OT -- Scary Weekend...

Old January 29th 08, 01:36 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Default OT -- Scary Weekend...

That is my impression/memory, although you know how screwed up your memory
gets under stressful situations. It was like there was a flatline between
the T-wave and the next P-wave, right where the QRS should have happened.
And the timing of the T-wave and P-wave was normal, it was just skipping
over the QRS. Again, that's what I remember seeing, but I'm not trained.

We see the cardiologist on Friday for his follow up. I'll ask him if I can
have a copy of dh's EKG strip. Then I can scan it and send it to you if you
like. It could be a class discussion. : ) Maybe you can write a paper on
it and get some extra credit...LOL!
--

Jamie Clark

"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message
Jamie Clark wrote:
"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message

No, the whole QRS just wouldn't happen. If I remember correctly, he
would have a normal P-wave and a normal T-wave. He just wouldn't have
the QRS spike.

Wow that is odd. I don't think I've seen one yet with NO discernable QRS
complex. But, like I said, I'm not practiced at cardiology yet. Still
learning, since I'm still moving from Basic to Intermediate.

Michelle
Flutist

Old January 29th 08, 01:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Jamie Clark wrote:
Yikes! I hope you get it checked out!

I think I need to make a list of historical symptoms so when I get there
I have it ready. I keeled over on holiday with my parents when I was 16
and then hit my head on something on the way down and the doctor said it
was a reaction to ibuprofen - you mentioning your DH fainting 10 years
ago made me realise things like this might be significant, so thanks for
the heads up!

Cheers
Anne
Old January 29th 08, 02:52 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Glad to help out. Hopefully it's nothing, but yes, historical events do add
up. Let us know how it goes. You know we're here, thinking of you.
--

Jamie Clark

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 29th 08, 02:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Michelle J. Haines

Jamie Clark wrote:
That is my impression/memory, although you know how screwed up your memory
gets under stressful situations. It was like there was a flatline between
the T-wave and the next P-wave, right where the QRS should have happened.
And the timing of the T-wave and P-wave was normal, it was just skipping
over the QRS. Again, that's what I remember seeing, but I'm not trained.

Well, that's reversed, it's supposed to be relatively flat between T and
P, QRS comes between P and T (PQRST)

We see the cardiologist on Friday for his follow up. I'll ask him if I can
have a copy of dh's EKG strip. Then I can scan it and send it to you if you
like. It could be a class discussion. : ) Maybe you can write a paper on
it and get some extra credit...LOL!

Please! And a 12 lead if you have it?

Michelle
Flutist
Old January 29th 08, 02:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Mary W.

On Jan 28, 8:36 pm, "Jamie Clark" wrote:
That is my impression/memory, although you know how screwed up your memory
gets under stressful situations. It was like there was a flatline between
the T-wave and the next P-wave, right where the QRS should have happened.
And the timing of the T-wave and P-wave was normal, it was just skipping
over the QRS. Again, that's what I remember seeing, but I'm not trained.

It sounds like 2nd degree AV block (Mobitz II). As Michelle explained,
the
signal is starting OK in the atria and blocking somewhere probably
below
the AV node in the His system. So on the ECG you see a p wave but
no QRS or T wave (you can't have a T-wave without a QRS. The QRS is
the depolarization of the ventricles and the Twave is the
repolarization of
the ventricles, the P wave is the depolarization of the atria). So,
every
once in a while the impulse that is supposed to come from the atria
and through the AV node, purkinje system (including the bundle of His
and bundle branches) blocks. It's worse when they pressed on the
carotid, probably because that stimulates the vagus nerve which slows
conduction in the AV node/ bundle of his area.

You were probably seeing several p-waves without QRS or T waves.
Or possible the P wave and then the atrial repolarization (which is
usually not seen and is usually the opposite direction of the Pwave).

The normal sequence is P-wave, QRS, T-wave. The P-wave is the
beginning.
The T-wave is usually quite a bit bigger than the P-wave but the same
general shape.

Glad he got a pacemaker!

Mary W.
Old January 29th 08, 03:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Jamie Clark wrote:
That is my impression/memory, although you know how screwed up your
memory gets under stressful situations. It was like there was a flatline
between the T-wave and the next P-wave, right where the QRS should have
happened. And the timing of the T-wave and P-wave was normal, it was just
skipping over the QRS. Again, that's what I remember seeing, but I'm not
trained.

Well, that's reversed, it's supposed to be relatively flat between T and
P, QRS comes between P and T (PQRST)

Yes, what you said. : P

We see the cardiologist on Friday for his follow up. I'll ask him if I
can have a copy of dh's EKG strip. Then I can scan it and send it to you
if you like. It could be a class discussion. : ) Maybe you can write a
paper on it and get some extra credit...LOL!

Please! And a 12 lead if you have it?

Michelle
Flutist

I'll ask for copies of all his strips. He'll probably look at me funny, but
hey, he can't really refuse, can he?

I didn't put this in my original post, but when we met with the cardiologist
and he was pressing on the carotid artery to see if he could get it to skip
the beat, we were all looking at the screen (except Rob), and as it happened
I said, "Oh yeah, I can see it." It was really obvious looking, when the
pattern changed as it skipped a beat. The doctor looked at me and said,
"Oh, are you a doctor?" I said, "No, I'm just smart. I'm also a smart
ass." : ) So he'll probably just roll his eyes when I ask for a copy of
all the ekg reports/print outs. Including the 12 leads. Major eye
rolling...
--

Jamie Clark

Old January 29th 08, 06:42 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Michelle J. Haines

Jamie Clark wrote:

I'll ask for copies of all his strips. He'll probably look at me funny, but
hey, he can't really refuse, can he?

Hehe. You can tell him it's for this EMT-I student you know if you
want. Commence more eye-rolling.

Since we're all doing elementary cardiology today, this may help a few
people visualize this better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...m_of_the_heart

There are two animations, one slow enough to really see this, that show
the electrical system as it passes through the heart, and exactly how
this corresponds to EKG tracings. That's a pure, textbook set of
waves, of course. And none of us is a walking textbook. But it should
help.

Michelle
Flutist
Old January 29th 08, 04:46 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Okay, in looking at the animation -- his ekg showed the first small bump
(P-wave), then the big QRS spike, then flat line until the next regularly
scheduled (P-wave). Again, as best I can recall.

Old January 29th 08, 06:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
larissa

Hi Jamie

I have not read this group for ages but had to reply when I saw you
post.

What a whirlwind of emotions and events. It must be stressful all
round, especially to your DH. It will be something that takes a while
to adjust to I think and you are probably still all in shock.

Best wishes
Larissa

scary weekend toypup General 11 June 8th 05 04:31 PM
She did everything right-- Scary Post animzmirot General (moderated) 3 February 15th 05 09:16 PM
Scary weekend-now in hospital Donna Metler Pregnancy 12 October 29th 04 11:13 PM
This is too scary not to pass along Trisha B Child Support 22 September 16th 03 04:39 AM
scary then, funny now. middletree Twins & Triplets 11 September 9th 03 02:38 AM