6 month update (xposted)

Old March 18th 06, 12:27 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default 6 month update (xposted)

Hi folks,

I haven't been keeping up very well with mkp or mkb
--- life is just too busy with two kids and a job ---
but I wanted to pop in a post an update in case there
are folks around who remember me (I do see some familiar
names still).

DS2 is now 6 months old. He had his 6 month WBV yesterday.
Weighed in at 21lbs (95th %ile), measured 28" (90-95th
%ile)! And all of that on mama's milk :-) Milestone wise,
he's been sitting up very well for a least a month, and
scootches (if slowly). If you put him somewhere sitting
up, with a few minutes he'll be a few feet away, still
sitting up. He can also push up to all fours when on his
tummy. He's not rolling yet (either way), but the ped.
wasn't worried about that. She said that milestone is
really just for checking for muscle tone, which he clearly
has just fine.

He's a very chatty kid, and started doing some babbling
a couple of weeks ago (mostly tatatata and dadadada, which
has DH pleased!). I can tell that he understands a few words
already, especially "milk", his name, and his brother's name.
The other day I was talking to him in French on a lark and
he looked at me very quizzically. That's also evidence of
language acquisition: What are those funny sounds mommy?
That doesn't sound like the language I'm learning!

The treatment for his clubfoot is going well. He was
out of his last cast back in November, and in February
had his brace time reduced to 12hrs/day (overnight).
It will probably be like that for 2-3 more years, with
quarterly check ups for a while. The foot is nicely
corrected and now we're just keeping an eye to make sure
there's no relapse.

DS1 and DS2 are getting along wonderfully. DS1 is the most
talented at getting big laughs from DS2. DS1 ("three and
ten-twelfths") loves doing the same thing over and over and
getting a reaction each time. DS2 loves watching the same
thing over and over and giving a reaction each time! When
I picked DS1 up from preschool yesterday and told him about
DS2's WBV, he was bitterly disappointed that he didn't get
to come. This surprised me, but in the end we agreed he
could come to the next one if he promises to be quiet during
the appointment.

Last weekend we flew to my in-laws' place for a choroonu
(Malayalee first foods ceremony), where DS2 had his taste
buds "awakened" to all the different flavors. He was a bit
surprised at first, and then really got into it. Everyone
took turns feeding him a little taste and he started looking
expectantly --- who's going to bring me something next?
The only down side was that we all picked up a nasty cold
from the plane flight --- DS1 has just come down with it
now.

As for me, aside from having this cold, I'm feeling pretty
good. At 6 months postpartum, I have about 5 pounds left
to lose, which is great, considering that I gained about
50 with this pregnancy, and about 25 were left after giving
birth and losing the water weight in the first few weeks.
My hair is thinning out again (sigh), and my linea negra is
fading (though still visible). I fit into many of my pre-pg
clothes, though not all of them. When I've finished losing
those last 5 pounds, I plan to visit Nordy's and have a
session with the personal shopper. With so many pg-related
weight fluctuations in the past five years, it's been quite
a while since I've gotten any really nice work clothes!

--
Emily
DS1 5/02
Old March 18th 06, 03:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Emily wrote:
Hi folks,

SNIP

Hi, Emily! waving!

Glad to hear all is well. DS1 and DS2 sound adorable!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old March 18th 06, 10:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi, Emily. Can't believe they are getting so big--I remember Toby's
first foods ceremony!

Leslie

Old March 19th 06, 04:06 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jamie Clark wrote:
Emily wrote:

Hi folks,

SNIP

Hi, Emily! waving!

Glad to hear all is well. DS1 and DS2 sound adorable!

They are How are your girls? I caught a little bit here
about Addie's seizures. I hope things are getting under
control!

Emily
--
DS1 5/02
DS2 9/05
Old March 19th 06, 04:07 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Leslie wrote:
Hi, Emily. Can't believe they are getting so big--I remember Toby's
first foods ceremony!

Time sure flies, doesn't it? Toby is such a big kid now.
He's sitting on the toilet right now reading _Ozma of Oz_...
Still a great eater, too.

--
Emily
DS1 5/02
Old March 19th 06, 07:52 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Emily wrote:
Jamie Clark wrote:
Emily wrote:

Hi folks,

SNIP

Hi, Emily! waving!

Glad to hear all is well. DS1 and DS2 sound adorable!

