Attack of the Spammer...

Old May 18th 04, 09:38 PM
Kristi Carney

Default Attack of the Spammer...

I don't understand why spammers always pick newsgroups to infiltrate... talk
about being way too bored and having way too much time on their hands.....
geeesh! Spammers be gone... although the dating service is good in
theory... LOL since this is a single parent group...

Old May 19th 04, 12:10 AM
Paul Griffiths

"Kristi Carney" wrote in message

I don't understand why spammers always pick newsgroups to infiltrate...

talk
about being way too bored and having way too much time on their hands.....
geeesh!

I think it's mostly automatic. Just set up the computer and leave it to it.

Spammers be gone...

Works for me.

although the dating service is good in theory...

Backsliding? :-)

LOL since this is a single parent group...

Ah but maybe there's some underlying *reason* why we're single...

--
Paul Griffiths

Old May 19th 04, 12:12 AM
ACC17901.COM

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Looking to find a match/hookup/sex partner?

http://acc17901.com:1000/match/index.html

Old May 19th 04, 01:46 AM
Kristi Carney

Paul...

Heh heh... could be an underlying reason... I was just having a good chuckle
that the particular spam has been for a "dating" thingee/service... kind of
apropo on a single parent board, I guess... just wondered why spam is
prevalent on boards and newsgroups...?

Old May 19th 04, 07:07 AM
Paul Griffiths

"Kristi Carney" wrote in message
Paul...

Heh heh... could be an underlying reason... I was just having a good

chuckle
that the particular spam has been for a "dating" thingee/service... kind

of
apropo on a single parent board, I guess...

I know what you mean about kind of appropriate but it's still Spam, of
course, just not off-topic spam for once.

just wondered why spam is prevalent on boards and newsgroups...?

This is an interesting one. I'd be surprised if very many sophisticated,
veteran Net users actually bought anything from a company that spammed, just
on principle. That said the obviously commercial spammers wouldn't be
bothering to do it if it didn't provide at least *some* income so I suppose
they're either banking on replies from users who are naive or don't care.
The problem, I suppose, is that the cost of sending bulk emails is pretty
small so they really don't need a very high "hit" percentage before they
cover their costs.

--
Paul Griffiths