Problem bottle feeding one of the twins

Old September 29th 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
NL

Default Problem bottle feeding one of the twins

betsy schrieb:
On Sep 29, 8:29 am, NL wrote:
when she's laying on her back her head's not turned to the side all the
time anymore. She's still no good at nursing on the right breast though
:-/ I think let down is too fast for her there, she latches on fine but
pulls away frequently.

When mine were newborns, they preferred my less productive side. As
they got bigger and more able to handle the more forceful letdown,
they switched to liking the more productive side better.

Sara is 4 weeks today, but she's wearing 2-4month size clothing! She
spits up a fair bit (Sam never spit up except if he had a crappy day)
and I put her into one of Sams outfits, which fit him well when he was
about 6-8 weeks old. I swear, if she'd stretch out all the way she'd
make the buttons fly off.
So to me she's not exactly a newborn ;-) She's _huge_! *lol* It's so
strange, she's asleep in my bed with Sam right now and I look at her and
think "There's no way you could have ever fit into my belly. You're so
big already!" the pair of pants I had with me for taking her home from
hospital were practically capri-pants on her! I knit her a really warm
sweater, which is nearly too small already, she's worn it once so far...

But yes, she's definitely still a newborn nursing wise, though I noticed
when I nursed her "to sleep" (overtired, screaming, fussing, no-fun
baby, we need to take our walk earlier tomorrow..) she nursed fine on my
right side, apparently let down isn't such a big problem when we're
laying down so I'm on my right side. I have no clue why though..
Whatever, as long as it works ;-)

To the OP:
So yeah, try different nursing positions! My midwife told us about a
mother of twins who nursed both, she had them in bed with her, one on
the foot end one on the head end and she'd "flip over" whenever one was
crying. It worked fine for her.
I know it doesn't "cut down on time" because you'd be nursing one at a
time, but if you can do it without really waking up it doesn't really
matter, right? And for the day time, relax, it's not a race. Yes, we've
all got chores and things to do and we don't like to sit there nursing
24/7 either, but this time will pass, and it will do so quickly even
though it doesn't seem like it today.
I thought I'd be sitting there nursing my now 7 year old until I'm old
and gray and I'd have sipderwebs all over me because when he was really
little he'd nurse 30 min on the left, 30 min on the right, 30 on the
left again and then sleep for 30 minutes, but _only in my arms and I was
not allowed to move_ or he'd wake up and scream... It passed. I'm not
nursing him 24/7 anymore and I don't have gray hair (just don't look too
closely, those few in the back don't count! No, I don't want you to
count them for me either!) well, at least there's no cobwebs!

Is there any way you can help your wife out in a different way, like
having someone come in once a week and clean the house? Can you take
care of the laundry in the evenings? What about your/her parents, can
they maybe cook and freeze some food for you so she doesn't have to cook
every night and you're not living on take out either?

cu
nicole
Old September 30th 07, 02:46 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
xkatx

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

We have twins who are 3 months old (1.5 months corrected) that my wife
is currently breastfeeding. Occasionally I bottlefeed one of them to
give her a break but our problem is with the other one (Hannah) who
has problems with the bottle.

Hannah will start to take the bottle fine but after several minutes
she will try and spit the nipple out, start crying, arching,
stretching and looks to be in a lot of pain. If I try and continue,
it's as if she can no longer get a good latch on the bottle nipple.
If I do get it above her tongue she will try to suck but quickly
fights it off or sucks but it most seems to spray out of the side her
mouth or leak out.

We've tried all manner of nipples (using different brands, flows,
shapes and textures) but can't find anything that works. She
definitely has reflux and is on Previcid for it. Putting her on it
has allowed my wife to nurse her where before she would not even nurse
very well. Nursing still isn't perfect with her as she sometimes will
take very little but she must make up for it at other times as she's
gaining good weight consistently.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't read the massive replies already given, so I don't know if this
has been suggested, but try vanilla extract. It kind of worked for DD2, who
still, to this day, outright refuses bottles. She has had the odd bottle of
EBM only. Never had even a tiny drop of formula, and with EBM in a bottle,
she would still refuse it.

A friend suggested trying vanilla extract. I thought she was on glue or
worse. She said that she had the same bottle issue with one of her boys as
I had with DD2. Her story was the same as mine - every type of bottle and
nipple and then some and nothing worked, and, eventually, she just gave up
on trying to force a bottle for a rare occasion, just as I had. Then she
heard to try vanilla extract.

The best bottles for this to use are ones that are wider. Something like a
Playtex nurser or similar with a very wide opening and nipple. Put a bit of
vanilla extract on your finger or Q-tip and just wipe a bit of the extract
around that ring part that the nipple goes in then screws on to the bottle.
Just put it around there where it can be smelled but not eaten or tasted.
Friend told me that she heard somewhere that to a nursling, their mother's
milk has a slight vanilla scent to it.

After this suggestion, I really did think she was sniffing the glue and had
gone insane, but I tried it out anyways. Oddly enough, this way and with
one of the bottles and nipples I had previously tried, DD2 took the bottle.
She took it very reluctantly, but there was none of the screaming, crying,
back arching, freaking out, spitting the nipple out. DD2 clearly did NOT
like the bottle with the vanilla around it, but she did take it and she took
it just fine (although didn't seem to stop letting us all know she wasn't
all too impressed!)

