60 Minutes - Aussies

Old October 31st 06, 03:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

Default 60 Minutes - Aussies

"Sue" wrote in message
news:cfqdna3DOYXUctjYnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Linda" wrote in message
Well I can't say for sure - DD is my first, so I obviously have more time
for her but to be honest I don't think it really takes that much time
although I have nothing to compare with.

But why? What's the point to it? As a mom of three, there is no way I had
the time with all three like I did with just one. Anyway, I like the
method
of waiting until they are fully ready to potty train. Doesn't take any
time
at all and there are very little to no accidents (my experience).
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Well the times when she's in disposables (when we're out or away) are the
only times she's ever had nappy rash. It's a lot cheaper and better for the
environment, eg last week we used the same disposable nappy every time we
went out as it was still dry every time I took it off her - of course this
isn't always the case!!
I like the fact that she's always clean, and I hope she'll be able to take
herself sooner. And I've heard horror stories of 4 year olds that don't
want to go so I'm hoping there will never be a learning process - just a
gradual her growing into it.... and while I was PG I read about it and liked
the concept and now it's just second nature, can't imagine any other way.

Old October 31st 06, 10:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article , "Linda" wrote:

I have the distinct feeling (after reading the article in the ABA
magazine)
that EC only works if you have ONE child and don't do much else with your
time. Is that true?

Well I can't say for sure - DD is my first, so I obviously have more time
for her but to be honest I don't think it really takes that much time
although I have nothing to compare with.

Are you working? Doing voluntary work? Doing *anything* which cannot be
moved around the baby's schedule?

The only times it is a hassle is say if we're in the middle of something and
she needs to go - I have to take her right then, where it would be nice to
be able to wait a few minutes if I wanted - but thats ok.

That's what I mean -- when you are taking one child to school you can't be
looking to see if the other one is about to wee. When you are helping in your
older child's class, you can't be watching for that look of concentration.
You don't have the time, nor the opportunity to focus on one child so
constantly, when you have more than one, or indeed any other significant
commitment.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old November 1st 06, 12:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"Linda" wrote in message
Well the times when she's in disposables (when we're out or away) are the
only times she's ever had nappy rash.

Okay, never really had that problem. Sure we had diaper rashes, but it
wasn't a huge deal. It's uncomfortable, but I would not do EC just to avoid
a diaper rash here and there.

It's a lot cheaper and better for the environment, eg last week we used the
same disposable nappy every time we went out as it was still dry every time
I took it off her - of course this isn't always the case!!
I like the fact that she's always clean, and I hope she'll be able to

take
herself sooner. And I've heard horror stories of 4 year olds that don't
want to go so I'm hoping there will never be a learning process - just a
gradual her growing into it.... and while I was PG I read about it and

liked
the concept and now it's just second nature, can't imagine any other way.

Well, to each their own. There are other things I would rather be doing with
my baby than watching for signs to go to the bathroom. Too time consuming
and really not something I am interested in. I potty train different than
most people, in that I wait until they are definitely ready, know what they
are doing, and can get themselves to the bathroom in time. I have trained
three girls and had no accidents or problems (once I figured out what I was
doing, of course).
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 3rd 06, 12:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Linda

"Sue" wrote in message
news:IPGdnXEiPfS5EtXYnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Linda" wrote in message
[...]

Well ultimately so long as they grow up happy and healthy (and at some point
can take themselves to the bathroom
You may be right, this may be more time consuming, I might not be able to do
it with number 2, but we'll see, ask me again in a few years I guess.

Old November 3rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Chookie wrote:
In article , "Linda" wrote:

I have the distinct feeling (after reading the article in the ABA
magazine)
that EC only works if you have ONE child and don't do much else with your
time. Is that true?

I did it with baby #3. I am homeschooling and I did not do it as
perfectly as if I only had one. There were times that a child was just
getting an important concept and I chose to let my baby go in her
diaper rather than interrupt. When she got a bit bigger, whichever
child I wasn't working with at the time could help her go in the little
potty. As she got more mobile and was crawling around, she would often
be playing on the floor with the kids and they would notice she needed
to go and put her on the potty.

