"Only Dummies use Dummies"

Old February 4th 07, 07:38 PM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default "Only Dummies use Dummies"

"Rob" wrote in message
snip

You did confuse me. I read it and I thought you said basically you were
visiting a friend who has a child a bit older than yours and YOUR child
grabbed it out of the other's mouth and YOUR child said the 'dummies use
dummies' line. I thought your child was the one who said that and

then said
the line about how those are for bed time. I was wondering what you had
been smoking or sniffing to have such a conversation with a 15 month
old...
My conversations with my 18 month old basically revolve around Pooh Bear
and
any actual 'conversations' with her are replied by a loud, "YEAH?!" or
shaking her head yes or no. Her vocabulary sits at maybe 20ish words
(Pooh,
bear, cat, dog, bird, yes, more, mom, dad, baby, etc.) with MAYBE a
couple
words strung together on occasion.

snip

LOL !!

Max does not say much that I can understand, but I swear he did say
"Hello" once when he was 3 weeks old, It scared the hell out of me.

I was low on sleep, but it is my story and I stand by it.

Don't worry. We have a genius as well.
DD1 was no more than 3 weeks old as well at the time and while crying a bit
(you know, the fairly newborn cries) she cried out, "Hungie!" in between.
I swear she was telling me she was hungry, so I fed her and she stopped
LOL
To this day, DS (he was 4.5 y at the time) says that his baby sister said
she was, "Hungry" when she was just born.
Now, at 18 months, DD1 has yet to say "hungry" but I can still believe what
I heard heh

Old February 5th 07, 10:36 AM posted to misc.kids
Rob

Rosalie B. wrote:
Rob wrote:

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Rob wrote:
I have a friend who has a 19 month old boy. My son is 15 months old.

I was visiting him at his house and his son came out with his dummy in
his mouth. He got exited took the dummy (Pacifier) out of his mouth
and said "Only Dummies use Dummies". The boy cried a bit and tried to
get his dummy back.

Afterwards I asked why he removed the dummy. He said that dummies are
for sleep time. I decided not to press it.

I don't really care if my son picks up a dummy (Pacifier) during the
day. He usually does not keep it for long. I can't see the problem.

Is there a problem with using Pacifiers
I'm not sure I've got all the pronoun agreements
straight, but I'm guessing that your adult friend removed
his own son's pacifier?

Yes that is correct.

I would *certainly* have an issue with his comment
about only dummies using dummies. That's pretty harsh.
Aside from that, yes, there are some concerns with
longer-term pacifier use. It can increase ear infections.
It can affect the alignment of teeth.

My last 3 children had pacifiers. They had no problems with ear
infections. The only one with significant tooth alignment problems
was the one who didn't use it and that was because her teeth were too
big for her jaw. DD#3 had a cross bite, but I don't think that can be
attributed to a pacifier.

DD#1 sucked her thumb and I think that can affect the alignment of the
teeth too. And it is harder to break that habit.

Children will eventually lose their baby teeth will this still effect
the development of their adult teeth ?

None of my kids had any problem whatsoever with speech development
even though dd#2 had a pacifier well past age 2, and initially all she
did was grunt and point (and her sister would translate). Now you
can't shut her up - she talks all the time.

It can affect
speech development. All of these are more significant
if the child spends more time using the pacifier. It's
not uncommon for parents to start limiting pacifier use
as the child gets older as a way of weaning them off of
pacifier use. I don't have a problem with that. I do
have a problem with derogatory phrases like that.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Thank you for your response.

At what age do, you think, you should start weaning children off pacifiers?

I wouldn't set any time on this. Sometimes if you do it too early,
they start sucking their thumb or fingers or hair or blankets or
whatever.

My dd#1 spit the pacifier out when she was a couple weeks old and
wouldn't use it and then sucked her thumb. I don't remember exactly
when dd#2 gave hers up except it was after she was 2. DD#3's pacifier
was snatched by a racoon in the Audubon zoo/rehab facility when she
was about 2.5. I also don't remember about DS, and actually if I had
not found some photos of him when he was about a year that had the
pacifier in them, I didn't remember that he used one at all. He
wasn't weaned until he was over 3 years old though, so maybe he didn't
really use it that much.

I read somewhere that babies that are given pacifiers are less likely to
smoke????????

Flexibility seems to be the best.
Old February 6th 07, 10:15 AM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article ,
Rob wrote:

Why does your child need a plastic nipple? Are yours broken?

What are you suggesting that I sleep in his cot and pretend to breast
feed him?

He has Teeth I am sure this will be painful.

Not necessarily -- DH woke up the other night when DS2 latched on to him. It
wasn't painful, just weird -- and DS2, at 20mo, has quite a few teeth!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

AD/HD For Dummies Raving Kids Health 0 September 20th 06 08:01 AM
SIDS and Dummies Mum of Two Pregnancy 33 December 12th 05 09:13 PM
SIDS and Dummies [email protected] Pregnancy 5 December 9th 05 07:07 PM
SIDS and Dummies Leanne Pregnancy 0 December 9th 05 07:57 AM
Dummies Linz Breastfeeding 12 February 29th 04 03:40 PM