Newborn cries by night, sleeps happily by day

Old February 11th 06, 08:51 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Newborn cries by night, sleeps happily by day

My husband is on the end of his tether: tonight was his first baby
vigil night, after I had done the previous two nights. Our little girl
is an angel by day but something seems to trigger 2-hour long crying
fits by night and we're just stumped as to what might be causing it.
She's clean and fed and held in our arms and still won't stop. I
personally am dealing with it much better than her dad who is
devastated because it kills him to be so helpless with his beloved
princess. Any ideas?

Old February 11th 06, 01:48 PM posted to misc.kids

Our daughter was like that at around 2 months. The only things I could
really figure it maybe was was gas, or the chocolate that I was eating (it
was Christmas and that was the only thing out of the ordinary I was eating)
DBf was much better at dealing with it than me. We did find that rocking
her seemed to help, we'd put her in her infant to toddler rocker (fisher
price) and just rock it back and forth. The swinger that we got for her for
Christmas was a God send when we got it put together. It really helped.

oups.com...

Old February 11th 06, 01:48 PM posted to misc.kids

"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward"
wrote in
oups.com:

My husband is on the end of his tether: tonight was his
first baby vigil night, after I had done the previous two
nights. Our little girl is an angel by day but something
seems to trigger 2-hour long crying fits by night and we're
just stumped as to what might be causing it. She's clean
and fed and held in our arms and still won't stop. I
personally am dealing with it much better than her dad who
is devastated because it kills him to be so helpless with
his beloved princess. Any ideas?

how old is she? is this late at night (after 10pm) or in the
evening(after 5pm)?
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old February 11th 06, 01:50 PM posted to misc.kids

In article .com,
"Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward" wrote:

My husband is on the end of his tether: tonight was his first baby
vigil night, after I had done the previous two nights. Our little girl
is an angel by day but something seems to trigger 2-hour long crying
fits by night and we're just stumped as to what might be causing it.
She's clean and fed and held in our arms and still won't stop. I
personally am dealing with it much better than her dad who is
devastated because it kills him to be so helpless with his beloved
princess. Any ideas?

Only that two hours is not that long, and this is pretty normal for a
newborn.

Have you tried swaddling her when she's very unhappy? Some babies are
comforted by that.

I think most of us have spent many middle of the night hours walking the
floor with a crying baby!

Old February 11th 06, 02:21 PM posted to misc.kids

I'm mom of three, and I hate to tell you this - but LOTS of babies do
this in the evenings or nights. I know its trying and mystifying, but I
don't think there is much you can do other than give it some tincture
of time.

My middle child in particular was like that. He wailed for hours every
evening - he just cried and cried and cried and cried, and there was
NOTHING we could do about it other than endure it. We actually used to
put headphones on so we could watch TV or listen to music while pacing
the floor with him. We had tried car rides and vibration, baths,
keeping the stimulation to a minimum, stepping UP the stimulation,
swaddling, feeding, changing, rocking and jiggling in every position
possible, skin to skin contact, and on and on and on. I changed my
diet. We tried gas and colic meds on him, we played soft music, we made
the room warmer, we made the room cooler, we soothed and paced and put
him in the swing. Every hint in every magazine or book or that friends
gave us, and nothing worked. It gave me some insight into child abuse,
since I swear, there were nights when I was at the end of my tether
with him, and if I hadn't had a spouse to hand him off to, I would have
been about beyond my limits (opening the window and pitching him out
started to seem like a viable option!).

Flash ahead a few years and I think we have a clue why he cried so
much. He is exquisitely sensitive to smells, sounds, physical
sensations. He's one of those kids who is driven to distraction by the
seams on his socks or the collar on a shirt. I think physical
sensations can be overwhelming for him, and he can't tune things out -
and that issue is much worse for him when he's tired. Being a wee baby
with an immature nervous system must have been awful for him.

The good news is that he did grow out of the nightly wailing - it was
at its peak in the 6 weeks to 4 or 5 month period. Hang in - it does
pass!

