question about milk supply

Old November 15th 04, 05:12 PM
Leann and Donald

Default question about milk supply

HI! I had b/g twins on August 27th at 26 weeks gestation. They are 11
weeks now, and the girl just came home yesterday. I've been pumping about
18 to 20 ounces a day. My question is if I stop pumping and just b/f my
girl will my supply increase for my boy when he comes home. (I'm so sick of
pumping!) I know you generally increase when they go through growth spurts,
but I wasn't sure if my supply decreased if it would increase again as
needed.

Also, typically how many minutes should she breastfeed for. She does
anywhere from 5-13 minutes on one side at a time, and generally does not
like to switch. I know in the beginning you should do 10 minutes on each
side, but that's just to bring your milk in right?? It's hard to get her
latched on, but when she does she does well. When I try to switch her it is
just too frustrating to get her latched to the other side, so I just wait
until she's hungry again and try that side.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Leann

Old November 15th 04, 05:15 PM
Leann and Donald

Oops, sorry, I meant to post this on the breastfeeding ng. But if you have
any info I would appreciate it :-)

Leann

Old November 15th 04, 08:59 PM
Kender

When my girls were babies they each had their own breast. That way it was
easier for me to tell when they ate last, they made their own supply etc. I
was definitely lopsided, Morgan ate more then Megan, but it worked for me.
Maybe if your daughter prefers one side that can be her side and you can
pump the other side until your son comes home. That pumped breast milk will
come in handy in the future! I think it's harder to increase a supply then
decrease it. Hopefully that side will agree with him. : )

My kids breastfed for about 30 minutes at a time for the first 3 months.
Eventually it got down to 15 minutes but never was really shorter then that.
Everyone is different. I never really liked nursing the twins together so I
was constantly nursing. Good luck and congrats!

--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2-15-97

Old November 17th 04, 02:21 AM
Leann and Donald

That pumped breast milk will
come in handy in the future!

Thanks. As for pumped breast milk for the future, I have a 4 cubic foot
chest freezer in my basement completely filled with frozen breast milk and
some in my neighbor's freezer. So I'm pretty set :-)

Leann

Old November 17th 04, 02:27 AM
Megan Byrne

Wow, Leanne! WTG on the frozen BM! LOL
I keep meaning to ask how the twins are. How are they doing? When should
your son be home? Update us please!

Megan~
"Mama" to Aidan & Alexis
25 mos. old

Old November 17th 04, 03:22 AM
Kender

I remember having my freezer completely full too. DH was so mad we couldn't
keep any frozen food in there! I had to pour a lot of milk out eventually
and almost had a break down.

Old November 19th 04, 11:53 PM
Leann and Donald

They are doing great. DD is home and is gaining weight nicely. DS will
hopefully be home soon after thanksgiving. He is still having some feeding
issues and will probably have to come home on oxygen while feeding.
Otherwise he is doing great. He weighs 5 lb, 13 oz and dd weighs 5 lbs, 10
oz.

Thanks for asking.

Leann