new babies and old frinds

Old May 10th 04, 04:34 AM
melbgal1

Default new babies and old frinds

Carla says...
melbgal1 wrote:

I'm amazed at the "old shoe" thing. It's like i've always changed
nappies, got up to feed etc. So .... 'normal'... ? weird.

So sweet...I hope I adjust as easily.

I think it helps that I have the cats. While I was pregnant, Hamlyn
would meow to be let out at around 4am, so i'd get up and go to the
toilet at the same time. Now that we have Cal, it's funny, but he feeds
once at midnight, then again at 4am, so my ritual hasn't changed too
much

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old May 10th 04, 12:42 PM
Kat

Sometimes I don't think nurses know how much they can impact a woman's
feeling during and after childbirth, or they don't care. I would seriously
write a letter to the hospital to let them know about those nurses. I am
still working on my letter about my triage nurse that was mean/unfriendly to
me. Hope you are doing well!!
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
Mary S. wrote:

All our new moms, if you're still reading here and haven't migrated over
to misc.kids.breastfeeding or misc.kids yet, how are you doing? Lochia
tapering off, or telling you to take it a little easier?

4 weeks postpartum this weekend. Lochia has tapered off to a mild color
to regular discharge, but I apparently "overdid" it last weekend when I
had a chance to get away from baby.. DH watched Logan while I went on a
shopping trip to get shoes, socks, & underwear. I don't know how I
"overdid" it getting those few things but apparently I did, because the
next day I was bleeding bright red w/little clots. It went away after
just that day, but I was very annoyed that it happened at all. I just
went shopping fer chrissakes!

My c-section incision healed beautifully and was never a problem. It is
a very mild scar, considering. My abdomen in the uterine area is still
feeling like sore muscles though - but just regular sore muscle pain.

getting out of the house, or snuggling in with the baby? How's your

I try to get out of the house a few times on the weekend when DH can
watch Logan, and during the week I have to pack up baby and go to our
doctor's appointments and so forth.

Mostly I'm still stuck to him. He needs such constant care and there's
nobody else but DH to help me out, and he works full time.

support network?

My IL's have been great about helping with buying things for baby.
During the day I can call FIL and ask him to run to the store for me and
pick things up I need, etc. They look for any opportunity to come over
and see Logan (he's their first and only grandchild), and they think
that they must come bearing gifts. So we have a new digital camera and
various accessories, many new baby clothes, plenty of diapers to last us
a few months, lots of baby formula stacked away...

I wish I lived closer to my family though. I have nieces, and
nephews, and sisters not to mention my mom, who would love to take Logan
for a few hours so I could catch a nap, except they all live 4 hours
south! I can't wait for the summer so I can steal my niece so she can
help with the baby.

breastfeeding, for example). Still getting the hang of all this newbaby
stuff? How's motherhood treating you so far? How are you feeling about
your birth experience? Write everything down, it disappears so quickly!

I have been a little blue here and there. I wouldn't call it depression
because it comes and goes but if it stayed it would definitely be
depression. I'm so sensitive to hormone changes and I can pinpoint many
moments when my emotional response is due to a hormone change, so I can
rationalize the depressive moment away. But it still bothers me!

I struggle between being ecstatically in love with my little boy to
being desperately frantic over being needed 24/7! I obsess over the
color and consistency of his poop. I obsess over whether or not I'm
giving him enough personal attention, enough intellectual stimulation,
enough educational experiences for him to develop properly.

I've found Logan will let me sleep better if I set him up in bed next to
me. But I can only do this in the morning after DH goes to work - not
enough room in bed otherwise! and I keep Logan out of the bedroom when
he's fussy at night so DH can get some decent sleep before work.