Mary G.

Old February 11th 06, 03:45 PM posted to misc.kids

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
My husband is on the end of his tether: tonight was his first baby
vigil night, after I had done the previous two nights. Our little girl
is an angel by day but something seems to trigger 2-hour long crying
fits by night and we're just stumped as to what might be causing it.
She's clean and fed and held in our arms and still won't stop. I
personally am dealing with it much better than her dad who is
devastated because it kills him to be so helpless with his beloved
princess. Any ideas?

She could be overstimulated. Have you tried swaddling
her tightly and leaving her in a quiet, dark room for a little
bit? I know you were inclined more towards an attachment parenting
model, but some kids just don't cooperate well with that. Actually,
that's not quite true, since AP doesn't say you'll hold the kid
24/7--it just says you'll meet the kid's needs. But some babies
actually *do* need and want to be put down to blow off some
steam and then fall asleep, even though that may seem counter-
intuitive, especially after hearing so many people talk about
how their babies needed to be held all the time.
If she's already to the point of fussing like this,
it may take her a little while to settle down. If you can
catch her when she's sleepy but not yet fussing, you might
find that she settles down very nicely. Or not ;-) But
it's worth a try!

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old February 11th 06, 04:40 PM posted to misc.kids

This sounds like my third child, actually all of them to think of it. They
had their days and nights mixed up. Really, there is no solution except time
and making the daytime active and the night-time quiet and dark. During the
day, take a walk, have the radio on or TV. But, at night, turn the lights
off or down low, don't have any other stimuli going on in the background and
make feeding as boring as possible. It does pass, but it is frustrating in
the first few weeks. I did have to bring my third to bed with me at night to
get some sleep, but that only lasted a few weeks and then I was able to put
her in the bassinet.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 11th 06, 05:58 PM posted to misc.kids

On 10 Feb 2006 23:51:28 -0800, "Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward"
wrote:

My husband is on the end of his tether: tonight was his first baby
vigil night, after I had done the previous two nights. Our little girl
is an angel by day but something seems to trigger 2-hour long crying
fits by night and we're just stumped as to what might be causing it.
She's clean and fed and held in our arms and still won't stop. I
personally am dealing with it much better than her dad who is
devastated because it kills him to be so helpless with his beloved
princess. Any ideas?

How old is she?

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old February 11th 06, 06:11 PM posted to misc.kids

wrote:

My husband is on the end of his tether: tonight was his first baby
vigil night, after I had done the previous two nights. Our little girl
is an angel by day but something seems to trigger 2-hour long crying
fits by night and we're just stumped as to what might be causing it.
She's clean and fed and held in our arms and still won't stop. I
personally am dealing with it much better than her dad who is
devastated because it kills him to be so helpless with his beloved
princess. Any ideas?

How old is she?

She's six days today. I think we'll deal with the crying fine as long
as we don't keep thinking we're doing something wrong. I think my
husband will get around to it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Old February 11th 06, 07:05 PM posted to misc.kids

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:

She's six days today. I think we'll deal with the crying fine as long
as we don't keep thinking we're doing something wrong. I think my
husband will get around to it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

The fact that it is night-time can make it seem so much worse, don't
you think? Somehow it is easier to cope during the day. I don't know
where you live but if the weather is fair try taking a late-night walk
with your hubby and baby, fresh air and a change of scene will do you
all good and it's not like you are sleeping anyway! There's nothing you
are doing "wrong" but sometimes it takes a while for you and your baby
to get to know each other, surprisingly they seem to be born with their
opinions on things and it is quite mystifying at the beginning. If you
can, try to ignore the day-night thing for a while and just think of it
as a 24 hour clock with no significance. We are so trained to think of
night as quiet sleeping time that a fussy baby can be really jarring
and upsetting. If she cries at the same time each night try to cut her
off at the pass by starting the rocking/feeding/whatever seems to
soothe her a bit earlier. Hang in there!

Elle