They are How are your girls? I caught a little bit here
about Addie's seizures. I hope things are getting under
control!

You must have been skimming...Taylor had the seizures. : ) She's fine now.
On meds, and hasn't had any more. Had a blood draw on Friday to check her
levels and make sure her liver and kidney aren't being compromised or
affected. Hope to hear back in a few days.

Old March 19th 06, 01:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Jamie Clark wrote:
Emily wrote:

Jamie Clark wrote:

Emily wrote:

Hi folks,

SNIP

Hi, Emily! waving!

Glad to hear all is well. DS1 and DS2 sound adorable!

They are How are your girls? I caught a little bit here
about Addie's seizures. I hope things are getting under
control!

You must have been skimming...Taylor had the seizures. : ) She's fine now.
On meds, and hasn't had any more. Had a blood draw on Friday to check her
levels and make sure her liver and kidney aren't being compromised or
affected. Hope to hear back in a few days.

Yep --- skimming. I'm glad to hear the meds are working, and I hope
her tests come back good!

Emily
Old March 21st 06, 04:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Emily wrote:

I haven't been keeping up very well with mkp or mkb
--- life is just too busy with two kids and a job ---
but I wanted to pop in a post an update in case there
are folks around who remember me (I do see some familiar
names still).

Thanks for the update -- they sound like they're growing so nicely!

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old March 21st 06, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Emily" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I haven't been keeping up very well with mkp or mkb
--- life is just too busy with two kids and a job ---
but I wanted to pop in a post an update in case there
are folks around who remember me (I do see some familiar
names still).

I've been missing you and wondering how you've been doing!

DS2 is now 6 months old. He had his 6 month WBV yesterday.
Weighed in at 21lbs (95th %ile), measured 28" (90-95th
%ile)! And all of that on mama's milk :-) Milestone wise,
he's been sitting up very well for a least a month, and
scootches (if slowly). If you put him somewhere sitting
up, with a few minutes he'll be a few feet away, still
sitting up. He can also push up to all fours when on his
tummy. He's not rolling yet (either way), but the ped.
wasn't worried about that. She said that milestone is
really just for checking for muscle tone, which he clearly
has just fine.

Oh, my he sounds like he's doing marvelously. Grant is the same weight,
but a couple inches shorter. LOL Can you believe it's been a half a year
already??

He's a very chatty kid, and started doing some babbling
a couple of weeks ago (mostly tatatata and dadadada, which
has DH pleased!). I can tell that he understands a few words
already, especially "milk", his name, and his brother's name.
The other day I was talking to him in French on a lark and
he looked at me very quizzically. That's also evidence of
language acquisition: What are those funny sounds mommy?
That doesn't sound like the language I'm learning!

Oh, how cute! I bet hubby is pretty happy with the dadadada.

The treatment for his clubfoot is going well. He was
out of his last cast back in November, and in February
had his brace time reduced to 12hrs/day (overnight).
It will probably be like that for 2-3 more years, with
quarterly check ups for a while. The foot is nicely
corrected and now we're just keeping an eye to make sure
there's no relapse.

I've been wondering how his clubfoot is doing. I'm so glad you updated. Is
he tolerating the brace really well then? Isn't it nice to get to the
overnight part?

DS1 and DS2 are getting along wonderfully. DS1 is the most
talented at getting big laughs from DS2. DS1 ("three and
ten-twelfths") loves doing the same thing over and over and
getting a reaction each time. DS2 loves watching the same
thing over and over and giving a reaction each time! When
I picked DS1 up from preschool yesterday and told him about
DS2's WBV, he was bitterly disappointed that he didn't get
to come. This surprised me, but in the end we agreed he
could come to the next one if he promises to be quiet during
the appointment.

Isn't it amazing how much they adore those older siblings?? I have to work
for the laughs, but the kids get Grant to roll with ease. That is so sweet
DS1 wanted to go to the WBV so much!

Last weekend we flew to my in-laws' place for a choroonu
(Malayalee first foods ceremony), where DS2 had his taste
buds "awakened" to all the different flavors. He was a bit
surprised at first, and then really got into it. Everyone
took turns feeding him a little taste and he started looking
expectantly --- who's going to bring me something next?
The only down side was that we all picked up a nasty cold
from the plane flight --- DS1 has just come down with it
now.

What a bummer about the cold, but the food ceremony sounds wonderful.

