18 Week Ultrasound Details..

Old December 17th 03, 02:03 AM
Jill

Default 18 Week Ultrasound Details..

So it took about an hour to prod the baby into spreading her legs, lol, but
the technician is 99% sure it is a girl. She says no u/s tech will ever
promise 100%, but she doesn't guess...she is sure before she tells you,
she'd rather send you home not knowing than give you a guess. So that's
that- I get to name her Rachel! yay!

It looked like everything is healthy, as much as can be seen on a sonogram
and this early.

The baby was wiggling a lot, but also looked like she was trying to nap! She
wiggled her hands and feet, but didn't move too much until the technician
began shaking my stomach..it still took a long time of that for her to flash
us for 2 seconds! lol.

Tech mentioned she is head down, so a vaginal ultrasound wouldn't have
helped us in gender determination. Is this common at 18 weeks, head down?
The tech acted like it was no big deal, just how the baby happened to be
today....

Also, the baby weighs approximately 9 ounces! Is THIS on par for halfway
through a pregnancy??? Sooo tiny!

And I am glad my feeling turned out right- it is a girl! I would love
anything. I am glad she appears to be healthy. I just think it's pretty neat
that my gut feeling was dead-on.

One more funny thing-- we got a perfect view of her foot, sticking up right
at us. Lol- from the bottom. You could see her toes and the shape of her
foot. My husband said "Gosh, we are going to need to buy some skis for those
big feet!" I couldnt help but laugh.....it was a very distinctive foot.

Everything looks ok, the tech promised she would tell us if anything sent a
warning flag or didn't look right. The organs, head, and evertything looked
ok. So tiny though, 9 ounces! All this stomach now for 9 ounces??? Lol!

Jill

Old December 17th 03, 02:44 AM
Jill

"Jill" wrote

Also, the baby weighs approximately 9 ounces! Is THIS on par for halfway
through a pregnancy??? Sooo tiny!

Not to follow up my own post, but I checked one pregnancy website,
babycenter.com, and for 18 weeks on the development chart it said "your baby
is almost 7 ounces!" So I guess 9 ounces is more on the larger side?? Or
about average. You learn something every day.

I am still wary that big babies run in my husband's family. I told someone I
thought it tended more toward the mom-to-be's mother's side, but they told
me of a couple of the women married to my husband's side of the family had
mothers who had small babies. This is going to be in the back of my mind!

Old December 17th 03, 04:48 AM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Jill wrote:

The baby was wiggling a lot, but also looked like she was trying to nap! She
wiggled her hands and feet, but didn't move too much until the technician
began shaking my stomach..it still took a long time of that for her to flash
us for 2 seconds! lol.

They had to do that with my little bub, too. He was all cuddled up
wanting to sleep so they had to prod his butt to get him to move more
than his arms and legs. That sure got his attention! LOL!

Tech mentioned she is head down, so a vaginal ultrasound wouldn't have
helped us in gender determination. Is this common at 18 weeks, head down?

It's fine. Baby will be however she is comfy.

Also, the baby weighs approximately 9 ounces! Is THIS on par for halfway
through a pregnancy??? Sooo tiny!

Sure.... my bub weighed in at 1 lb 1 oz at 21 weeks .. that's 17 oz!!!
she said it was great.

Old December 17th 03, 06:20 AM
Coccinella

Jill,
That's such wonderful news. When I had my u/s at 20 ww the technician said
the same thing, that 99% it was a girl (They have to say 99% for legal
reasons). Anyway my girl wasn't shy and even DH and I could see that she was
a girl!
Rachel is a wonderful name. it's so nice you have already a name. We are
still choosing!
BTW when is your EDD? I didn't see your name in Brigitte's list.
Congratulations for your wonderful, healthy baby girl.
Love

--
Nicky

EDD March 26, '04. It's a girl!

Old December 17th 03, 06:30 AM
Jill

"Coccinella" wrote Anyway my girl wasn't shy and
even DH and I could see that she was
a girl!
Rachel is a wonderful name. it's so nice you have already a name. We are
still choosing!
BTW when is your EDD? I didn't see your name in Brigitte's list.

My EDD is May 18. LOL about your girl not being shy-- we can't figure out
how in the world the u/s tech could see mine is a girl. She gave us a
picture of the screen she used to determine it. She pointed out "the three
places"-- we still don't see it! Actually as for "places", I think it's the
labia. as far as I am concerned, I can't see it- I'll take her word for it!
She assured us that if it was a boy, it would be obvious.

I didn't see a lot on the u/s that I could tell what it was except for the
profile...I swear I saw the face and think it resembles my husband's facial
features. I saw the foot plain as day from the bottom, which was hilarious,
like a footprint. I could see the heart beating. When the u/s tech pointed
it out I could see the heart's 4 chambers..but basically, didn't see
anything at all that could determine the sex. The u/s tech kept insisting
that a boy would be un mistakable- but then she said she does this all day
every day, so take that for what it's worth, it's evident to her but
wouldn't be to us. lol.

Anyway I am due May 18...and kind of hoping time flies! (Then I want time to
stop!)

Old December 17th 03, 02:45 PM
Carol Ann

:: So it took about an hour to prod the baby into spreading her legs, lol,
but
:: the technician is 99% sure it is a girl. She says no u/s tech will ever
:: promise 100%, but she doesn't guess...she is sure before she tells you,
:: she'd rather send you home not knowing than give you a guess. So that's
:: that- I get to name her Rachel! yay!

Wahoo! Rachel is the original name I had selected! Unfortunately, my
mother says, "Laycher" so that's out. Congratulations!!! Yippee!!

