anterior placenta

Old May 7th 04, 12:31 AM
Mary S.

Default anterior placenta

I suspect my placenta is anterior -- is ultrasound the only way to
really know? I felt movement with this baby a couple weeks later than
with my first, and it's much less movement, almost muffled-feeling. The
midwife has always found the heartbeat on the side of my belly, rather
than the front. And Sproutkin's placenta was right and slightly anterior.

Ack, I don't want another posterior baby! So I've got lots of
hands-and-knees and pelvic rocks starting at 30 weeks, I've ordered the
book "Back Labor No More," and at least this time I know I can get
through really long nasty back labor.

Are there any issues with the baby getting wrapped up in the cord, if
you do rotate the baby anterior during or before labor? I'd like to
spend more time in the water this time, but I had to get out and spend a
long time in different positions last time, trying to get Sproutkin to
turn around (she was pretty stuck until she turned, and then WHOOSH!).
Is there anything I can do at this point (close to 20 weeks), or are
they just flipping around so much that it wouldn't do any good?

Barbara, Vernon was anterior placenta, wasn't he?

Mary S.
mom to the Sproutkin
and a new wee babysprout, due Oct. 1

Old May 7th 04, 04:00 AM
Mary S.

Don't have any info for you, Mary, just wanted to say hi and that I was
wondering where you've been and how you have been feeling!

Aww, thanks. I had a computer crash, so was offline for a little
while. I'm doing great! I'll post an update in my due date month
(which is now September, whoo-hoo!). And I want to hear all about how
you and your little family are doing. Tips for adjusting to two kids
sorely needed!

Mary S.

Old May 7th 04, 05:48 AM
Fer

Mary S. wrote:
|| I suspect my placenta is anterior -- is ultrasound the only way to
|| really know? I felt movement with this baby a couple weeks later
|| than with my first, and it's much less movement, almost
|| muffled-feeling. The midwife has always found the heartbeat on the
|| side of my belly, rather than the front. And Sproutkin's placenta
|| was right and slightly anterior.
|| Ack, I don't want another posterior baby! So I've got lots of
|| hands-and-knees and pelvic rocks starting at 30 weeks, I've ordered
|| the book "Back Labor No More," and at least this time I know I can
|| get through really long nasty back labor.
|| Are there any issues with the baby getting wrapped up in the cord, if
|| you do rotate the baby anterior during or before labor? I'd like to
|| spend more time in the water this time, but I had to get out and
|| spend a long time in different positions last time, trying to get
|| Sproutkin to turn around (she was pretty stuck until she turned, and
|| then WHOOSH!).
|| Is there anything I can do at this point (close to 20 weeks), or are
|| they just flipping around so much that it wouldn't do any good?
|| Barbara, Vernon was anterior placenta, wasn't he?
|| Mary S.
|| mom to the Sproutkin
|| and a new wee babysprout, due Oct. 1

From what I understand an anterior placenta doesn't guarantee a posterior
birth. Babes seem to perfer facing the placenta but like everything else it
is not an absolute. As for getting wrapped up in the cord I shouldn't think
it would be a problem. I had a u/s today (I have an anterior placenta this
time) and my babe was very comfortably facing my back not wrapped up in it's
cord.

HTH!
--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old May 7th 04, 11:51 AM
Cheryl

On Thu, 06 May 2004 19:31:05 -0400, "Mary S."
wrote:

[...]

Anecdotal data I know, but I've had two anterior placentas and no
posterior presentations. If you are doing all the "right" things you
give yourself a good chance of not having the same issues as with
Sproutkin, but of course no guarantees. I made a point of lying down
on my side if I couldn't sit leaning forward (which was more
comfortable for me anyway in late pregnancy) and I switched my
computer chair for an exercise ball in the third pregnancy. Your
movement and doppler history do sound more anterior than posterior but
really the only way to be sure is an ultrasound. On the plus side I
showed more in the pregnancy that had the placenta at the top of the
uterus than in the other two.

Oh, and more anecdotal data - with all three of my children they have
been head down and set in position from about 24 weeks onwards. They
_should_ be able to flip around after that but it appears that my
uterus is most comfortable when the baby is head down, the feet are in
my rib cage and the baby is lying slightly diagonally with the back
along one side of my belly. The two with anterior placentas lay with
their backs down my right side, the one with a posterior placenta lay
with his back down my left side.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old May 7th 04, 09:02 PM
Amy

My son's placenta was anterior, and his birth went without a hitch, not
posterior. This baby's placenta is anterior too, and I'm not unduly worried
about it. I think it's a pretty common position. My biggest concern is her
head being under my ribs :-P
At 20 weeks they move a lot, so I think you'd be wasting your time trying
anything specific with the hope of the baby staying a certain way. I'm 31
weeks and my girl has done several complete flips in the last few weeks. It
can't hurt though to improve posture, avoid chairs etc, just don't assume
the baby will stay a certain way.

Old May 8th 04, 02:33 AM
cara

Mary S. wrote:
I suspect my placenta is anterior -- is ultrasound the only way to
really know? I felt movement with this baby a couple weeks later than
with my first, and it's much less movement, almost muffled-feeling. The
midwife has always found the heartbeat on the side of my belly, rather
than the front.

Ultrasound at my 20 week check showed anterior placenta and I had no
complications during labor, and no real back labor that I know of since
I did get pain relief. Hopefully this one will turn for you.

cara