I'm ok with my birth experience. Despite having to have a c-section I am
ok with that decision because I understood and agreed with my doctor's
thought process about it. It was the time after the birth that I spent
in the hospital that bothers me. The moment when the two nurses, just
hours after my c-section, insisted on both pushing very hard on my
stomach for several minutes so they could push out discharge and see if
there were any large clots. I am a strong woman, I handle pain and I
handle distress. They made me cry. They made me SOB. I do not see what
they did as necessary since it was only hours after the c-section and
there was no indication there was danger.

The moments when they insisted my Logan's temperature was too low and
they had to constantly poke his heel to check his blood sugar because
low temp can cause low blood sugar (it was never low), when they took
him away from me when he wanted to feed because it was more important to
them that they wrapped him up in hot blankets to try to raise his
temp... the hour in the middle of the night that he cried and cried and
cried while being swaddled too tightly for his liking in hot blankets
away from me when I could not go and get him because I had just had a
c-section and could barely move IN the bed let alone out of it, and the
nurses wanted him there to warm up, and my DH was away sleeping at home
because he was dead on his feet and I had told him to go home.

*sigh*

THOSE things I will remember. THOSE things I regret.

Next time I will be a much more difficult patient. I will NOT let the
doctors poke my baby's heel 20 times a day or insist on having him away
from me when he wants to feed just because his temp is 97.6 (which btw
is a very normal temperature for me, his mother, who'd been his home for
9 months). I will insist that someone who can advocate for me and my
baby be in the hospital with me at all times.

Other than that, we're good.

Old May 10th 04, 08:30 PM
Irene

Both of my babies are doing well...ds just loves being a big brother,
and adores his little sister. He insists on calling her by her full
name, Gwendolyn, and objects strongly if anyone tries to call her
Wendy!

DD (one month) is still in the velcro baby stage. Most of the time,
I'm fine with it, but sometimes it gets a bit much. And of course,
all of the well-meaning people who look at me like I'm crazy when I
tell them I'd rather hold her than put her down and have her wake 5
minutes later are starting to annoy me. I need some good comebacks!

My recovery was a lot easier thesecond time around. Nikki got it
right - since I could carry ds (2.75yrs, about 40 lbs) when I was 9
months pg, I could do it after baby was born! Those arm muscles have
also helped with the velcro baby, too!

Ds' tantrums have continued, but I think we are dealing with them
better. I just signed him up for fullday Montessori in the fall.
When we visited, he just seemed to fit in perfectly. Now I just have
to get himm potty-trained this summer, so he can go! (All of the real
pre-schools around here seem to require it) He's excited about
pre-school, so that will be a good incentive, I hope.

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
& Gwendolyn 4/8/04
Old May 11th 04, 02:53 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Kat wrote:

Sometimes I don't think nurses know how much they can impact a woman's
feeling during and after childbirth, or they don't care. I would seriously
write a letter to the hospital to let them know about those nurses. I am
still working on my letter about my triage nurse that was mean/unfriendly to
me. Hope you are doing well!!

I have a public health nurse that visits me here at home. She's been
great. She said that she was a nicu nurse for a while, and she was
always poking babies' heels for blood draws and never thought anything
of it. Then when she had her baby and they had to poke his heel for
blood, she cried and cried along with him.

I think it's just that the nurses become disconnected a little. It's a
defense mechanism to protect themselves from the nasty feelings
associated with all the things they must do to keep people healthy. In
some instances this can backfire and leave people feeling mistreated.

Old May 11th 04, 04:11 AM
laurie

We've been so crazy lately- Christopher woke up on his first birthday (3 weeks
ago now) with terrible croup, had a course of steroids, then developed a temp
for 5 days and started wheezing, which turned out to be pneumonia. He has just
now, the past few days, finally stopped wheezing- he's been getting nebulizer
treatments for a week or so, which helped. Poor little guy, he was so sick, but
looks like we've turned the corner. Other than that, he's great- a peanut, just
like his sister- only 18lbs, 10 oz last week at 12.5 months! Happiest little
guy on earth though. Loves to clap his hands, wave, smile, giggle, and does the
furniture walking thing. He's not walking independently yet but hey, I'm in no
rush! Jessica is doing well, just got a little cold during C's illness,
thankfully. We were going to start her in preschool a couple of weeks ago but
my husband pretty much lost his job (not officially laid off but no work for
him), so I've been working 40+ hours a week, which has been difficult. He does
a great job with the kids, which is of course the most important thing, but the
house has been *horrible*. He did get a new job that he started today, but
he's a little unsure about it. So, looks like we have to hold off on preschool
for Jess until the fall. I wanted her to start now for the social aspect, but
she's still quite young, so it's no biggie.

