Question(s) for the moms of more than one.

Old May 5th 04, 05:25 PM
Sophie

Default Question(s) for the moms of more than one.

Mine were all c-sections.

1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If so,

in
what way?

Yes (except #3) cos I knew what to expect and they would be planned.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

Shorter. I actually had labor with #1, but not with the others.

3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

All c-sections

4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st.

(i.e.
longer perineal massages, stretches, mental coaching, etc)

Yes, I had a birth plan even for a c-section with #2 and #3 - the order in
which I wanted things done (spinal before catheter, for example).

5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your first
delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

The anesthsia didn't take with #3. All the recoveries were easy though.

FOR THOSE WHO DELIVERED BY SCHEDULED C-SECTION:
6. Were there ANY differences in the deliveries at all? Besides possibly
being less tense, how did subsequent scheduled c-sections affect you
mentally?

I had issues after #3 - see above. I have had sad days, angry days, since
his birth. I'm starting to get nervous now that #4's c-section date has
been decided.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. This will be a

TREMENDOUS
help for me and for the success of this paper. I can't thank you enough

for
your help!

-Kara.
(If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I can also send along my
research paper when it is completed for those of you who wish to see it. I
will warn you- this is a 5pg paper and not 25 like I'm sure it could
eventually become!!

Old May 5th 04, 07:26 PM
Vicki S

"Kara H" wrote :
1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If so, in
what way?

my second labor/birth was easier for two reasons. it was shorter and
i did it at home, instead of in the hospital.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

second was shorter. third is still anticipated. :-)

3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

both of my children were born vaginally.

4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st?

i saw a midwife for the second instead of an OB.

i read very different pregnancy/birth books during my second pregnancy
- more political, more homebirth oriented. and many fewer books,
since i'd already read so much the first time.

i didn't take a childbirth class the second time but did the first.

i probably did more kegels the second time, but i'm not certain of
that.

5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your first
delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

mentally i loved my second birth much more. there was never a sense
of dealing with a stranger (the nurses at the first, hospital birth
were all strangers) or an adversary (the hospital policies that
annoyed or restricted me were "adversaries").

the first time i went to the hospital, which meant a VERY
uncomfortable 40 minute car ride. then i had to deal with the IV, the
unfamiliar environment, strangers telling me to do stupid stuff i
didn't want to do (like "now you need to change into a hospital
gown"), a "trainee" nurse who had little idea of what to do and was
very patronizing to my husband (standing between him and the monitor
display, for example), and i DESPERATELY wanted a hot shower but
couldn't because I needed 20 minutes of monitoring and an IV and then
another IV and then it was time to push and too late for a shower!

i hated the way the nurses kept being surprised by how fast i was
going. they would have been much better if they had been proactive
instead of reactive, but i kept shocking them. the worst thing that
this surprise of theirs led to was my tear. when the doctor asked
them to come help her because my son was almost crowning, the nurses
were shocked and ran to the doctor's side. rushing from opposite
sides of the room, they crashed into her instrument cart and a small
glass dish fell to the floor and shattered loudly. the doctor's
attention was yanked away from my perineum and that is when i tore. i
blame the nurses.

the second time it was just me and my husband and the two midwives, in
my den, helping my body coax my little girl out of my womb and into my
arms. so much SIMPLER!

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99; Chatty, born
Old May 5th 04, 08:35 PM
Leslie

1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If so, in
what way?

No. I have had so many different kinds of experience so it is hard to compare.

#1 was a scheduled section, scheduled in that she was breech and I knew I had
to have one, but not scheduled as to the actual day because I wanted the baby
to pick her own birthday and I wanted to experience some labor. So I was in
labor for about 12 hours before the section, dilated to 2 cm, and was only just
starting to feel a little discomfort when it was time for the section.
Recovery from the operation was very painful, though.

#2 was my best labor. I was in labor for 27 hours, did all the walking around
possible, did my breathing, and experienced it as hard work but not pain. It
was my dream labor but it ended unhappily with the discovery that the baby was
breech at 8 cm. An emergency section followed.

#3 was the labor from hell. It lasted about 30 hours, most of that at home (it
was a homebirth ending in transport). I was at 9 cm for 5 hours, having
contractions with peak after peak, when we gave in and went to the hospital for
another section, diagnosed as FTP and CPD, but I think more likely given
subsequent events that it was a malpresentation. Recovery from that section
was easy, though, almost as if I had no more nerves in that area to receive
pain!

#4 was a shorter labor, only 17 hours. Unfortunately, due to pre-eclampsia I
had to labor in bed, and after failing to progress at all after 6 hours I got
pit as well. Unable to cope with the pit contractions, I got an epidural, my
only epidural ever for LABOR. This was a vaginal birth, which was awesome, and
of course recovery was much easier than with a section, although I had to be on
bedrest for a month for post-partum pre-eclampsia.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

Both (see above). I don't think my pattern is typical, though.

