Unusually Sleepy Baby

Old October 12th 05, 02:03 AM
Cuddlefish

Default Unusually Sleepy Baby

So as you know, it was Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada. On
Sunday I had a turkey dinner, and yesterday I had two turkey buns from
the leftovers. I drank alcohol too, but no more than what I drink
typically with meals. DS [2 months] is exclusively breastfed.

Well he has been asleep since say 11am, and it is 6pm now! He sleeps
very well at nights but seldom has long stretches more than 3 hours
during the day. I've been feeding him while he has been sleeping, and
woke him up to change his very soiled diaper at 5pm.

Was it the turkey dinner? Do babies do this from time to time? Is there
a reason for long sleepy days like this?

Jacqueline
#1 DS born 10th August 2005
Old October 12th 05, 04:12 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

It could have been the excitement of all the company in the house (you
had Thanksgiving with other people, right?), or perhaps the alcohol, or
your baby could be coming down with a cold or fever, or it could be
something completely different.

Hoping it was something innocuous, like the excitment,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 12th 05, 04:54 AM
dkhedmo

I would say maybe the baby is fighting off a cold. The other thing that
comes to mind is that my second one seems to sleep through growth
spurts, moreso than nursing/eating through them. That kid will have 2-4
days in a row of sleeping late and taking double long naps, then sure
enough his clothes don't fit when he gets back on a the usual routine.

-Karen-

#1 DS born 10th August 2005

Old October 12th 05, 08:49 AM
Anne Rogers

did he have jabs? 2 months is the first lot here and sleeping for a long
time afterwards isn't unusual

you are now making me wonder, I posted a couple of days ago about Ada being
sleepy, we also had a thanksgiving meal (no we are not in canada, nor
canadian), but I didn't drink.

Anne

Old October 12th 05, 09:23 AM
Linz

Cuddlefish wrote:
So as you know, it was Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada. On
Sunday I had a turkey dinner, and yesterday I had two turkey buns from
the leftovers. I drank alcohol too, but no more than what I drink
typically with meals. DS [2 months] is exclusively breastfed.

Well he has been asleep since say 11am, and it is 6pm now! He sleeps
very well at nights but seldom has long stretches more than 3 hours
during the day. I've been feeding him while he has been sleeping, and
woke him up to change his very soiled diaper at 5pm.

Was it the turkey dinner? Do babies do this from time to time? Is
there a reason for long sleepy days like this?

Has he recently been feeding far more? It could be the growth part of a
growth spurt - first they feed loads to give them energy to grow, then they
sleep lots to do the actual growing.

Old October 12th 05, 09:32 AM
Cocoamum

Cuddlefish wrote:

So as you know, it was Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada. On
Sunday I had a turkey dinner, and yesterday I had two turkey buns from
the leftovers. I drank alcohol too, but no more than what I drink
typically with meals. DS [2 months] is exclusively breastfed.

"...no more than what I drink typically with meals"

We'll freze the picture a moment.....

Do you regularly drink with meals?

I know that the amount of alcohol the baby gets is very little, but
every day?

I must admit I'm shocked.

Tine, Denmark, where there is a very liberal attitude to alcohol, but
where nursing mothers don't drink regularly and get away with it.
Old October 12th 05, 09:48 AM
Anne Rogers

"...no more than what I drink typically with meals"

We'll freze the picture a moment.....

Do you regularly drink with meals?

I know that the amount of alcohol the baby gets is very little, but every
day?

I must admit I'm shocked.

yeah, I was slightly surprised too, but she could easily have meant, what I
normally drink at a special meal, which if it were me I would usualy have
one glass of wine, but it would likely be slightly more than a standard
measure, so 1.5 units, I could have easily written the same thing, but
meaning I drank what I might if I was having Sunday lunch with my parents,
not what I have everyday.

Anne

Old October 12th 05, 10:26 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Cocoamum writes:

Cuddlefish wrote:
So as you know, it was Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada. On
Sunday I had a turkey dinner, and yesterday I had two turkey buns from
the leftovers. I drank alcohol too, but no more than what I drink
typically with meals. DS [2 months] is exclusively breastfed.

"...no more than what I drink typically with meals"

We'll freze the picture a moment.....

Do you regularly drink with meals?

I know that the amount of alcohol the baby gets is very little, but
every day?

I must admit I'm shocked.

I'm surprised you're shocked! Don't know about Cocoamum, but I drink some
alcohol most days, in the sense that most evenings I have a glass of wine
with my evening meal. I stay within the normal recommendations that apply
to all adult women - for the avoidance of doubt about which guidelines, I
mean no more than 14 units per week, no more than 3 units on any one day,
at least 2 alcohol-free days per week - but I don't restrict alcohol any
more than that because I'm breastfeeding. There's neither any good
empirical evidence, nor any reasonable theoretical argument, that it's
beneficial to do so.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 12th 05, 10:29 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Sidheag McCormack writes:

Don't know about Cocoamum

Sorry, that should have ben Cuddlefish.

Old October 12th 05, 11:43 AM
Anne Rogers

I'm surprised you're shocked! Don't know about Cocoamum, but I drink some
alcohol most days, in the sense that most evenings I have a glass of wine
with my evening meal. I stay within the normal recommendations that apply
to all adult women - for the avoidance of doubt about which guidelines, I
mean no more than 14 units per week, no more than 3 units on any one day,
at least 2 alcohol-free days per week - but I don't restrict alcohol any
more than that because I'm breastfeeding. There's neither any good
empirical evidence, nor any reasonable theoretical argument, that it's
beneficial to do so.

now I'm surprised, the advice out there is quite confusing, but I've not
seen any that suggests that normal consumption is ok, more that some
consumption is ok, but seeming to indicated less than the normal amounts,
e.g. 1-2 units 1-2 times per week. There is no disputing that alcohol goes
through to the breastmilk, what is disputed is what affect that has on the
baby, which seems to me to satisfy both empirical evidence and a reasonable
theoretical argument.

How much did you drink whilst you were pregnant?

As an aside, there are multiple studies indicating that alcohol inhibits let
down, so though you've clearly had no problems with Colin, that could be a
factor in you not letting down for pumps.

Cheers

Anne

PS I am so used to low alcohol consumption that I think if I drunk 14 units
a week I would feel I was an alcoholic! This is just personal preference, I
wouldn't drink more if I wasn't breastfeeding my body just seems to suit 1
unit a week.