:: It looked like everything is healthy, as much as can be seen on a
sonogram
:: and this early.
::
:: The baby was wiggling a lot, but also looked like she was trying to nap!
She
:: wiggled her hands and feet, but didn't move too much until the technician
:: began shaking my stomach..it still took a long time of that for her to
flash
:: us for 2 seconds! lol.

Isn't that an awesome site? I hope this experience alleviates some of your
fears! Wahoo! I'm just so happy for you!

:: Tech mentioned she is head down, so a vaginal ultrasound wouldn't have
:: helped us in gender determination. Is this common at 18 weeks, head down?
:: The tech acted like it was no big deal, just how the baby happened to be
:: today....

My girl's head was down, too. Then up, then down, then up, then down...
LOL!

:: Also, the baby weighs approximately 9 ounces! Is THIS on par for halfway
:: through a pregnancy??? Sooo tiny!
::
:: And I am glad my feeling turned out right- it is a girl! I would love
:: anything. I am glad she appears to be healthy. I just think it's pretty
neat
:: that my gut feeling was dead-on.
::
:: One more funny thing-- we got a perfect view of her foot, sticking up
right
:: at us. Lol- from the bottom. You could see her toes and the shape of her
:: foot. My husband said "Gosh, we are going to need to buy some skis for
those
:: big feet!" I couldnt help but laugh.....it was a very distinctive foot.

I felt the same way about my girl's feet! HUGE! Could just be how they
look now.

:: Everything looks ok, the tech promised she would tell us if anything sent
:: warning flag or didn't look right. The organs, head, and evertything
looked
:: ok. So tiny though, 9 ounces! All this stomach now for 9 ounces??? Lol!
::
:: Jill

So, did you get pictures? Video?

~Carol Ann

Old December 17th 03, 02:48 PM
Carol Ann

[...]
:: stop!)

The ultrasound tech showed us what she called the "hamburger". I assume a
boy would have a "hotdog". LOL! We actually caught it on the video.

~Carol Ann

Old December 17th 03, 03:40 PM
Jill

"Carol Ann" wrote

The ultrasound tech showed us what she called the "hamburger". I assume a
boy would have a "hotdog". LOL! We actually caught it on the video.

I forgot about that- that is exactly what she called it, lol. Hamburger.

It was sort of distracting because I let my mom go so she will stop crying
on the phone, and the whole time she was in there, the tech would say "There
is the foot" and highlight the area, and my mom would say "Oh look I see the
head!". The tech would say "No, we are looking from the bottom up, all you
can see is the foot." My mom would say "Oh. Where's the head?" So the tech
would stop what she was doing and maneuver back around to the head. We were
there an hour and I know the tech was trying hard to find the gender so we
could go home......it was the end of the day. The office was closing down.
We had seen all of this stuff over and over again and she gave us pictures.
When we finally saw the gender, the tech began closing down and my mom
screeched "Wait! I didn't get to see the head!!" (The tech had showed us the
head very patiently about 41 times, each time highlighting it and explaining
it)- I could tell this kind of addled the tech- we were there too long. I
said "Mom you saw the head, 41 times." "Well, I didn't know she was going to
stop now!" Sigh..................my mom was in top form. She went to Target
with us, I wanted to buy a couple of outfits finally!! And she was the same
there. My husband picked out a cute little outfit he liked and we had it in
my cart, it was just a little onsie we picked out because it had wreckers
and cars on it (my FIL drives a wrecker), and we both thought it was
adorable. It was for 0-3 months, 7-11 lbs. My mom said "You don't want to
get THAT. IT won't fit, that's for big babies and it doesn't look like
something a girl would wear." I said, "Yes we do, it's cute. and there is a
reason david wants it". My mom took it out of the cart and put it back on
the rack, scowling. I am not kidding. I reached back, put it back in, and
walked off. We are talking about $5 outfits here. We also picked out an
adorable denim overall set for 0-3 months as well. My mom told me to put
that back too, that NOBODY dresses a newborn up like that and that is for
older babies. I said "How is 0 months, older????" She said "Well, I have
never seen anyone buyt that for a newborn." and then she did it one more
time. My baby is due in May, and she told me that another pack of onsies I
bought would not be wearable by the baby because it will be winter.
May??????? At this point I told my husband we need to just stop shopping. We
can do it later.

Argh, why is my mom so purposely annoying? You don't just take something out
of someone's cart. She was getting mad because we didn't like anything she
was trying to make us get. We have registered for items such as bathtubs
etc, and she does not want us to get what is on our registry, she wants us
to get what she wants "because THIS is good enough". She is wanting to buy
different stuff from our registry and leave our registry unmarked etc. Also,
she keeps telling me NOT to register for items that will "not be used", such
as bouncey seats...I know good and well, a bouncey seat will be usable! And
one more thing she's doing all in the same hour that is driving me
nuts.....she picked up this really ugly stuffed animal that recites the
Lord's prayer when you squeeze it. I am not against the Lord's prayer or
psalms, but this was one UGly brown animal. She asked me to get that instead
of a winnie the pooh, and I said "Ew..no. I don't like that" and she said
"What is wrong with you?? The Lord wants her to have this and all you want
to do is get her what you want!" (My mom doesn't go to church! And has never
been pious etc etc.) I said "Right now, the Lord wants me to go home and
stop shopping!"

Oh MY.........WHAT is wrong with my mom. That's not a question.

Old December 17th 03, 06:03 PM
Fer

That's awesome Jill! Congrats on the long u/s and the wee girl :-) Sorry
your mom was being a pain shopping though!

--

Jenn
-WAHM
.com...

Old December 17th 03, 07:11 PM
Christine

we got a perfect view of her foot, sticking
up right at us. Lol- from the bottom.

LOL.....too funny....;-)
so did we, I said the same thing, that her feet look
huge....lol......she got a pic of it!