Opinions on Theodore Bean & Maclaren Carriers

Old October 26th 03, 07:44 AM
Cynthia

Default Opinions on Theodore Bean & Maclaren Carriers

Hi,
I am looking for a front carrier that can carry up to 40 lbs. I was
surprised to find that I could find only a few opinions on the
Theodore Bean carrier on the web (Epinions), and none searching Google
Groups. I have also not been able to find any reviews of the Maclaren
front carrier. I hope some of you have tried either of these
carriers. I'd love to hear your opinions of these carriers. Thanks.
Cynthia
Old October 27th 03, 08:25 AM
Jenrose

"Cynthia" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I am looking for a front carrier that can carry up to 40 lbs. I was
surprised to find that I could find only a few opinions on the
Theodore Bean carrier on the web (Epinions), and none searching Google
Groups. I have also not been able to find any reviews of the Maclaren
front carrier. I hope some of you have tried either of these
carriers. I'd love to hear your opinions of these carriers. Thanks.
Cynthia

No clue about those carriers.

BUT... I would strongly suggest you look at other options.

One great option for front carries is an asian-style carrier. See
www.kozycarrier.com or www.babyback-tie.com for two examples. I've tried the
Kozy--it's good through as heavy as you can piggyback a child. Or an adult
for that matter. I put a 10 year old on my back in it. The woman who makes
the Kozy has a picture of herself *in* the carrier riding piggyback on her
hubby. Cute, if not practical, but tells you how well the carrier can work
for heavy kids! It's even easier for front carries, though height becomes an
issue eventually. But it is just insanely comfortable even for 35 pound
kids.

Wraparounds are also good. www.peppermint.com and www.kangarookorner.com
have several, I believe. They take longer to get into than the Asian
carrier, but they work for many ages and are better for a forward-facing
front carry. Note that NO carrier will make forward facing "perfectly
comfortable" past 25 pounds or so--the weight distribution is just wrong
once they get to be a certain size, but once they're mobile they usually
don't mind facing the parent if the carrier is comfy enough and they really
want to be carried. But wraparounds are the best I've seen for heavy
children forward facing. I prefer the Asian carrier for arm mobility (it
allows complete arm freedom) but the wraparound beats just about everything
for versatility.

Two slings crossed (such as the MamaBaby, www.midwiferytoday.com ) are very
good for heavier children, and offer the versatility of sling *or*
wraparound style carries. They do not distribute weight to the waist as well
as a wraparound but are easier to get into and out of (and nurse in),
especially back carries. The MamaBaby is the easiest I've seen for back
carries for heavy children, and works very well for forward facing front
carries. It is the best I've used for newborns.

In my experience, the more buckles and straps a thing has, the less
comfortable it ends up being. A good carrier, IMO, carries a kid close to
the parent's center of gravity, puts the majority of the weight so that it
is being carried "skeletally" rather than muscularly, and is versatile.

If you must have buckles and straps, look at the Ergo Baby carrier (also at
peppermint, I believe...). Works front or back and the easiest "structured"
back carrier I've seen. Very cozy on the front, too.
Jenrose