Steps?....Book...?.....Possible name change...;-))

Old February 18th 04, 04:58 AM
Christine

Default Steps?....Book...?.....Possible name change...;-))

I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

And....Does anyone know of a really good book on =91=91caring for a
newborn=92=92

ty.....Christine/

...Chloe Rose.....EDD....May 21st...04...
Possible Melani Rose...i'll have to wait and see her...lol..

undecided in Pa...

Old February 18th 04, 05:22 AM
Karen

The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears answered just about every
single question we had as new parents. I highly recommend it!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04...where is that book,
anyway?...-

Old February 18th 04, 10:08 AM
Clisby

Christine wrote:
I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

When my mother was having children (I was born in 1953), the doctor told
her not to go up and down steps for a month after the birth (not a
C-section). I got the impression this was pretty standard advice at the
time, but I don't think doctors recommend this any more. (Mine didn't,
anyway). Following the steps advice probably did have one good
practical effect - it forced the new mother to take it a little easy for
the first month, which I'm all in favor of.

Clisby

Old February 18th 04, 11:35 AM
Linz

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:58:37 -0500 (EST),
(Christine) wrote:

I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

Limited to steps in what way?
--
Linz
YB: 16 weeks, 15lbs 7oz
Old February 18th 04, 11:43 AM
Donna

"Christine" wrote in message
I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

I don't think it's true even for a c-section, to be honest.

And....Does anyone know of a really good book on ''caring for a
newborn''

Everyone will give you a different answer based on what they are looking for
in a childcare book. My personal favorites are The Mayo Clinic Guide To
Pregnancy And Baby's First Year (for information) and The Girlfriend's Guide
To Motherhood (for giggles).

Best wishes!

Donna

Old February 18th 04, 12:13 PM
Anne Rogers

I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

When my mother was having children (I was born in 1953), the doctor told
her not to go up and down steps for a month after the birth (not a
C-section). I got the impression this was pretty standard advice at the
time, but I don't think doctors recommend this any more. (Mine didn't,
anyway). Following the steps advice probably did have one good
practical effect - it forced the new mother to take it a little easy for
the first month, which I'm all in favor of.

plus, stairs were very painful for me early on, I made sure I minimised
trips up and down them, particularly I avoided carrying the baby up and
down the stairs at first.

Old February 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Christine

Limited to steps in what way

Meaning you can only walk up and down steps ALL day!!!

J/K......Meaning, limited use as in just a few times a day.......(
steps )

Old February 18th 04, 02:50 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Christine wrote:

I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

My last midwives recommended that after a vaginal
birth, you limit yourself to one trip per day after the
birth. So, for example, the first day you can take one
trip up and down the stairs. The next day you can take
two trips, then three trips the third day, etc. You'll
know when you don't have to limit them anymore ;-) Is
this an iron-clad rule? Of course not, but I think it's
good to lay down rules like that so that everyone around
you gets the idea that you're to be pampered for a bit.
Rest in the first few days is good for you, and you should
be focusing on the nursing relationship with your baby.

And....Does anyone know of a really good book on ''caring for a
newborn''

I dunno, maybe I'm old and crochety, but I don't
really think you need one ;-) Babies are easy. They
tell you what they need, and all you have to do is
respond. In terms of the early recovery period, my
latest midwives' recommendation was that until your
milk comes in, you should feed the baby about every two
hours (except for perhaps one longer stretch), and at
that time, you should pee and have someone bring you
something to eat and drink. Some might find that
excessive, but they contend it helps get your milk
in and get everything back to normal sooner.
Myself, I'm inclined to be a little more lax than
that, but for someone new to the job it might be
a good notion.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old February 18th 04, 05:06 PM
New York Jen

"Christine" wrote in message
I once heard that you are limited to steps after having a baby, is this
true OR is this only true if you have to have a C-Section?

And....Does anyone know of a really good book on ''caring for a
newborn''

ty.....Christine/

...Chloe Rose.....EDD....May 21st...04...
Possible Melani Rose...i'll have to wait and see her...lol..

undecided in Pa...

My OB told me after my son was born that the *only* thing I was forbidden to
do for several weeks was have intercourse. Other than that all physical
activity was ok, granted it didn't cause me pain or make me bleed too much.
You should just let your body tell you what's ok to do and what's not ok.
With a C-section I know you're not supposed to use stairs because the
muscles in your stomach have been cut and are sore, but if you deliver
vaginally, stairs really shouldn't be a problem. We live up 1 flight of
stairs and I had no problem at all from the get go.

I liked "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. Their books are informative and not
scary. You can check out some of the content at www.askdrsears.com

Good luck!

- Jen