I was able to leave her with a bottle on an occasion or two - I had planned
to begin going back to my once a month meetings that required 'Daddy Time'
for the kids, and I was able to go back to that when DD2 was about 4 months
old and we figured the vanilla trick.

No idea if that will work for you, but it definitely worked for us over here
and also for a friend who suggested it and tried it on an occasion.

The friend also used EBM in a bottle as well, not formula, and you didn't
mention if it's formula or breast milk in the bottle, so if it is formula,
the baby just might not like the taste of it and fight it and in this case,
I don't think that the vanilla trick would work at all. It might, though,
if it's breast milk in the bottle. Who knows? It might be worth a shot!

Old December 1st 07, 05:09 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets
dejablues[_2_]

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 23:09 -0600, Nikki wrote:

Argh! Fix your computer clock. You're posting from random dates in the
future!

self latch and hold my wife literally needs an extra hand to
do it.

I have twins that I am nursing. I promise that it will get a lot easier
when they get just a little older and are better able to stay latched on.
She should continue to work with tandeming them and it will happen. They
are very close to being good at it. Does she have a twins nursing pillow?
I used the EZ-2-Nurse twins nursing pillow and it was a life savor. It made
tandeming possible. We found that it was much easier for me to nurse them
at the same time then it was for dh to bottle them at the same time. He had
to bottle them individually for a long time.

I'm wishing you the best of luck!!

Old January 27th 08, 04:22 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Nikki

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

We have twins who are 3 months old (1.5 months corrected) that my wife
is currently breastfeeding. Occasionally I bottlefeed one of them to
give her a break but our problem is with the other one (Hannah) who
has problems with the bottle.

Hannah will start to take the bottle fine but after several minutes
she will try and spit the nipple out, start crying, arching,
stretching and looks to be in a lot of pain.

How many ounces is she taking? She just sounds full to me. Be sure she
burps frequently.

Is this one bottle a day or more? If it is just one bottle a day or less I
wouldn't worry about how much she takes. She is gaining fine so is getting
plenty with the nursing. Even if that one bottle feed is small, she'll make
up for it at the breast.

If this is multiple bottles a day then I'd consult the ped. I don't know a
thing about reflux but if she is sucking for several minutes before she
starts fussing it makes me think that she is either full or miserable. IME
nipple preference issues caused problems at the very beginning of a feed,
not several minutes later.

Congratulations to you and your wife. Assure her that it will get easier!
You can help out in many ways besides giving a bottle. I found it extremely
helpful for someone to take the babies right before and after a feed - to
change and comfort them. We did do bottles too. I needed to top off a
bit in the beginning and then we kept up the one bottle a day to keep them
in practice for when I returned to work. The bottles were a pain IMO, and
other kinds of help benefited me more. Everyone is different though! Hang
in there - it is going to get really fun really soon when their
personalities and interactions begin

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old January 29th 08, 06:09 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Nikki

wrote in message
oups.com...

She had taken the bottle perfectly
earlier on but maybe now it is just a preference to the breast. I
don't think we're trying to overfeed her because she starts fighting
the bottle sometimes after only taking 1 oz.

Babies, especially primarily breastfed ones, will take varying amounts from
the bottle because they are used to getting varying amounts at the breast.
If the baby is showing a preference then she may always take just enough to
get by on from the bottle. Don't worry about it. She'll make up the
difference at the breast. Especially if you are talking about just one or
two bottles a day. This situation has been true for all of my babies and
it was never a problem for us. I will say that I never gave my babies a
bottle. I usually tried to leave the area. It is hard to imagine right
now, in the thick of things, but really - nursing directly will be easier
for your wife then nursing, pumping, fiddling with bottles etc.

I'm going back to work soon and my wife was hoping that she might
exclusively pump and bottle both girls with the breastmilk rather then
nurse them one at a time as it would be far quicker. Unfortunately,
Hannah doesn't take to the tandem nursing very well either and until
they can self latch and hold my wife literally needs an extra hand to

Old January 29th 08, 02:15 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets,misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids
Nikki

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
. ..

I'd just like to say, as someone who EPd a preemie who couldn't nurse and
pumped until age 2, EPing is not as bad as people make it sound. You do
eventually get into a rhythm of it. If you can combo pump and BF, it
should be even more doable.

Breastfeeding until two is rare and to pump until two is exceptional. You
did such a great job and have a lot of commitment!

I think the biggest obstacle is the unknown factor of how well someone is
going to respond to the pump. Not everyone does long term and you don't
really know that until the baby is older. It is a very real risk that a
baby would need more then a person could pump.

I detest pumping though and so I'm biased I also experienced pump
resistance the last two times.
--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Problem bottle feeding one of the twins [email protected] General 24 September 30th 07 02:46 AM
Problem bottle feeding one of the twins [email protected] Breastfeeding 24 September 30th 07 02:46 AM
Breast or bottle feeding vee Breastfeeding 0 June 12th 07 03:05 AM
Bottle feeding Di Gamaroff Pregnancy 5 August 13th 04 05:23 AM
bottle feeding nightmare!! Jinge Pregnancy 8 May 10th 04 08:18 PM