3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

Also see above. Three sections, one VBAC.

4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st. (i.e.
longer perineal massages, stretches, mental coaching, etc)

I did Lamaze with the first and second. I also read tons of books both times.
I practiced more for the second, definitely. The third was only 12 months
after the second, so I didn't do anything! I did have a midwife that time,
though, so that was a little different. For number four, I was determined to
VBAC. We did Bradley classes, I read lots of different books as well as the
other ones, I got involved in an online VBAC support group and MKP, I took
special supplements to "loosen things up," and I saw a chiropractor to avoid
malpresentations.

5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your first
delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

I was mentally most prepared for 2 and 4, and I think it made a difference.
Physically, having a VBAC was the best.

FOR THOSE WHO DELIVERED BY SCHEDULED C-SECTION:
6. Were there ANY differences in the deliveries at all? Besides possibly
being less tense, how did subsequent scheduled c-sections affect you
mentally?

Mine weren't scheduled, but with each one I guess it got a little more old hat.
Kind of like, oh well, here's another one. I guess I won't ever get the birth
I want. It kind of wore me down emotionally, I guess.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. This will be a TREMENDOUS
help for me and for the success of this paper. I can't thank you enough for
your help!

-Kara.
(If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I can also send along my
research paper when it is completed for those of you who wish to see it. I
will warn you- this is a 5pg paper and not 25 like I'm sure it could
eventually become!!

I'd love to see it, Kara! What a neat project!

Leslie
Old May 6th 04, 02:20 AM
Alpha

1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If
so, in what way?

Easier only in that I knew what to expect; in most other respects, my
first labor was easier than the second.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

Just about as long -- 28 hours vs. 24 hours.

3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

Both ended in c-sections.

4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st.
(i.e. longer perineal massages, stretches, mental coaching, etc)

Yes. For the first pregnancy, my mental preparation involved coming to
terms with a fairly bad case of childbirth phobia. The first labor was
about 28 hours and involved 3+ hours of pushing; the baby's head entered
the birth canal a little crooked and for whatever reason couldn't
straighten out, so I had a non-emergent c-section. I lost anesthesia
during the surgery.

The second time, I decided to VBAC and prepared for an unmedicated birth,
with the belief that it was my best chance for a vaginal delivery. I
went past 42 weeks, agreed to induction, found out that the baby was
posterior, got a migraine during labor, finally asked for an epidural
because I was pretty much out of gas, pushed for 3+ hours again. He was
persistent posterior, I wasn't able to push him out, and I ended up with
another cesarean.

5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your
first delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

The first time, labor was spontaneous -- that was a huge difference. I
preferred being able to labor at home. I had back labor the second time,
which made that labor more draining. And of course, the migraine also
made it more draining. All in all, the first labor was a more joyful
experience than the second. But my pain relief for the second cesarean
was complete, which certainly was a big improvement over the first one.

FOR THOSE WHO DELIVERED BY SCHEDULED C-SECTION:
6. Were there ANY differences in the deliveries at all? Besides
possibly being less tense, how did subsequent scheduled c-sections
affect you mentally?

As mentioned above. Also, when they realized I was feeling the surgery,
they knocked me out, which caused me to miss the first hour of my
firstborn's life. That was part of what made the experience difficult to
deal with in the months that followed.

I was much more tense going into the second cesarean because I feared
that there might be something about my physiology that caused me to lose
pain relief, or that somehow this anesthesiologist would make whatever
mistake the first one had made, or that whatever random thing had struck
the first time would strike again the second time. No one could tell me
why I had lost anesthesia the first time, so I could have no real sense
of security when I was told it likely wouldn't happen again.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn
Old May 6th 04, 05:01 AM
Irene

"Kara H" wrote in message ...

1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If so, in
what way?

Parts of #1 were easier, and parts of #2 were easier.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

#2 was 2 hours longer than #1, which was the opposite of what I was
expecting.

3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

All vaginally.

#1 I did lots of prep - the hospital's class (Gamper method) and both
dh & I read the Bradley book, and practiced. #2 I re-read the Bradley
book & that was about it.

#1 I felt very prepared. The only thing that goofed me up was trying
to avoid pushing until my ob got back, and then I couldn't effectively
make the switch to pushing. They decided the baby was in distress and
I had to have the vacuum after only a few pushes. But, I did do the
whole thing drug-free, which was how I had wanted it.

#2 I was fine until I realized that by that time with #1, I had had
the baby already! Dh didn't quite know what to do, and I ended up
asking for some Stadol to take the edge off. (I also liked the nurse
from #1 better - more supportive of going natural) However, this
time, when I got the urge to push, I didn't hold back while waiting
for my ob, and was able to push much more effectively. I think a
little more review for dh would have helped a bit.

The recovery from #2 was much, much easier than #1. I had torn vs an
episiotomy, but also I think I was in better shape from lugging a
toddler around!

Irene
Old May 6th 04, 06:58 PM
Clisby

Kara H wrote:
For those of you who don't know, I am a high school senior. Fear not, I have
been around here for almost 5 years and several people here can testify to
that! Anyways, I have chosen to write my research paper this year on the
differences between subsequent deliveries and the first delivery. I would be
interested to hear from moms who have delivered vaginally as well as by
cesarean. So, here are a few questions I will ask you to answer in order to
help with my research:

1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If so, in
what way?

I've had 2. Yes, the 2nd was considerably easier, for 3 main reasons:

a) 14-hour labor vs. 31 hours the first time.
b) First baby was posterior, and never turned.
c) I knew more about what to expect.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

See above.

3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

Both vaginally, no complications.

4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st. (i.e.
longer perineal massages, stretches, mental coaching, etc)

No.

5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your first
delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

The first delivery was completely exhausting, mainly because of the
length. While the 2nd was actually more painful, it was easier because
it was so much faster.

The other significant difference is that with my 2nd delivery, I used a
midwife instead of an OB, which made for a much better experience overall.

Clisby

Old May 7th 04, 02:24 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Kara H wrote:

*For those of you who don't know, I am a high school senior. Fear not, I have
*been around here for almost 5 years and several people here can testify to
*that! Anyways, I have chosen to write my research paper this year on the
*differences between subsequent deliveries and the first delivery. I would be

Interesting paper.

*1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If so, in
*what way?

Yep. Labor was shorter and easier.

*2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

There was only one subsequent delivery (I have two kids) and it was
shorter.

*
*3. Did you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

Vaginally.

*
*4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st. (i.e.
*longer perineal massages, stretches, mental coaching, etc)

Nope.

*5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your first
*delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

Knowing what to expect was a BIG help. I probably could have gone
unmedicated with number one if I'd realized I was almost done labor... I
did go unmedicated with number two. The rapidity of first stage and the
near instantaneous second stage during my second labor were also key

Old May 7th 04, 07:39 PM
Matthew Beasley

"Kara H" wrote in message
For those of you who don't know, I am a high school senior. Fear not,

I have
been around here for almost 5 years and several people here can

testify to
that! Anyways, I have chosen to write my research paper this year

on the
differences between subsequent deliveries and the first delivery. I

would be
interested to hear from moms who have delivered vaginally as well as

by
cesarean. So, here are a few questions I will ask you to answer in

order to
help with my research:

1. Did you find deliveries 2, 3, 4, 5.... easier than delivery #1? If

so, in
what way?

I did find #2 easier than #1 simply because #2 was a VBAC and c/s is
never fun. My c/s was for breech presentation and while the recovery
was easy, the recovery from the VBAC was easier by far.

2. Were your subsequent deliveries shorter or longer than delivery #1?

My VBAC labor was over 50 hours but well worth the effort. It was not
terribly difficult or hard until the end.

you deliver all vaginally, by c-section, VBAC?

#1 was c/s due to breech presentation. #2 was a VBAC. I am expecting
#3 and planning anouther VBAC.

4. Did you prepare for subsequent births any differently than the 1st.

(i.e.
longer perineal massages, stretches, mental coaching, etc)

I was far more educated the second time. I knew more about the options
and risks involved in both c/s and VBAC. We did do more physical
preparation with perineal massage and stretching. I also did far more
reading and self-education as well as mental preparation.

5. What were the most significant differences, to you, between your

first
delivery and those thereafter, mentally and physically?

I was far more confident in my choices and what I wanted in my delivery
with #2. Now I am confident to the point of being pushy about what I
want and how I will get it. In this climate of VBAC resistance, I am
still very confident that I can get what I want though it has not been
easy. Now, after my first VBAC I am confident in my body's ability to
birth a baby vaginally w/o the need for drugs, etc.

Cali
EDD #3 5/31/04

Old May 7th 04, 08:44 PM
Kara H

Thanks, Cali! I will add you to my chart!

-Kara.

pushy moms at school Nevermind General 14 April 18th 04 02:31 AM
For the first time moms who had nothing...few questions????? Christine Pregnancy 55 February 26th 04 06:24 PM
Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 06:55 PM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
repost on questions to ask pediiatrition daisy Pregnancy 14 July 19th 03 12:56 AM