Age for stopping high chair?

Old October 28th 03, 08:24 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default Age for stopping high chair?

In ,
HollyLewis wrote:

*One day DS just refused to sit in his high chair. I don't remember for sure
*whether it was before or after his second birthday, but somewhere around then I
*think. I had expected to use it longer, actually (was hoping not to have to
*use a booster at all, but just have him in the high chair until he was tall
*enough to sit comfortably in a regular chair).

Jacob stopped using his high chair and started using a booster chair at
home some time in the vicinity of 20 mos old. This was planned - we wanted
to have the high chair for Naomi, but didn't want to kick him out of it
suddenly after her arrival. At some point after Naomi's arrival, we had
some friends over with their child who was Jacob's age. We pulled out a
spare booster seat for the other child and her parents said 'no, that's
ok, she'll sit on the chair without it." Ever since then, Jacob has
refused a booster!

Old October 28th 03, 08:34 PM
cloud nine

My son is still using his and he's 29 months. He has a booster but for some
reason, still prefers his high chair, which is fine with me!

Sue

Old October 28th 03, 09:01 PM
Karen

Just last week or so DS 3yr 5mo said he didn't want to sit in his high
chair, he wanted to sit in a big boy chair. For The past six months or
so maybe we've not been usung his fold-up booster when we go out, to
Gramma's etc, and just recently we'd been on vacation and he sat up at
the picnic table camping and at the regular table in the cabin, etc.

Similar pattern to him deciding a couple months ago he was ready to stop
cosleeping and have his own big boy bed. We'd been to a relative's
house, and made up a bed for him on a futon on the floor next to our bed
with a sleeping bag I'd bought him. He was very proud of his bed and a
few weeks later at home he said he wanted me to make a bed for him on
the floor and when we got to the bottom of it, what he really wanted was
his own bed. So we went out and bought him a bed, and after a week or so
of adjustment he hasn't really looked back.

A few months back same thing happened with diapers, and just today he
said to me, Mom, you don't always have to get me dressed, I can do it
myself, just get the clothes out for me and I can put them on myself.
And he pretty much did.

Our philosophy has always been not to push or rush him towards
independence, he'll let us know one way or another when he's ready for
something, and these past six months or so have been one big drive
towards independence and big boy stuff. It is helpful though to have
some idea when other kids are doing things, so you know to keep your
eyes open for the signals. His behavior has been a bit erratic because I
think he's not quite comfortable with his big boyness yet, but overall
he's very proud of himself. So there's a long answer to a short question.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old October 28th 03, 09:51 PM
Irene

"Nancy P" wrote in message ...
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

DS first discovered boosters when we were visiting his cousins, at
about 18 months. After that, he decided he didn't really want to sit
in his high chair, and we were also starting to get a little nervous
simply because he can be a bit energetic and we were worrying that he
might tip it over. So, we did get a booster, but made sure to get one
with straps both for attaching to the chair and for strapping in DS.
I forget exactly when he stopped using it, but maybe around his second
birthday? He occasionally uses one when we're out, but hardly ever.

I wasn't sorry to pack up the booster - because it had the straps, it
also had lots of nooks and crannies to clean, which got annoying.
However, I have had to get a little more flexible about letting him
leave the dinner table before the grownups are done, since it didn't
seem like a fight I wanted every night. So, we've chosen to let him go
play in the next room when he's done, although we insist on staying at
the table until we are done! (He often tries to drag us away from our
dinner to play downstairs or outside or whatever.)

And I'm sure that's more information than you really wanted!

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/04
Old October 28th 03, 10:09 PM
P. Tierney

"Nancy P" wrote in message
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

We switched at around the 16th month.

P. Tierney

Old October 29th 03, 06:49 AM
Lejla/Lyla

"Nancy P" wrote in message
I know everyone's different, but at what age did your children stop using
the highchair? DD, almost 20 months, is still going strong, although she
used her booster for about 2 weeks when she was 17 months. One day she
stopped wanting to sit in it. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a general
sense.

Thanks,
Nancy

DD is almost 3 yrs and she still sits in a high-chair that has a fold on
table and can be lowered and used as a little chair. I never used any of the
provided restraining belts as the table clicks into place. She knows this is
her chair at dinner time, but will sometimes climb onto one of the proper
chairs or switch between them during meal times.
I also use it when we I am short with time and she wants to play with
paints, but less rarely than before.

Lejla
DD 02 Nov 2000

Old October 29th 03, 05:14 PM
Sophie

I don't really remember because it wasn't an issue. I think it was
pretty much before another kid came along who needed it,

grandma Rosalie

That's how it worked for us.

Old October 29th 03, 09:45 PM
Mamma Mia

we got some kiddie size chairs and dragged an old coffee table into the
kitchen for in b/w high chair and big table. was a bit cluttered, but
worked well, espeically when we had other kids hwere as well. that all
co-incided with me being pregnant and minimising lifting.

Old October 31st 03, 11:57 AM
Nancy P

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes "Nancy P" wrote:

What does she do when you go out to a restaurant (if you do)? If the
restaurant has only booster chairs, does she sit in one or would
she/you rather have her on the seat of a booth? What is she eating
and how important is it to have the mess confined? (I used to use a
vinyl tablecloth as a drop cloth under the high chair and then I could
shake the excess food off outside and put it in the wash)

grandma Rosalie

In a restaurant she'll sit in a highchair until she gets too squirmy, then
join us on a regular chair. We don't go out to eat hardly at all...she has
a hard time sitting that long. I'm not worried about mess...I also have a
vinyl tablecloth.

Nancy