Internal exam and bright red bleeding?

Old May 8th 04, 05:24 AM
Jill

Default Internal exam and bright red bleeding?

I had an internal exam today (the midwife offered, but didn't push and was
ok not to do one but curiosity got the better of me, and so I requested it
and consented)....this exam did not hurt like the Group B strep and the last
attempt at an internal. I don't want to say that the last midwife wasn't
trying to be gentle, I am more sensitive some days than others, but the
midwife today did have more of an easy touch and it didn't hurt that bad at
all and was very quick.

But since then I have been crampy and bleeding bright red. Not filling a
pad, but still, a little more than what I would call "spotting". It has
slowed in the evening but was more in the afternoon just after the exam. I
bled through my jeans before I realized I was bleeding. (I went straight
home and noticed it right away when I went to the bathroom). Now I would
consider it to be closer to spotting as it has slowed some.

Is this normal, to bleed bright red after an internal exam? I definitely
don't plan to have another one. Curiosity got the better of me, It was
totally by my request. The midwife did say that she likes to at least check
once just to make sure the cervix is softening and to get a status, but that
it is not a predictor of labor. But she said she'd like to have some idea of
whether I was 0cm, or 3cm. etc. I just don't like the fact that it is bright
red! SHe knew before I left I was bleeding a bit and she told me that can
happen and just to let them know if it remained heavy. So I will call them
tomorrow morning if it is still happening.

One more thing-- do internal exams possibly ever get labor started? I was
just wondering about those who have them weekly...if they keep feeling your
cervix does it make it open up faster or irritate it or anything? It SEEMS
like those I know who have weekly internal exams, go into labor closer to
their EDD than those who pass on them. (No, I am NOT planning to have
another internal regardless, but am wondering if it could be related, since
the cervix is "messed with".) Probably a dumb question. All I know is, my
curiosity is satisfied and I am content to just wait for the contractions!

Old May 8th 04, 05:32 AM
Jill

"Jill" wrote
One more thing-- do internal exams possibly ever get labor started? I was
just wondering about those who have them weekly...if they keep feeling

your
cervix does it make it open up faster or irritate it or anything?

This question doesn't sound right. Sorry to piggyback my own post. What I am
asking is, in general, if you have the same woman...and she can go her
entire last month without any internal exam at all. And then you can have
the same woman in the same condition, and subject her to weekly internal
exams...it seems to me like the internal exams are invasive, and I am
wondering if it makes a difference if you aren't poked and prodded vs. if
you are subjected to invasive exams with someone prodding on your cervix, if
that might cause your cervix to start thinning or opening , sort of like
it's been artificially manipulated? At any rate I don't plan to have another
internal. Because I have been bleeding ever since I guess I am just
wondering HOW invasive these exams actually are to the cervix. Because I
have passed on them thus far except the 1 attempt and am 1 week away from my
EDD and was still only 1cm dilated, and my friend was subjected to them
weekly, and was 3cm dilated for her last 3 weeks...I wonder if she would
have been that dilated that soon, if she wasn't having the invasive internal
exam? Like maybe she would have still delivered when she did anyway but just
not have been 3cm all those weeks.......if that makes sense.

Jill, curious.