"For External Use Only"

Old July 29th 06, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids
xkatx

Default "For External Use Only"

If it says for external use only, but nothing about actually eating it, is
it alright to have a little (or huge) taste of it??

Lovely DD (will be 1 next Friday), while alone in the kitchen with the baby
gates up and me in the hallway directly beside the kitchen moving the
chinchilla cage around, decided it would be the perfect chance to raid her
diaper bag and see what's inside. She always seems to go for either the
diapers - and just unfolds them all to make a big mess since the disposables
in the diaper bag NEVER fold flat and nice again after they've been opened -
or the pack of wipes - and I find there's wipes all over the place, each one
carefully taken out and tossed on the floor - or she goes for the
Sudocream...
This time, she went for the diaper rash cream. In the whole 3-4 minutes it
took me to turn and move that cage around (yes, it's big, 3'x4'x6') she
decided to get at the cream and eat it... Or smear it all over her face, her
clothes, hands and floor... Also all the toys she had around her.

It doesn't say anything about eating it, it just says for external use. I
would assume it doesn't taste good, but is it safe to assume it's harmless
to eat? I also wouldn't assume there'd be a major product (like diaper rash
creams) that would be toxic or dangerous, as it's sometihng lots of people
use on their babies every day.

She was happy to play with it and eat it, and even happier to pose for the
camera - even sat there nicely as I searched and searched for a camera with
film! This was only a few minutes ago amd she's just as she always was -
happy and content, not looking sick or anything.

Is this a pointless worry that lots of kids do and alright? I'm not going
to feed her diaper rash cream, but when she got into it, she should be just
fine, right? There's no phone number on the container or warning about
poison or eating it.

Old July 29th 06, 03:31 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

"xkatx" wrote in message
It doesn't say anything about eating it, it just says for external use. I
would assume it doesn't taste good, but is it safe to assume it's harmless
to eat? I also wouldn't assume there'd be a major product (like diaper
rash creams) that would be toxic or dangerous, as it's sometihng lots of
people use on their babies every day.

I think it's harmless, but you really ought to call poison control. That's
a number you should have handy for occasions just like this, when you're not
sure if you should be worried.

#1 ate large amounts of sudocreme on two occasions. Pharmasist told me that
it might give her the runs or slight tummy ache, but not to worry. The
second time she was sick afterward.
Debbie

Old July 30th 06, 12:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Chookie

In article Q_xyg.66327$B91.31668@edtnps82, "xkatx" wrote:

If it says for external use only, but nothing about actually eating it, is
This time, she went for the diaper rash cream. In the whole 3-4 minutes it
took me to turn and move that cage around (yes, it's big, 3'x4'x6') she
decided to get at the cream and eat it... Or smear it all over her face, her
clothes, hands and floor... Also all the toys she had around her.

It doesn't say anything about eating it, it just says for external use.

And this is why I have the Poisons Information Hotline programmed into the
phone! I've programmed 000 as well (that's the Australian emergency number),
just in case I need a few extra seconds.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue