern for the
moment, as long as your DD will not make a huge scene when a high chair is
not available.

-A-
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Old October 28th 03, 01:30 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes "Nancy P" wrote:

I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

I don't really remember because it wasn't an issue. I think it was
pretty much before another kid came along who needed it, or they got
too big to fit.

It sounds as though the booster chair was less comfortable for her.
And I can see that it might be depending on the booster. A high chair
typically has a back to it so she could lean back against it. She
also might like being up higher than the table. Look at it as an
ergonomic issue.

What does she do when you go out to a restaurant (if you do)? If the
restaurant has only booster chairs, does she sit in one or would
she/you rather have her on the seat of a booth? What is she eating
and how important is it to have the mess confined? (I used to use a
vinyl tablecloth as a drop cloth under the high chair and then I could
shake the excess food off outside and put it in the wash)

grandma Rosalie
Old October 28th 03, 04:27 PM
Clisby

Nancy P wrote:
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

I can't remember exactly, but my daughter used it at least until she was
3, sitting in it like a regular chair (in other words, no restraints and
no high-chair tray - just shove the chair up to the table. My
21-month-old is doing that now, and I'd expect him to use it for at
least another year. He's nowhere near tall enough to sit in a regular
chair, and boosters seem a lot more unstable to me.

Clisby

Old October 28th 03, 04:32 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Nancy P wrote:

I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

My twins started really protesting so I switched them to boosters at 23
months old.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old October 28th 03, 05:46 PM
Sue

I don't remember the ages, sorry. But, I know it was when they told me that
they wanted to sit in a booster. I would have to say around 3 years old
though. My kids are on the short side though.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 28th 03, 07:02 PM
Brandy Kurtz

"Nancy P" wrote in message ...
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

My son stopped using his at 1 year, my daughter at 2 years, and our
third baby is 15 months and I see no end in sight. She really gets
excited when we take the high chair out. I guess if they are in no
danger, let them use it as long as they want to.

Brandy
Old October 28th 03, 07:30 PM
hobbes

"Nancy P" wrote in message
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

Oh, I'm figuring DS will eat neatly enough to leave his highchair about the
time he starts Kindergarten. Seriously.

Well, maybe I'm not being that serious, but the kid still needs his
highchair at 2.5. He likes it. He could hang out, s l o w l y eating for
hours if I'd let him. He has done okay in a booster from time to time, but
it's going to take some doing to get him to leave the highchair for good.
The highchair has the added benefit of keeping him still long enough to eat
a decent meal--if he feels he has the option of getting up (not that we let
him hop up from the table just because he feels like it, but the fact of not
being strapped in does make for the battle to ensue), he simply will eat two
bites and want to run.

Now that DD is 6 months, I'm starting to worry that we'll have to get two
high chairs. Well, I won't go that far, but just wanted to let you know that
there are kids out there who keep using highchairs for quite a while.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 8 months) & Arwen (6 months)

Old October 28th 03, 07:46 PM
HollyLewis

I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

One day DS just refused to sit in his high chair. I don't remember for sure
whether it was before or after his second birthday, but somewhere around then I
think. I had expected to use it longer, actually (was hoping not to have to
use a booster at all, but just have him in the high chair until he was tall
enough to sit comfortably in a regular chair).

He will sit in his booster at home, but absolutely refuses to use them in
restaurants. Sigh.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs