paper diapers that don't leak?

Old October 19th 03, 02:59 AM
AlenasMom

Default paper diapers that don't leak?

"zeldabee" wrote in message
I'm using cloth, but I'd like to use paper diapers when I go out...and

I'm
*considering* switching when I go back to work and my son's in daycare.

But
every paper diaper I've tried leaks. The (diaper service) cloth diapers
with the Pro-Wrap or Whisper Wrap covers rarely do. Does anyone have
recommendations for good non-leaking paper diapers, or does leaking just

go
with the territory?

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/

I'm sorry, I have to be an @$$ here.
Paper diapers aren't very good because paper isn't really absorbent!
When I first read this I was really tired and pictured diapers made out of
pieces of a notebook.
For me, I just bring a ziplock bag along for soiled diapers. It works like
a charm and keeps the smell out of the air. Then I toss them into the pail
when I get home.
Pampers didn't leak, but gave Alena HORRIBLE diaper rash, so I can't really
recommend anything.

Old October 19th 03, 03:08 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

zeldabee wrote:

Rite Aid store brand

I got a pack of those as a shower gift. The most horrible
diapers I've ever used. They literally disintegrated when
I'd take the old one off, and leaked horribly.

One problem is that they seem to be sold in large sized packages, so it's
not like I can buy a small quantity to try them out. Unfortunately, the
samples I got from the hospital and whatnot were all newborn size, which
are far too small.

If you don't mind the Pampers smell, I'd get a pack of the
next size up. Odds are, at some point your DD will fit in
that size, even if she doesn't now. If you don't mind
waiting awhile, get on some of the big name-brand companies'
mailing lists. I got 4-6 diapers in each size that way, but
they come as the company thinks your baby is likely to be
growing into them.

Phoebe
--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 19th 03, 05:31 AM
H Schinske

I've always had more blow-outs with disposables than with cloth.
*shrug*

My kids had blow-outs with EVERYTHING. I think in some cases it's not the
diaper type, it's the kid or the technique or both.

--Helen the possibly incompetent diaperer ;-)
Old October 19th 03, 06:34 PM
zeldabee

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
zeldabee wrote:

Rite Aid store brand

I got a pack of those as a shower gift. The most horrible
diapers I've ever used. They literally disintegrated when
I'd take the old one off, and leaked horribly.

Ew. Actually I used a couple yesterday, and they didn't disintegrate or
leak, but they did seem a little small. Also, he didn't do any major poop
when he was wearing them.

One problem is that they seem to be sold in large sized packages, so
it's not like I can buy a small quantity to try them out.
Unfortunately, the samples I got from the hospital and whatnot were all
newborn size, which are far too small.

If you don't mind the Pampers smell, I'd get a pack of the
next size up.

Pampers smell? He was in Pampers in the hospital, and I don't remember a
smell.

Odds are, at some point your DD will fit in
that size, even if she doesn't now.

He's a DS, but IKWYM. )

If you don't mind
waiting awhile, get on some of the big name-brand companies'
mailing lists. I got 4-6 diapers in each size that way, but
they come as the company thinks your baby is likely to be
growing into them.

That's not a bad idea.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 19th 03, 08:31 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

zeldabee wrote:

Pampers smell? He was in Pampers in the hospital, and I don't remember a
smell.

They smell like "Baby Fresh." Some people don't mind it,
but it always smelled really strong and unpleasant to me,
and if I had Pampers in a bag with a spare outfit, they made
the outfit smell, too. I think the Swaddlers are less
smelly, because I didn't notice a smell to the sample of
those that I used.

He's a DS, but IKWYM. )

Oops.

Phoebe

--
yahoo address is unread - substitute mailbolt

Old October 20th 03, 04:46 AM
Lara

Clisby wrote:

But it's entirely possible cloth diapers/covers are greatly improved
over what they used to be. My mother used nothing but cloth diapers,
and the ones she used were *definitely* leakier than disposables.

They've not just improved, they've changed completely. Where Luke had
blowouts and horrible, horrble rashes and leaks with paper nappies (he
wasn't in them for long!), he's been comfortable, dry and virtually
leak-free in cloth. The leaks happen very rarely and only with user
error, pretty much - cover not fastened properly, nappy not tucked in.
I'm trying to remember the last (non-diarrhoea) leak we had, and
struggling.

Curiously, though when Luke had gastro, the best performing nappy was a
good old terry flat. Go figure!

Lara
Old October 20th 03, 04:32 PM
zeldabee

Phoebe & Allyson wrote:
zeldabee wrote:

Pampers smell? He was in Pampers in the hospital, and I don't remember
a smell.

They smell like "Baby Fresh."

Why do people think that babies need to smell like that? Babies smell so
nice as they are...clean babies do, anyway...

Some people don't mind it,
but it always smelled really strong and unpleasant to me,
and if I had Pampers in a bag with a spare outfit, they made
the outfit smell, too. I think the Swaddlers are less
smelly, because I didn't notice a smell to the sample of
those that I used.

That would explain it--the Pampers from the hospital were the newborn ones
with the cutout.

He's a DS, but IKWYM. )

Oops.

NP.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 20th 03, 04:32 PM
zeldabee

"AlenasMom" wrote:
[cloth vs paper]
For me, I just bring a ziplock bag along for soiled diapers. It works
like a charm and keeps the smell out of the air. Then I toss them into
the pail when I get home.

This is what I do. Of course, I forgot one the other day... /

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old October 26th 03, 03:22 PM
Anne Rogers

Default where to buy or rent a hospital grade breast pump in the UK

I'm starting work soon and am thinking that I might need to get hold of a
better pump (I currently have an Avent Isis). I've searched online and
have been quite disapointed with the information I've found. I've only
found telephone numbers to ring up for more information and no source to
buy one! I really need more information so I can make an educated
decision!

Anne Rogers

WTB: Paying Top Dollar for Kushies Diapers / Kooshies Cuddlers or other cloth diapers Crystal Hall General 2 August 1st 04 12:02 AM
Huggies diapers .. Jill Pregnancy 32 June 3rd 04 07:11 PM
fitted diapers vs. chinese prefolds hobbes General 3 August 26th 03 07:06 PM
Helping Your Child Be Healthy and Fit sX3#;WA@'U John Smith Kids Health 0 July 20th 03 04:50 AM
2 1/4 year old keeps taking off diapers Nina Pregnancy 0 July 9th 03 12:53 AM