Constantly Trying to Stand!!

Old October 25th 04, 11:13 PM
Carol Ann

Default Constantly Trying to Stand!!

Morgan turned 7 months yesterday. Today she had her first "I'm trying to
stand up, look at me...oops I fell" accident.

She tries to stand in bed, in her crib, in her playpen and keeps falling
down.

Her arm slipped through the slat of the crib and her face hit the side. How
do you prevent injuries like this? If she had not stopped herself from
falling over onto her back, she could have broken her arm.

What am I missing here???

~Carol Ann

Old October 26th 04, 12:07 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Carol Ann wrote:

Morgan turned 7 months yesterday. Today she had her first "I'm trying to
stand up, look at me...oops I fell" accident.

She tries to stand in bed, in her crib, in her playpen and keeps falling
down.

Her arm slipped through the slat of the crib and her face hit the side. How
do you prevent injuries like this? If she had not stopped herself from
falling over onto her back, she could have broken her arm.

What am I missing here???

Nothing. It just happens, and there's not much you can
do about it other than stifling her completely (at which she
will be outraged). Fortunately, they're small and don't have
far to fall and rarely injure themselves seriously.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 26th 04, 01:42 AM
CY

Which *did* happen to us, when I was standing *right there*(and her
grandmother too!). She was in a cast for 8 weeks when she was 10 months old.
It's no fun, but you can't prevent everything. You do the best you can,
and try not to leave them unattended ever (which my DD never was and it
STILL happened!).

Old October 26th 04, 02:01 AM
Unadulterated Me

Carol Ann wrote:

What am I missing here???

No, this be what sprogglets do, they develop :-)
Lydia was born standing, she was always trying to get to her feet even
as a newborn her legs would go rigid if she felt pressure on them and
she's try and trust herself upwards. It was no surprise she was walking
at 9 months really. And she's a complete outdoors nut, she begs all day
long to go outside..mum door..mum out..mum rabbit..mum owside..mum
door...at least my garden is getting lots of attention while I'm out there.

Andrea
Mother to the 15 month old adventure bunny

Old October 26th 04, 02:22 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Lydia was born standing, she was always trying to get to her feet even
as a newborn her legs would go rigid if she felt pressure on them and
she's try and trust herself upwards. It was no surprise she was walking
at 9 months really. And she's a complete outdoors nut, she begs all day
long to go outside..mum door..mum out..mum rabbit..mum owside..mum
door...at least my garden is getting lots of attention while I'm out there.

;-) Genevieve wasn't quite as precocious, but she
also loves being outside (too bad her mommy doesn't...).
She wants to play soccer with the boys. She's actually
managed to steal the ball on occasion and dribbles rather
well considering the ball comes up to her knees! It's too
funny. Must get a picture of that one day.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 26th 04, 02:49 AM
newfy.1

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
ink.net...

Her arm slipped through the slat of the crib and her face hit the side.

How
do you prevent injuries like this? If she had not stopped herself from
falling over onto her back, she could have broken her arm.

What am I missing here???

You don't, really other than time and experience on the baby's behalf.
Unfortunately, you can't prevent everything. My ds broke his arm at 14
months old while playing with a box of wipes. I was 3 feet away. Go figure.

Oh, and don't be surprised if there's a few sleepless nights that go along
with this new development. Go Morgan!

JennP.

Old October 26th 04, 03:44 AM
Marie

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:13:31 GMT, "Carol Ann"
wrote:
She tries to stand in bed, in her crib, in her playpen and keeps falling
down.
Her arm slipped through the slat of the crib and her face hit the side. How
do you prevent injuries like this? If she had not stopped herself from
falling over onto her back, she could have broken her arm.
What am I missing here???

Can you put her on the floor, like in front of a sofa or soemthing so
she can practice?
My first two children never ever had problems standing in their cribs.
My third one...I was so worried the way she'd fling herself around and
jump around. She bonked her head twice I think but nothing major. One
night she did get her leg stuck between the slats and somehow twisted
around so that her leg was twisted in a painful way. That worried me
for nights! She screamed and screamed, and it left marks on her leg
for a couple of days.
Marie
Old October 26th 04, 04:37 AM
Unadulterated Me

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

;-) Genevieve wasn't quite as precocious, but she
also loves being outside (too bad her mommy doesn't...).

lol well I don't mind as long as it's fine, but this kid wants to be out
hail, rain, sleet and snow, she's obsessed with being outside, even when
she's obviously shivering from cold she still begs to go out.

She wants to play soccer with the boys. She's actually
managed to steal the ball on occasion and dribbles rather
well considering the ball comes up to her knees! It's too
funny. Must get a picture of that one day.

Aww how cute, Lydia's a flora and fauna girl, wants to pick all the
flowers, pull leaves from trees, examine rocks and stuff, and the odd
rabbit or chicken walking is quite a fun distraction too.

Andrea

Old October 26th 04, 05:01 AM
Wendy

Nolan is the same way absolutely driven to be outside no matter what. He
started walking at nine months and hasn't quit since. : ) If he even
'thinks' you are going outside there is no way he is going to let you go
without him without a tantrum. Interestingly enough, that is the only
time he ever throws a tantrum. Good thing DH is the outdoorsy type.....I
guess that's where Nolan gets it from.

Wendy
Mama to the 15 month old Outdoorsman

Old October 26th 04, 05:07 AM
Plissken

"Unadulterated Me" wrote in message
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Aww how cute, Lydia's a flora and fauna girl, wants to pick all the

flowers, pull leaves from trees, examine rocks and stuff, and the odd
rabbit or chicken walking is quite a fun distraction too.

Madeline is like this. She spent forever examining a leaf and Arbutus bark
the other day. Today when we came home there were 2 deer in our yard. Maddy
thought they were "puppies". Hee, hee.

Nadene