I need LOTS of BFing advice!!

Old October 16th 04, 12:53 AM
Beach mum

"Wendy" wrote
I completely agree that the modesty issue is not a good reason to quit
breastfeeding. That isn't why I quit although my MIL's comments on how
she could have NEVER breastfed (while I was actually in the act of
bfing) because it would have been just TOO embarrassing!! didn't help
much.

SIL didn't have a great experience with her first so expected me to leave
the room to nurse. By the time we were visiting, E and I were pros and
nothing was showing so I told her to get over her modesty. Her FIL left the
room the one time he noticed, but otherwise never even noticed I was
nursing...he just thought E and I were cuddling.

The only place I left the room was at MIL's because they are very observant
Jews and I felt that it was respectful to her husband not to show any skin
at all (heck, I don't even wear sleeveless tops or shorts when I visit them
to be modest). Otherwise, I bf'd everywhere with abandon and, most of the
time, only other nursing mothers noticed.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old October 16th 04, 01:17 AM
Cathy

Wendy wrote:
I am planning on breastfeeding DD when she is born in Nov. and I need
some help figuring out how to do it! I bf DS for about two months and
I really wish I could have kept it up a little longer.

This sounds a little odd, but I did a parenting course, starting when DD was
3 weeks old. I was having heaps of problems nursing DD (mastitis, poor
latch, cracked nipples, etc. etc), and hated having to latch her on in
public. This course lasted 2 hours, and it was totally natural for everyone
to breastfeed if their baby was hungry. Until then, I'd felt like I was the
only person doing it. It gave me heaps of confidence, and after that, I
stopped worrying about how other people felt.

Also, I just wore loose t-shirts mostly, and pulled them up. I could always
undo the bra one handed, but I don't think I could ever do it up one
handed - I remember a few times when I forgot to do it up, as DD started
fussing!

Having said that though, I mostly nursed DD at home, as feeds lasted up to
an hour, (spaced 3-4 hours apart) and I preferred to spend that time on a
comfy chair reading a good book, or watching a video.

Cathy
DD 8 Jan 03
EDD 8 Dec 04

Old October 16th 04, 04:13 AM
Wendy

Sigh. Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply thoughtfully.
And "Taryn" whoever you are I will try to state this again so you can
understand. Many, many topics are covered here, some that are about
pregnancy, some are not. I think it is in very bad form to tell someone
to go and post thier question somewhere else when many people here are
knowledgeable regarding the question and willing to answer it. When
someone has a DH rant do we say "why don't you go post at a marriage
support group!". No, of course not.

Wendy

Old October 16th 04, 04:19 AM
newfy.1

"Cathy" wrote in message
This course lasted 2 hours, and it was totally natural for everyone
to breastfeed if their baby was hungry. Until then, I'd felt like I was

the
only person doing it. It gave me heaps of confidence, and after that, I
stopped worrying about how other people felt.

This is why it's nice to attend some LLL meetings. Everyone is nursing
there. Only problem is, they are once/month although I guess you could go
around to different towns to different meetings.

JennP.

Old October 16th 04, 05:11 AM
Christine

When someone has a DH rant do we say "why
don't you go post at a marriage support
group!". No, of course not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Humm, who is she anyhow??
lets guess...LOL.....
anyhow, Wendy, VERY good point!

Old October 16th 04, 11:17 AM
Taryn

"Wendy" wrote in message
Sigh. Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply thoughtfully.
And "Taryn" whoever you are I will try to state this again so you can
understand. Many, many topics are covered here, some that are about
pregnancy, some are not.

Sorry Wendy, I didn't mean to be unkind.

Taryn
(Never delurk whilst drunk...)

Old October 16th 04, 05:31 PM
Wendy

Thank you, Taryn. I really appreciate it. These last few weeks of
hormones are really catching up with me.

Wendy

Old October 16th 04, 06:09 PM
Christine

I feel for you Wendy, when I was pregnant I felt like I was on one big
PMS mission....
that is one part about pregnancy I do not miss...!
But I did have my good days and bad days.....;-))

Old October 16th 04, 08:24 PM
Wendy

LOL, Christine.....I know! It's so crazy what those hormones to do you.
It just seems to get worse the farther along I get.

Wendy

Old October 17th 04, 06:02 AM
Jamie Clark

Wendy....people where just pointing to you a group which was GUARANTEED to
give you good answers to your questions. Relax, and breathe.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

"Wendy" wrote in message
I am well aware that this is a pregnancy newsgroup and I am also aware
of misc.kids.breastfeeding. I posted the question here because
breastfeeding has been talked about here on many, many occasions. Are we
now limiting people to post on topics that only relate directly to
pregnancy? Wow, good luck.

Wendy

Advice on Paracetamol is Unscientific and Unsafe john Kids Health 3 September 23rd 04 06:52 PM
Advice Please (x-posted) toto General 26 March 20th 04 04:47 PM
Advice Please (x-posted) toto General 2 March 8th 04 05:49 PM
Advice Please (x-posted) toto General (moderated) 2 March 8th 04 05:49 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 February 16th 04 09:58 AM