Me, I'm ok. Today is my 7th anniversary and we have no babysitters, so we had
takeout and hubby went to bed early. How romantic.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, one year old!
Old May 12th 04, 04:31 AM
melbgal1

Irene says...

DD (one month) is still in the velcro baby stage.

heh. I like this analogy

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old May 12th 04, 05:12 PM

"Mary S." wrote in message ...

And not-so-new moms, whether you're a beloved member or lurking or
skimming or occasionally checking in, how is everything going with your
families?

Well enough. We're in the midst of the 18-month-old cranky behavior.
Oscar is sooooo frustrated that he can't communicate more clearly that
he's welded to me, since I'm the reliable translator. Every couple of
days I hear something like "I don't want to walk" so clearly that
strangers can understand it, so I'm hoping he'll outgrow this soon.
He is delighted with his new fish shoes and has long conversations
with total strangers if you mention the words "helicopter" or "owl"
and is stunned that it's so hot outside all of a sudden. DH is
writing madly on his dissertation. I'm broody but terrified, and
we're waiting for DH to finish anyway. :-)

--
C, mama to eighteen month old nursling
Old May 16th 04, 05:44 PM
Kat

Sorry this is a bit late. Will has been very uncooperative:-) I am
beginning to think that Will and Maggie have allergies, going to call their
ped tomorrow about it all. I have started running again, slow but
surely:-). Will is now about 16 pounds and 25 inches. Not too bad I think.
Everyone is getting into the gist of things. My dh and I have been seeing a
counselor (nothing provoked it, we were actually pretty happy with each
other, we just want to work on some issues together) and it seems to be
helping, and has at least enlightened me a bit about my dh. I am
desperately missing my best friend...She's only about 45 minutes away but
Will hates the car seat with a passion. But he is laughing, and talking,
and screaching very well. He has managed to roll over in his sleep so he is
no longer allowed to sleep on the side of the bed with the edge.
I feel like I am having a change of heart where it comes to my career, or
lack there of. I think I have decided to pursue a career in a bookstore or
library, and maybe become a doula (so I can nuture my desire to help
pregnant women and their families the way I want to).
I have already been thinking about #3 but think we will wait 4-5 years
before we have another.
Anyway, that's about it. Hope everyone is doing well!!
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and Will 02/10/04

"Mary S." wrote in message
The tenth month! Postpartum is definitely a part of pregnancy, so here
you go:

All our new moms, if you're still reading here and haven't migrated over
to misc.kids.breastfeeding or misc.kids yet, how are you doing? Lochia
tapering off, or telling you to take it a little easier? Are you
getting out of the house, or snuggling in with the baby? How's your
support network? Don't hesitate to talk to your OB if you're feeling
bit blue -- it's *very* common, and there's no reason for anyone to
suffer (the vast majority of antidepressants are fine to take while
breastfeeding, for example). Still getting the hang of all this newbaby
stuff? How's motherhood treating you so far? How are you feeling about
your birth experience? Write everything down, it disappears so quickly!

And not-so-new moms, whether you're a beloved member or lurking or
skimming or occasionally checking in, how is everything going with your
families? One of the most valuable part of this board, I think, is the
number of not-pregnant women who stay in the community, whether to give
advice, follow friends' progress, live vicariously, or cheer each other
on. So how are you all doing?

Mary