C-Section back pain

Old October 26th 04, 04:07 PM
Rene

Default C-Section back pain

Hello
Last week I had my Second child in a scheduled c-section. the anastisia was
local with a spinal shot.. I was released home after 4 days and now my back
hurts, is this normal after having a spinal shot? I was given some pain
medication but I do not want to get hooked on those.
Should I be worries about my back.
ThankX

Old October 26th 04, 04:26 PM
Circe

Rene wrote:
Last week I had my Second child in a scheduled c-section. the
anastisia was local with a spinal shot.. I was released home after
4 days and now my back hurts, is this normal after having a spinal
shot? I was given some pain medication but I do not want to get
hooked on those.
Should I be worries about my back.

It's normal, in my experience. I never had a c-section, but I had an
epidural with my first birth and the insertion site was sore for about a
week after the birth, maybe a bit longer.

You can always take ibubrofen to take away some of the discomfort; it's not
addicting.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush-Cheney Campaign Slogan:
"Why change horsemen in mid-apocalypse?"

Old October 26th 04, 04:46 PM
Nan

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:07:33 GMT, "Rene"
scribbled:

Hello
Last week I had my Second child in a scheduled c-section. the anastisia was
local with a spinal shot.. I was released home after 4 days and now my back
hurts, is this normal after having a spinal shot? I was given some pain
medication but I do not want to get hooked on those.
Should I be worries about my back.

I had back pain after both of my sections, so I think it's normal. If
you're worried about the pain meds, you can try ibuprofen (advil), but
I think the risk of getting "hooked" on the pain meds they gave you is
pretty low.

Nan, thinks her pain meds were a Good Thing ;-)
Old October 26th 04, 04:48 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Rene wrote:

Hello
Last week I had my Second child in a scheduled c-section. the anastisia was
local with a spinal shot.. I was released home after 4 days and now my back
hurts, is this normal after having a spinal shot?

Yes, back pain is a known complication after spinal anesthesia.
Usually it goes away after a few weeks, but on rare occasions it can
last long term.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 26th 04, 05:01 PM
Circe

Nan wrote:
If you're worried about the pain meds, you can try ibuprofen
(advil), but I think the risk of getting "hooked" on the pain
meds they gave you is pretty low.

Depends on what they gave her. Vicodin (hydrocone) is pretty commonly
prescribed for postpartum pain, and it *is* addictive. You're probably
unlikely to get addicted if you take one a day for a week, though.

Old October 26th 04, 05:02 PM
Nan

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:01:38 -0700, "Circe"
scribbled:

Nan wrote:
If you're worried about the pain meds, you can try ibuprofen
(advil), but I think the risk of getting "hooked" on the pain
meds they gave you is pretty low.

Depends on what they gave her. Vicodin (hydrocone) is pretty commonly
prescribed for postpartum pain, and it *is* addictive. You're probably
unlikely to get addicted if you take one a day for a week, though.

I think a lot may depend on whether a person may have a tendency
towards addiction, also. I must not, because after all the morphine
(highly addictive) and vicodin I got after surgery, I didn't have
problems. But I also alternated the vicodin with ibuprofen during the
early days, and eventually got to only taking the ibuprofen.
I still have some vicodin left in the cupboard. It's good for my
really bad sinus headaches ;-)

Nan
Old October 26th 04, 05:39 PM
Circe

Nan wrote:
If you're worried about the pain meds, you can try ibuprofen
(advil), but I think the risk of getting "hooked" on the pain
meds they gave you is pretty low.

Depends on what they gave her. Vicodin (hydrocone) is pretty
commonly prescribed for postpartum pain, and it *is* addictive.
You're probably unlikely to get addicted if you take one a day for
a week, though.

I think a lot may depend on whether a person may have a tendency
towards addiction, also. I must not, because after all the morphine
(highly addictive) and vicodin I got after surgery, I didn't have
problems.

ITA. When I was hospitalized back in July of 2003, they had me on very high
doses of morphine (basically to keep me unconscious) for a couple of days.
No withdrawal symptoms or anything. Of course, I don't know how long it
takes to actually become addicted to morphine. Maybe a couple of days isn't
enough.

But I also alternated the vicodin with ibuprofen during
the early days, and eventually got to only taking the ibuprofen.
I still have some vicodin left in the cupboard. It's good for my
really bad sinus headaches ;-)

I have one vicodin left, which I use for migraines. (I'd refill the
prescription now, but I'll be seeing a new doctor next month for a full
physical and figure I might as well wait until then. I don't have migraines
that frequently.) I've never felt like I was coming close to vicodin
addiction, either. But again, I take one or two one day and then don't take
any for months.

Old October 26th 04, 05:47 PM
Nan

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:52:13 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
scribbled:

Circe wrote:

Nan wrote:

I think a lot may depend on whether a person may have a tendency
towards addiction, also. I must not, because after all the morphine
(highly addictive) and vicodin I got after surgery, I didn't have
problems.

ITA. When I was hospitalized back in July of 2003, they had me on very high
doses of morphine (basically to keep me unconscious) for a couple of days.
No withdrawal symptoms or anything. Of course, I don't know how long it
takes to actually become addicted to morphine. Maybe a couple of days isn't
enough.

More than that, I think it depends on whether you're
really in pain. People who have serious chronic pain can use
staggering amounts of narcotics without getting addicted.
You get in trouble when the pain isn't there anymore (or has
lessened) and you continue taking the narcotics. This fear
of addiction has made it difficult for those who really do
experience chronic pain to be adequately treated.

True. If there is no pain, there's no reason to take the drugs, but
it does happen. I've never really had chronic pain. Mine has been
acute and short-lived. I do remember asking the nurse if I could
become addicted after my surgery, though. I didn't go very far from
the button on my pump during my 9 day hospital stay!

Nan

Old October 26th 04, 06:15 PM
Nikki

Nan wrote:
If you're worried about the pain meds, you can try ibuprofen
(advil), but I think the risk of getting "hooked" on the pain
meds they gave you is pretty low.

Depends on what they gave her. Vicodin (hydrocone) is pretty commonly
prescribed for postpartum pain, and it *is* addictive. You're
probably unlikely to get addicted if you take one a day for a week,
though.

I think a lot may depend on whether a person may have a tendency
towards addiction, also. I must not, because after all the morphine
(highly addictive) and vicodin I got after surgery, I didn't have
problems. But I also alternated the vicodin with ibuprofen during the
early days, and eventually got to only taking the ibuprofen.
I still have some vicodin left in the cupboard. It's good for my
really bad sinus headaches ;-)

Nan

I was prescribed vicodin last summer (and still keep it for bad headaches)
and I had a terrible time falling asleep when I no longer needed it. I
didn't take much of it either but I tended to take it in the evening.

--
Nikki