Flu Shot for toddler?

Old October 28th 03, 06:18 PM
Jenn

Default Flu Shot for toddler?

Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

Thank you so much!
Jenn
Old October 28th 03, 06:21 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Jenn wrote:

*Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
*daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
*share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
*daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
*really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
*shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
*advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

I just got flu shots for my 1 year old and 3 year old yesterday, actually.
You know, the CDC will officially be recommending it for the older
toddlers next year anyway; this year's recommendation doesn't cover those
over 24 mos, so you may not get insurance reimbursement.

Old October 28th 03, 07:10 PM
SarahH

Jenn wrote:

Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

Thank you so much!
Jenn

My 3yo (nearly 4) will be having it on Monday. Its not standard to have
it here unless you are in a risk group and she has asthma. She had her
first this time last year. For the first dose she had to have 2 shots 1
month apart. She also had her pneumococcal at the same time (also not
standard, even for asthmatics but Ive got a nice doctor) I didnt notice
any yucky side effects with her and she didnt feel the flu jabs.

Sarah H

Old October 28th 03, 07:41 PM
Nikki

Jenn wrote:
Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

I'm trying to decide this year as well. I have in all their previous years
as I've always used outside child care of some sort but not this winter.
I'm leaning towards getting it ......after all, we go to the McD's ball pit
and that think screams contagious gluck, Lol. Mine have never had any kind
of reaction to the vaccine at all.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 28th 03, 08:59 PM
Mary W.

Jenn wrote:

Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

DD (2.5yrs) just got hers today. Hardly cried, and got a pumpkin sticker.
She got it last year too. Be aware that if its the first time for a child
get the flu shot, they may need to get two shots ~ 2 weeks apart (DD
got two shots last year).

DD is in daycare, FWIW.

Mary

Old October 28th 03, 10:04 PM
P. Tierney

"Jenn" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

I can't think of any reason not to, unless one really doesn't
consider oneself at risk. My 22 month old, staying at home,
got one, in part because her mother works around sick kids,
and in part because she has friends that she plays with, and
who knows where they've been. Unless your child is fairly
isolated, I'd get one.

P. Tierney

Old October 29th 03, 05:12 PM
kristi

"P. Tierney" wrote in message news:1KBnb.39847$9E1.151056@attbi_s52...
"Jenn" wrote in message
om...
Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

I can't think of any reason not to, unless one really doesn't
consider oneself at risk. My 22 month old, staying at home,
got one, in part because her mother works around sick kids,
and in part because she has friends that she plays with, and
who knows where they've been. Unless your child is fairly
isolated, I'd get one.

P. Tierney

And *you* and anyone who interacts with your child would have to be
fairly isolated, too--

Kristi
Old October 29th 03, 06:52 PM
Cathy Weeks

(Jenn) wrote in message . com...
Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

There's another thread on this at misc.kids.breastfeeding. You might
want to check it out.

A year ago, we declined the shot for my (then) 9 month old. She wasn't
in daycare, and was in good health. She was also breastfeeding so
would get some natural protection via my immune system. She did get a
couple of "stomach flu" illnesses (including one with a fever), but I
don't believe she actually got influenza.

This year, she's now 22 months old, still in good health, and still
breastfeeds, but attends daycare 3 days per week. She also has caught
several colds and roseola from kids there. So...since the CDC
recommends it for kids 6 months - 2 years, and she's not yet 2, I'm
having her vaccinated. However next year, unless something changes in
her situation, I won't have her vaccinated.

My understanding is that the vaccine is recommended for this age
group, because the risk of flu complications is equal to that of the
elderly, both of which are much higher than that of people who are
neither very old or young. And the vaccine risks are lower than their
(elderly and infants) risk of flu complications.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old October 29th 03, 07:22 PM
K, T, E & N

I got flu shots for my 3 y.o. and 5 y.o., but we're all going to be
traveling out of the country next month. Flying, too, where you get exposed
in a contained area.

As a SAHM and a child that's not 'out' in group much, if you wash hands
diligently you'd all probably be fine. Consider where you may be going in
the near future and chances of exposure.

Kim

Old October 30th 03, 08:48 PM
Nic

Hi - I'm trying to decide whether or not to get my 2 1/2 year old
daughter a flu shot. Do any of the moms & dads here have any advice to
share? I am a stay at home mom (so she's not in daycare) and my
daughter has no health problems, but when she does get sick - she gets
really sick (high fevers, etc.) My husband and I just got our flu
shots and my daughter's doctor's office recommends it for her age. Any
advice/help? Has anyone got it for their toddlers?

Thank you so much!
Jenn

I wouldn't give it to her..A flu is easier to accept for a 2 week period
than giving her the shot and having something go wrong and having to live
it for the rest of her life!. The vaccines changes from year to year to
keep up with the most common influenza virus that is circulating around.
One of the more serious side effects can be life-threatening allergic
reaction (anaphylactoid shock) and or neurological disorders. Oh and just
so you know there is egg content and mercury in the injection. If given
your daughter should recieve no more then .25ml.

Having said this... What did the parents do before the flu shot was invented
? Nothing.... cause there wasn't a option to put anything in to your child's
body. Since you are a stay at home mum I wouldn't advise getting her done
since she isn't out and about spreading coughs or colds. And doesn't appear
to be in a high risk group.

My 2 children haven't had the flu shot.
just my 2 cents worth
Nic