What you can see on an ultrasound

Old May 7th 04, 05:46 PM
Sophie

Default What you can see on an ultrasound

Maybe what you are having is a Level II?

I'll ask at my next appointment.

That's pretty wild. My ultrasound is in three weeks and I will definitly

ask
way more questions this time about what is what.
--
JennP.

It's amazing what they can see. I just say "oh yeah sure" - lol.

Old May 7th 04, 05:46 PM
Sophie

"JennP" wrote in message
newsUcmc.36688$0H1.3172064@attbi_s54...

"Sophie" wrote in message
I thought the lens was gross. The tech was so excited about that - lol.

We
have one really good shot of the face - full on, not profile. It's

just
creepy.

Ah, the Skeletor shot! They got a couple of those with matthew, waaaaay
creepy!
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

My mom *really* didn't like that one - lol.

Old May 7th 04, 05:49 PM
Sophie

Wow - and I thought the lens of the eye was pretty groovy when we saw that
with this bub.
DD had literally tons of thick dark hair (a full head of glorious hair

which
I could have curled if I'd been that-way inclined) .... and I'm suspecting
that this bub will also have a lot of hair since its a bit of a family
trait. Maybe I'll get a peek if my Ob gives me an u/s today (I have a new
Ob now and he seems to prefer to find the heartbeat on u/s than with the
doppler thingy).
How amazing that you could see the hair on the u/s.

Amanda
--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

It *is* wild.

There must be more to it - I remember being worried, probably with Patrick,
if the cord would be around his neck like it was with Charlotte. If I was
worried about movement or something I assumed they'd just listen for the
heartbeat with the doppler but the Dr said no, they'd do an ultrasound. So
there must be something they need to see, not just listen for.

Old May 7th 04, 05:50 PM
Sophie

Heh...Sophie, when I read earlier that you were tempted to find out
the sex and not tell D., I just knew that you wouldn't do that! Don't
know why but it just didn't seem to me at all like something you would
do! lol...you *do* have amazing willpower but something more than
that...for me, it's called integrity!!! ...C.

Lol. You're right, I just couldn't. I knew I'd blab. And as it's gone on,
it's been neat not knowing really. Peoples' reactions when I say we don't
want to know is funny

Old May 7th 04, 05:51 PM
Sophie

Well, I had a late ultrasound with my first due to hypertension and
suspected IUGR, and my daughter was born with a left clubfoot that was
undetected by the U/S. I was surprised, and it wasn't the end of the

world.
In fact, I think I would have been so stressed if I had found out
beforehand. I personally feel that ultrasounds have the potential to be
quite useless. Of course, I know U/S have uses. I just had to say,

for
me, the u/s didn't perform, and maybe it was for the best.

--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01
Spencer 3-12-03

Well not to play 'which is worse" but with a cleft lip and palate my friend
had major feeding issues with her son (not to mention 2 other children and a
deployed husband) and speech problems, etc....

In that case, I'd like to know to be prepared, get in touch with people who
could help,etc...

Old May 7th 04, 06:22 PM
Sophie

I really, really think it is a "to each his own" kind of thing. Clubfoot
maybe doesn't interfere with feeding, but it has its own worries. I can
see why some people would want to be prepared. But for ME, I think I

would
have stressed a lot more knowing beforehand, which would have only made

the
blood pressure worse (I was on bedrest for six weeks).

Very understandable.

I'm just saying I don't think everyone should have a late ultrasound

unless
that is what they want.

True, but I think it should at least be offered.

I'm also pointing out the fact that I DID have a
late ultrasound (30 wks), and it did NOT detect the defect.

I wonder if it's feet. Now that I think about it my mom has a neighbor
whose daughter was born without her little toe on one foot. Unless you're
looking for it, when you look at her feet, you don't even notice. But that
wasn't detected either.

Which could
have been a similar scenario for your friend and all the preparations and
etc wouldn't have been done anyway. I don't think late ultrasounds are

very
accurate anyway due to more cramped baby, but I could be wrong.

--
Joy

Rose 1-30-99
Iris 2-28-01
Spencer 3-12-03

I don't know how they'd miss the cleft palate. At my routine 22 week one
the tech specifically said #4's was formed fine.

Old May 7th 04, 06:55 PM
Joybelle

"Sophie" wrote in message

"Jill" wrote in message
m...

I wish they'd do a late ultrasound on me! I'd feel better seeing that
everything still looks good, especially since I have struggled to eat

and
had gross morning sickness a lot. But I admit, I just want to see a

detailed
u/s!

I personally think everyone should get a late ultrasound. That was the

only
way my friend knew that her son (her 3rd child) would be born with a cleft
lip and palate. That was at 31 weeks. Couldn't do anything about it but
I'd rather know beforehand than be surprised at the birth. JMO.

Old May 7th 04, 08:16 PM
Joybelle

"Sophie" wrote in message
Well not to play 'which is worse" but with a cleft lip and palate my

friend
had major feeding issues with her son (not to mention 2 other children and

deployed husband) and speech problems, etc....

In that case, I'd like to know to be prepared, get in touch with people

who
could help,etc...

I really, really think it is a "to each his own" kind of thing. Clubfoot
maybe doesn't interfere with feeding, but it has its own worries. I can
see why some people would want to be prepared. But for ME, I think I would
have stressed a lot more knowing beforehand, which would have only made the
blood pressure worse (I was on bedrest for six weeks).

I'm just saying I don't think everyone should have a late ultrasound unless
that is what they want. I'm also pointing out the fact that I DID have a
late ultrasound (30 wks), and it did NOT detect the defect. Which could

Old May 8th 04, 03:10 AM
Joybelle

"Sophie" wrote in message
I'm just saying I don't think everyone should have a late ultrasound

unless
that is what they want.

True, but I think it should at least be offered.

I am a little confused, I think. By late ultrasound, am I understanding
correctly, do you mean sometime in the 30-something weeks or are you
referring to the 18-21 weeks? Below you refer to your routine 22 week
ultrasound ruling out cleft palate. It seems to me that it is pretty
regular practice to offer ultrasounds at 18-20something weeks. If you do
mean around 30 weeks, I guess I don't see the necessity for it to be
offered. Any birth defects, would usually be screened, and more likely
caught, at the 18-20 week ultrasound rather than a later ultrasound. From
what I understand, the later the ultrasound is the harder it is to determine
birth defects because of the baby being more cramped.

I'm also pointing out the fact that I DID have a
late ultrasound (30 wks), and it did NOT detect the defect.

I wonder if it's feet. Now that I think about it my mom has a neighbor
whose daughter was born without her little toe on one foot. Unless you're
looking for it, when you look at her feet, you don't even notice. But

that
wasn't detected either.

I do think feet defects are probably harder to catch than some other birth
defects.

Old May 8th 04, 03:43 AM
Tori M.

I wonder if it's feet. Now that I think about it my mom has a neighbor
whose daughter was born without her little toe on one foot. Unless you're
looking for it, when you look at her feet, you don't even notice. But

that
wasn't detected either.

I know! even with all zillion ultrasounds I had they never noticed that my
daughter has 6 fingers on her lift hand... well she has part of a thumb
growing out of the side of her normal thumb.. it is the cutest thing...
looks like a heart when veiwed from the palm side.. I should take a picture
of it sometime... but that is a whole differant post.

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04