Inspiring or horrifying new mom news story?

Old March 23rd 07, 01:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Carlye

Default Inspiring or horrifying new mom news story?

This news story has been fairly well-publicized in my area for the
last week or so and has been on numerous national news programs. I
don't -think- it's been posted here, and I'm curious to know what you
all thought of it -- I am horrified at the number of "Good for her!"-
type responses I've read, but maybe I just don't "get" it. Anyway,
enjoy.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04
(Incidentally, DD was born at the same hospital this baby was born
at... we had to do major convincing to leave after 24 hours...)

-------------

Coach gives birth, then attends game

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) -- The Nebraska-Kearney basketball team didn't
mind that coach Carol Russell was a little late for the game.

Five hours after giving birth to her first child, Russell was back on
the bench and encouraging her players in the North Central Region
basketball tournament.

"I could have watched the Webcast, but I wanted to be there for the
girls because they've been working so hard for this all year," Russell
said.

Russell's presence didn't help the team. North Dakota beat the Lopers
108-75 for the regional championship Monday night and advanced to the
NCAA Division II tournament in Kearney, Neb.

Russell said her team seemed tired in the second half. Tired was
something she could relate to.

"I usually stand up the whole game but I didn't have the energy," said
the 35-year-old Russell, who's in her fifth year as coach.

Russell, who had permission from doctors to attend the game, arrived
early in the first half. Assistant coach Tim Connealy took over most
of the coaching duties while Russell provided mostly "input and
encouragement."

"I was about 3 minutes late," Russell said. "I'm always on my kids
about being late, but I guess they understood why I was."

Newborn Isaac bounced in at 6 pounds, 14 ounces earlier on Monday.

Isaac may have a permanent reminder about his time in North Dakota,
Russell said.

"My family is kidding me about naming him Dakota," Russell said.
"We're still searching for a middle name and that's an option."

Old March 23rd 07, 09:37 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"Larry Mcmahan" wrote in message
OK. You want my opinion? I'm going to go out on a limb, and say
something I don't think you would expect either the yea or nay sayers
to say...

It doesn't say in the article, but where is the baby? That is the big
question in my mind. He should have been with his mother soon after
coming into the world. Therefore I could only applaud here returning
to the game after the birth if she had him next to her body in a sling.
EOD!

Larry

That's what I wondered too, although, unless it'd been very warm there, I
wouldn't have wanted him outside for such a long time either - Nor would I
have wanted him in such a noisy environment so early on.... I think I'd have
missed the game - surely she's allowed one day off, whether she appreciates
the girls' hardwork or not!

Lucy x

Old March 23rd 07, 11:17 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

[...]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Didn't bother me that she felt up to
getting back to coaching "her" girls so soon after birth, but I kept
thinking -- so where is the kid!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! --
www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1, Password:
Guest
Password

Old March 24th 07, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

It doesn't say in the article, but where is the baby? That is the big
question in my mind. He should have been with his mother soon after
coming into the world. Therefore I could only applaud here returning
to the game after the birth if she had him next to her body in a sling.
EOD!

yet another "same here"! to be honest, had the birth occured at the right
time of day and the weather was appropriate and it wasn't my first kid, I
could see being there with the baby in the sling, with breasts available,
2nd time around, I really did feel fine after about 2hrs, it just took
longer than that to do paper work to actually get out of the hospital. But,
I very much doubt she had the baby with her and I suspect it wasn't warm
enough to have had the baby with her either. My kids were early summer
babies, I was out with baby in a sling within 36hrs, 2nd time, but it would
have been sooner, I just didn't have anywhere to go! Had I had her at lunch
time on a Sunday, having missed morning service, I'd quite possibly have
gone to evening service!

Anne

Old March 24th 07, 12:12 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:15:02 GMT, Larry Mcmahan
wrote:

In article . com,
says...
[...]

You read my mind. I assume her husband took care of baby but I don't
think that's the best scenario for baby.

Nan
Old March 24th 07, 12:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Elle

On Mar 23, 8:32 am, "carlye" wrote:
This news story has been fairly well-publicized in my area for the
last week or so and has been on numerous national news programs. I
don't -think- it's been posted here, and I'm curious to know what you
all thought of it -- I am horrified at the number of "Good for her!"-
type responses I've read, but maybe I just don't "get" it. Anyway,
enjoy.

Well I can't relate to it at all, no way I'd have been there.

I can't believe they lost LOL!

Elle

Old March 24th 07, 12:27 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Carlye

On Mar 23, 4:15 pm, Larry Mcmahan wrote:

It doesn't say in the article, but where is the baby? That is the big
question in my mind. He should have been with his mother soon after
coming into the world. Therefore I could only applaud here returning
to the game after the birth if she had him next to her body in a sling.
EOD!

Nah, the kid was still at the hospital. She coached and went back to
the hospital when she was done. There was no indication of who took
care of the baby during the game in any of the stories I read, but
since she was from Nebraska and had the baby in North Dakota at an
away-game, I'm guessing neither her hubby nor any other family was
around to watch the baby -- probably just nurses!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old March 24th 07, 01:05 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

lucy-lu wrote:
"Larry Mcmahan" wrote in message
OK. You want my opinion? I'm going to go out on a limb, and say
something I don't think you would expect either the yea or nay sayers
to say...

It doesn't say in the article, but where is the baby? That is the big
question in my mind. He should have been with his mother soon after
coming into the world. Therefore I could only applaud here returning
to the game after the birth if she had him next to her body in a sling.
EOD!

Larry

That's what I wondered too, although, unless it'd been very warm there, I
wouldn't have wanted him outside for such a long time either

I doubt he'd be outside at a basketball game.

- Nor would I
have wanted him in such a noisy environment so early on....

Although he's been in that noisy environment in utero
the whole time ;-) I know it's not quite the same, but he's
likely accustomed to the sounds of a basketball game or practice.
Babies of musicians tend not to flinch at the (very loud) sounds
of rehearsals or practice, even though a baby unaccustomed to
such sounds would likely find them very disturbing.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 24th 07, 01:25 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

"Elle" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 23, 8:32 am, "carlye" wrote:
This news story has been fairly well-publicized in my area for the
last week or so and has been on numerous national news programs. I
don't -think- it's been posted here, and I'm curious to know what you
all thought of it -- I am horrified at the number of "Good for her!"-
type responses I've read, but maybe I just don't "get" it. Anyway,
enjoy.

Well I can't relate to it at all, no way I'd have been there.

I can't believe they lost LOL!

I wouldn't be me there either. I'd have been able to go (well maybe not
after my first birth) but jeepers, I'm pretty infatuated with my new baby.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Amazing news story CY Pregnancy 1 March 30th 06 01:55 AM
Fox news story on DANGEROUS vaccines Kevysmom Kids Health 5 February 19th 05 11:05 PM
News: Toadlers eat 'horrifying' diet countertroll General 0 April 4th 04 07:22 PM
vbac disallowed at some hospitals/SF Chron news story Karen Pregnancy 2 November 13th 03 02:51 AM
inspiring NIP (or, semi-public) experience Melania Breastfeeding 3 October 9th 03 01:40 PM