As for me, aside from having this cold, I'm feeling pretty
good. At 6 months postpartum, I have about 5 pounds left
to lose, which is great, considering that I gained about
50 with this pregnancy, and about 25 were left after giving
birth and losing the water weight in the first few weeks.
My hair is thinning out again (sigh), and my linea negra is
fading (though still visible). I fit into many of my pre-pg
clothes, though not all of them. When I've finished losing
those last 5 pounds, I plan to visit Nordy's and have a
session with the personal shopper. With so many pg-related
weight fluctuations in the past five years, it's been quite
a while since I've gotten any really nice work clothes!

awwww, you're awesome! It sounds like you're doing great. I have only been
gaining weight. wah... but that would be due to lack of exercise and
poor eating habits. Shopping at nordy's with a personal shopper sounds like
a wonderful way to get some great clothes.

It was good to see your post, Emily. I've been thinking of you, and I'm
happy to hear things are going well. Be sure to pop in now and then or
email. Take care!

--
Joy

Rose 1-99
Iris 2-01
Spencer 3-03
Grant 9-05 www.caringbridge.org/visit/grantphilip

Old March 21st 06, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding

Joybelle wrote:
DS2 is now 6 months old. He had his 6 month WBV yesterday.
Weighed in at 21lbs (95th %ile), measured 28" (90-95th
%ile)! And all of that on mama's milk :-) Milestone wise,
he's been sitting up very well for a least a month, and
scootches (if slowly). If you put him somewhere sitting
up, with a few minutes he'll be a few feet away, still
sitting up. He can also push up to all fours when on his
tummy. He's not rolling yet (either way), but the ped.
wasn't worried about that. She said that milestone is
really just for checking for muscle tone, which he clearly
has just fine.

Oh, my he sounds like he's doing marvelously. Grant is the same weight,
but a couple inches shorter. LOL Can you believe it's been a half a year
already??

Time flies! Grant must be a cute little butterball (DS2
is certainly no waif, even with the extra two inches).

The treatment for his clubfoot is going well. He was
out of his last cast back in November, and in February
had his brace time reduced to 12hrs/day (overnight).
It will probably be like that for 2-3 more years, with
quarterly check ups for a while. The foot is nicely
corrected and now we're just keeping an eye to make sure
there's no relapse.

I've been wondering how his clubfoot is doing. I'm so glad you updated. Is
he tolerating the brace really well then? Isn't it nice to get to the
overnight part?

I was a little concerned, since we went straight from 23 hours
to 12 hours in the brace, which seems to be at odds with the
standard Ponseti recommendations. But then, the doc we're seeing
is a co-author on one of the Ponseti pamphlets. But, he's
tolerating the brace just fine, even with the quick switch.
It's just part of the bedtime routine.

How is Grant doing?

DS1 and DS2 are getting along wonderfully. DS1 is the most
talented at getting big laughs from DS2. DS1 ("three and
ten-twelfths") loves doing the same thing over and over and
getting a reaction each time. DS2 loves watching the same
thing over and over and giving a reaction each time! When
I picked DS1 up from preschool yesterday and told him about
DS2's WBV, he was bitterly disappointed that he didn't get
to come. This surprised me, but in the end we agreed he
could come to the next one if he promises to be quiet during
the appointment.

Isn't it amazing how much they adore those older siblings?? I have to work
for the laughs, but the kids get Grant to roll with ease. That is so sweet
DS1 wanted to go to the WBV so much!

The other day DS1 was cracking up DS2 with something that didn't
really seem funny to us. I asked DH if he thought maybe their
sense of humor was genetically related (to each other, and not
us), but he thought it was probably an age thing...

It was good to see your post, Emily. I've been thinking of you, and I'm
happy to hear things are going well. Be sure to pop in now and then or
email. Take care!

Thanks for the long reply

Emily

7 month old update Jo Breastfeeding 4 January 4th 06 04:39 AM
7 1/2 month Update and various musings on parent classes and this group Larry McMahan Pregnancy 17 May 24th 05 05:31 PM
32 week update and fluid issues update Jennifer Howe Pregnancy 1 April 29th 05 06:55 AM
Webcast – Foster Our Futu National Foster Care Month 2004 wexwimpy Foster Parents 1 March 4th 04 07:55 PM
6 month update ArkieNurse Pregnancy 1 July 15th 03 01:37 AM