Unusually Sleepy Baby

Old October 13th 05, 09:10 AM
Linz

Default Unusually Sleepy Baby

Sidheag McCormack wrote:
Linz writes:

You see? We are clones!

I knew we would be :-) You know, we have to meet up one of these days.

You're right, we must!

We'll probably hate one another in person! I may be in your part of

I doubt it - I don't think I've disliked anyone yet that I liked online!

the world in the spring some time... are you ever up in mine?

You're in the Frozen North, aren't you? Haven't been over the wall for a
couple of years and it's not on the cards in the foreseeable future, as far
as I know.

Old October 14th 05, 06:56 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sidheag McCormack wrote:
*
*Seriously, if you find anything solid about what inhibits letdown and why,
*please let me know just for interest - I don't think I've ever seen any
*more than assertions. I don't think alcohol can be relevant, given the
*timings, but I'd be interested in what *else* can inhibit letdown. I have a

You prompted me to review my physiology notes on lactation

Here's what I found:

-there is a neurological response due to stimulation of the nipple or teat
by nursing. Nursing--nerve stimulation--brain--hypothalamus--pituitary
gland--oxytocin release--smooth muscle contraction esp myoepithelial
cells in mammary gland!

-if the nerves are severed so the mom can't perceive the suckling, letdown
will not occur.

-if you inject the blood of a cow IN THE PROCESS OF LETTING DOWN into a
cow who is not having any kind of stimulation to produce letdown, the
recipient cow will experience letdown.

-injection of oxytocin will induce letdown

-general anesthesia of the lactating female will prevent letdown due to
nursing/suckling, but injection of oxytocin into the anesthetized female
will result in letdown.

In addition to the sucking stimulus is the learned stimulus. Cows will let
down in response to clanging on a bucket, if that is what happens before
each milking, or in response to being herded into the milking shed, or
whatever. But I don't think that's really relevant. I am wondering if for
whatever reason the pump just does not provide you the necessary sensory
stimulation?

-h.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old October 14th 05, 09:52 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Hillary Israeli writes:

You prompted me to review my physiology notes on lactation

Thank you!

-if you inject the blood of a cow IN THE PROCESS OF LETTING DOWN into a
cow who is not having any kind of stimulation to produce letdown, the
recipient cow will experience letdown.

Wow, that must have been an experiment and a half to do...!

-injection of oxytocin will induce letdown

That's interesting. So here's a real TMI question: how come orgasm doesn't
induce letdown? Or does it, in "normal" people?? (And/or in cows?!)

In addition to the sucking stimulus is the learned stimulus. Cows will
let down in response to clanging on a bucket, if that is what happens
before each milking, or in response to being herded into the milking
shed, or whatever. But I don't think that's really relevant. I am
wondering if for whatever reason the pump just does not provide you the
necessary sensory stimulation?

Who knows? The pump certainly wasn't providing *too little* stimulation,
but maybe for some reason it wasn't providing the right stimulation on any
of the settings. I have more difficulty in understanding why anybody does
let down for a pump than why I don't, TBH!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 15th 05, 08:03 AM

LOL that was what I meant, not understood by me, if I get a moment I
will find the stuff about inhibiting let down, I've always been
baffelled by your not letting down at all for the pump, many people
struggle, but you are the worse I've come across.

:-) gee, thanks :-) (Actually, I've heard about several people who are as
bad as me, though I don't remember names.

(waving)

aol (waving) /aol

--
C, mama to 2.75 year old nursling
who has taken to referring to herself

Old October 15th 05, 11:14 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Sidheag McCormack wrote:

That's interesting. So here's a real TMI question: how come orgasm doesn't
induce letdown? Or does it, in "normal" people?? (And/or in cows?!)

Orgasm does induce letdown. In fact, there are lactation porn fetishists who
enjoy the sight of letdown at orgasm.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old October 15th 05, 12:34 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Chookie writes:

In article ,
Sidheag McCormack wrote:

That's interesting. So here's a real TMI question: how come orgasm
doesn't induce letdown? Or does it, in "normal" people?? (And/or in
cows?!)

Orgasm does induce letdown. In fact, there are lactation porn fetishists
who enjoy the sight of letdown at orgasm.

OK. Not in me, though!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003
Old October 15th 05, 04:25 PM

Orgasm does induce letdown. In fact, there are lactation porn fetishists
who enjoy the sight of letdown at orgasm.

OK. Not in me, though!

Again, me either. Or else it's just that I don't leak milk and I don't
feel letdowns. Either way. There's certainly no "sight of letdown."

I had to turn the hospital-grade pump to maxed on both settings to get
anything at all, and the IBCLC told me I had classic pump resistance by
the end of the 5 days DS was in NICU, with my pitiful little NICU
freezer stash composed of one bottle of EBM consisting of 20 ml. Since
DS was a 34 weeker and just getting his suck reflex plus he was utterly
confused by the pacifier + bottle + breast nipple confusion (I had to
resort to squishing the bottle nipple against his gums to get milk into
him because he wouldn't suck on it for more than a few seconds, nor the
paci, nor me), I had hoped that with pumping I'd be able to get my milk
in and keep it in and stimulate production. Instead I'm convinced I
built my supply up by leaving him latched on for an hour+ out of every
2.5 hours for the next three weeks, after the reflex really kicked in
and I taught him how to latch.

Now I'm curious: did you ever leak milk? 'Cause I got a couple drops
once, three days after birth, and none after...

--
C, mama to 2.75 year old nursling

Old October 15th 05, 04:55 PM
Jess

wrote in message
oups.com...
Now I'm curious: did you ever leak milk? 'Cause I got a couple drops
once, three days after birth, and none after...

I know where you live and I'm coming over. Which reminds me, I'm working
on getting you and friend together-her son's the same age, but she's out in
BFE.

Jess

Old October 15th 05, 08:32 PM
Sidheag McCormack

cjorp writes:

Now I'm curious: did you ever leak milk? 'Cause I got a couple drops
once, three days after birth, and none after...

No, never. I don't feel letdown, either - so it's a good thing DS (who was
exclusively bf till 6 months) has always been a 75th percentiler, or I'd
doubt whether I have milk at all!

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 16th 05, 01:07 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sidheag McCormack wrote:

*Hillary Israeli writes:
*
* You prompted me to review my physiology notes on lactation
*
*Thank you!

The pleasure was all mine
It never hurts to review!

* -if you inject the blood of a cow IN THE PROCESS OF LETTING DOWN into a
* cow who is not having any kind of stimulation to produce letdown, the
* recipient cow will experience letdown.
*
*Wow, that must have been an experiment and a half to do...!

I had the same thought. I mean really.

* -injection of oxytocin will induce letdown
*
*That's interesting. So here's a real TMI question: how come orgasm doesn't
*induce letdown? Or does it, in "normal" people?? (And/or in cows?!)

It is frequently noted on breastfeeding websites and pamphlets that some
breastfeeding women will leak or spray milk at orgasm... can't say about
the cows, though, sorry. I can't say I've ever looked into the possibility

h.