New here - an introduction

Old October 14th 04, 04:46 PM
Rebecca Jo

Default New here - an introduction

Hi. I read a bunch of posts today and yesterday from this group. If there is
some FAQ I should read, please point me in the direction.

Also I see a lot of "DH" and "DD" and other acronyms that I don't
understand. TTC is trying to concieve?

I'm 7 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I'm 22 and baby's father is 25.

This wasn't a planned pregnancy but we're both happy about it. I've always
wanted a lot of children (my mother had 9) and wanted to start soon. We were
going to get married next July and then start trying for babies after that.
Now we're going to get married soon so I can get on his health insurance.

I went to my first prenatal visit with a nurse practitioner and she gave me
Natelle prenatal vitamins. I then went to the office of the doctor who will
actually deliver the baby and had an ultrasound done that confirmed 7 1/2
weeks.

We don't really love the nurse practitioner, so we're going to try to switch
to just seeing this other doctor, as she was extremely kind and explained
things really well.

My due date is May 27th. I've been really nauseous and tired. This last week
it seems the nausea is getting worse. I've only thrown up three times but I
feel like I'm *going* to throw up so much more often than that.

If anyone has any helpful tips or anything, I'd appreciate it. Also I'd like
to stick around. Seems like a nice group.

- Rebecca Jo

Old October 14th 04, 05:14 PM
Leslie

Welcome and congratulations, Rebecca!

Leslie

Emily (2/4/91)
Jake (1/27/94)
Teddy (2/15/95)
William (3/5/01 -- VBA3C, 13 lbs. 5 oz.)
and Lorelei, expected 11/2/04

"Children come trailing clouds of glory from God, which is their home."
~ William Wordsworth

Old October 14th 04, 05:26 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Rebecca Jo wrote:

Hi. I read a bunch of posts today and yesterday from this group. If there is
some FAQ I should read, please point me in the direction.

Also I see a lot of "DH" and "DD" and other acronyms that I don't
understand. TTC is trying to concieve?

Yep. DH = Dear (or pick your favorite other "D" word)
Husband, DD = Dear Daughter.

I'm 7 1/2 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I'm 22 and baby's father is 25.

Congratulations!

We don't really love the nurse practitioner, so we're going to try to switch
to just seeing this other doctor, as she was extremely kind and explained
things really well.

Give yourself a few minutes to think before settling on a
practitioner. Odds are, if you're with a group practice, whomever
you choose won't be the person on call when you deliver. Also,
your choice of birth location and care provider can make a *huge*
difference in your pregnancy or birth--what tests you have done,
how you act on the results, what interventions you have, how
likely you are to have a c-section or an episiotomy, etc. Before
choosing a care provider, figure out what you *want*, then find
a care provider who routinely provides that to his or her clients.
One book with a lot of information about choices in pregnancy and
childbirth is Henci Goer's _The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better
Birth_. She certainly has opinions about what is best, but she also
cites the book heavily and provides an annotated bibliography so
that you can look up the research and make your own decisions.
You're very early in your pregnancy, and you've got the insurance
thing to iron out anyway.

Spend some time reading up on your options,
including things that might not have crossed your mind before like
midwifery care or out of hospital birth, and figure out what scenarios
sound best to you. Then go hunting for someone who can provide
what you want--and get really specific. Bedside manner and the
ability to listen and explain is critical, but so is c-section
rate, episiotomy rate, opinions about the need for various tests
(like AFP/triple screen/quad screen, gestational diabetes screening,
etc.) and interventions/policies (IVs, eating and drinking in labor,
continuous electronic fetal monitoring, induction, episiotomy, etc.),
not to mention serious differences in how knowledgeable they are
in how to support the kind of birth you want (especially if you
want a low-intervention birth--many care providers haven't got a
clue how to support you in a way that's likely to help you be
successful at a low intervention birth).

There are lots of women who only find out late in the
game that their provider isn't *really* supportive of what
they want out of their birth. It's a wonderful blessing to
know what you want earlier in the game and really take
concrete steps to find someone who not only talks a good
game, but can back it up with specific evidence that he or
she practices as he or she preaches.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 14th 04, 07:42 PM
Todd Gastaldo

Ericka wrote:

"...how likely you are to have a c-section or an episiotomy...One book with
a lot of information about choices in pregnancy and childbirth is Henci
Goer's _The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth_..."

Rebecca,

I recently scanned Henci's book - it is good - but there is a key omission.

Henci does not mention that OBs are closing birth canals up to 30% as they
fraudulently infer surgically via episiotomy/c-section that they are
doing/have done everything possible to allow the birth canal to open the
"extra" up to 30%.

As you look for birth providers, you might want to keep this in mind and be
very specific about being allowed to get off your sacrum (not be on your
back/butt) for the actual delivery.

To allow your birth canal to open the "extra" up to 30%, just roll onto your
side as you push your baby out - or assume some other "alternative" delivery
position besides medicine's favorites, semisitting and dorsal, both of which
close the birth canal up to 30%.

Bewa Some OBs and CNMwives will let you "try" alternative delivery
positions then move you back to semisitting or dorsal (close your birth
canal) for the actual delivery.

KEY POINT: OBs KEEP the birth canal closed when it becomes neccessary to
pull with hands, forceps and vacuums - i.e. - women are generally always on
their backs when OBs are pulling (also when they are pushing - by chemically
whipping the uterus to contract violently with oxytocin or Cytotec).

This is bizarre obstetric behavior I know - but it is better to learn about
it early in pregnancy when choosing a birth provider.

Good luck.

Todd

Old October 14th 04, 08:34 PM
firedancer623

Hi and welcome!! Im not currently pregnant, (as you'll find of poster's
aren't - we just can't leave!) but I'm planning on additional children so I
don't feel too bad for sticking around

Congrats on the pregnancy!

Kari
mom to Kaylie, Noah and Xander

Old October 14th 04, 09:46 PM
Sophie

Hi and welcome

--
Sophie
mom of 4

Old October 14th 04, 10:13 PM
emilymr

Welcome and congratulations!

I didn't have any morning sickness so I can't help you there -- but my
prenatal vitamins *did* make me feel pukey. Once I switched to the
smaller, generic supermarket brand, things were much better.

Em
baby boy, due Nov. 18

Old October 15th 04, 12:27 AM
Wendy

Welcome and Congratulations! There is a lot of great medical advice to
be had here, hope you stick around!

Wendy
DS 7-11-03 and EDD 11-23

Old October 15th 04, 06:42 AM
Kelly

Hello Rebecca Jo-welcome to the group and congratulations on your pregnancy
and soon to be nuptials.

Some things that have worked for me when nauseated are foods that are bland
and white. Yes, plain ol' noodles, toast and butter, rice with butter,
crackers (triscuits, not saltines) potatoes, etc.

warmly,
Kelly

Introduction J Costello Single Parents 1 January 28th 04 09:18 PM
a bit of a belated introduction Vicky Bilaniuk Pregnancy 4 December 31st 03 01:32 AM
another interesting read, wrt gluten introduction Dawn Lawson Breastfeeding 1 November 30th 03 12:24 PM
Introduction - and a question Cathy Pregnancy 11 November 30th 03 05:32 AM
Introduction Shelly Pregnancy 10 July 11th 03 06:47 AM