Are you working? Doing voluntary work? Doing *anything* which cannot be
moved around the baby's schedule?

I do volunteer work and take my children to various activities. We
have about 15 scheduled per week, then there is shopping and other
things that come up.

The only times it is a hassle is say if we're in the middle of something and
she needs to go - I have to take her right then, where it would be nice to
be able to wait a few minutes if I wanted - but thats ok.

That's what I mean -- when you are taking one child to school you can't be
looking to see if the other one is about to wee. When you are helping in your
older child's class, you can't be watching for that look of concentration.
You don't have the time, nor the opportunity to focus on one child so
constantly, when you have more than one, or indeed any other significant
commitment.

I volunteer in a classroom and bring my baby (now toddler). I took 6
weeks off when she was born. When I went back, I had her in a sling.
Usually she was OK for the first hour, then would do her big poop
between classes when I changed from a downstairs classroom to an
upstairs classroom. If I had to take her during class, the classroom
teacher or one of the classroom assistants would cover for me. It is
much quicker to take a baby potty than to change a poopy diaper. I
wouldn't have left her in a poopy diaper for an hour anyway. Now, my
older daughter is usually with me when I volunteer. She takes her
little sister, so I don't have to leave the class at all. She would
not be up to changing a poopy diaper, so the EC has made it much easier
for her to be involved.

EC has its challenges, but I was reminded of one of its benefits when I
went to a La Leche League conference a few weeks ago. Every time I
went to the bathroom with my little one, there were children on the
changing tables having poopy diaper changes. Most of them were bigger
than my child. It has been so long since I have had to change poopy
diapers that I was a bit shocked by how much work the moms had to do
dealing with the mess, and the thought that they have to do it daily.
My child made it through the weekend just fine with no diapers, no
misses and no time consuming diaper changes.

--Betsy

Old November 5th 06, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Notchalk

On 2006-11-03 22:56:15 +0800, "betsy" said:

My child made it through the weekend just fine with no diapers, no
misses and no time consuming diaper changes.

--Betsy

That's pretty awesome, Betsy - well done. You make it sound easy!

Jo
--
Woman, Wife, Mother, Midwife

Old November 5th 06, 12:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

On 2006-11-03 22:56:15 +0800, "betsy" said:

My child made it through the weekend just fine with no diapers, no
misses and no time consuming diaper changes.

--Betsy

That's pretty awesome, Betsy - well done. You make it sound easy!

Thanks, it isn't all easy though. Yesterday my son was in a
mischevious mood and intentionally cued his little sister to pee on the
living room carpet which she did. I hope he realizes that it was a BAD
idea and never does it again. We have also had difficulties every time
she met a major milestone in motor skills.

One thing that makes EC easier than one might think is that there is
give and take. With a little planning, when out and about, a little
one who pees on cue can go when it is convenient for you, then will
usually be able to wait out the inconvenient times.

--Betsy

Old November 5th 06, 01:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sue

"betsy" wrote in message
One thing that makes EC easier than one might think is that there is
give and take. With a little planning, when out and about, a little
one who pees on cue can go when it is convenient for you, then will
usually be able to wait out the inconvenient times.

Sounds like you are talking about a dog. Our dog would pee and poop on
command, lol.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old November 5th 06, 08:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"Sue" wrote in message
"betsy" wrote in message
One thing that makes EC easier than one might think is that there is
give and take. With a little planning, when out and about, a little
one who pees on cue can go when it is convenient for you, then will
usually be able to wait out the inconvenient times.

Sounds like you are talking about a dog. Our dog would pee and poop on
command, lol.

Sue - I know you mean that as a joke, but I'd personally find that comment
pretty insulting.

Actually while we don't do EC, I "get" what betsy is saying.
Heck *I* wee and poo on command when needed ... a long car trip coming up
.... well better hit the dunny first then. I also make sure that DD (4yo
fully TT for18 mo) at least *tries* and sit DS (2yo currently TT) on the
toilet because it saves a stop half an hour down the road.
Amanda