How much non-human milk, if any?

Old August 8th 07, 04:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default How much non-human milk, if any?

DD is 13 months and I'd like to wean off the pump in the daytime - am
having a hard time finding the time to pump, and she's not taking much
anyway. She's still otherwise nursed on demand (evenings and weekends)
which is a lot....I've given up trying to wean completely for now.

She's had goat milk, cow milk and soy milk - not thrilled with any,
although she'll have sips. Her diet is actually really good and the
nutrionist praised me for it saying she couldn't have come up with a
better diet herself (that said, proud as I am I've never been totally
thrilled with her as she's always seemed incredulous I'm still BF). I
mentioned she had non-human milk but didn't ask about quantities. She
has a sippy of water with her all day to make sure she gets fluids
(although I think she's not taking as much as i'd like), but how much
milk should she get? Her brief 2nd bout of constipation ended, and I
do think it was the fluids - extra sweat plus teeething = not liking
the cup = less fluid intake. So I push it a bit.

And what do I do if I can wean her off the EBM in the day? Substitute
the same amount of EBM she'd usually have with cow milk? I think she's
catching on to that trick as she's starting to refuse the bottle more
and will only take water in her sippy, nothing else. She's no huge fan
of the bottle anyway, never has been. Lately she's only been taking in
3-6oz of EBM during the day (if I pick her up kind of late she'll
finish the second bottle, but often it's more like 3-4 ozs if that
much).

Old August 8th 07, 07:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I believe they recommend 16oz of milk a day. Subtract a guesstimate of how
much she may be getting from nursing and that is how much other milk you
might offer. Cheese and yogurt can also be counted towards that if she
doesn't really like other milk so well.

My boys hardly drink any milk. Brock likes it better then Ben. IIME they
start out drinking the other milk very slowly but ramp it up in 4-5mos or
so. I figure mine get about 8oz a day from nursing. They may drink 3 ounces
of cows milk. I try to make them a smoothie every day or at least give them
a yogurt. If I make hot cereal I make it with milk. Things like that.

I totally think you can stop pumping during the day now with out any
concerns. I got rid of the bottles at 12 months when I stopped EBM and/or
formula. We didn't really do any big weaning procedure - just stopped
giving them. That went fine.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old August 9th 07, 12:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
JJ

I actually asked our ped the other day about this since I needed to
wean DS. He's almost 13 months and DD is 3, we have a chance to go on
vacation as a couple for a week with my mom watching both. Also, I've
been having migraine trouble and need to take some meds that are iffy
with nursing. Trouble is DS is terribly allergic to cow's milk, and
also to soy, nuts. egg, and wheat. That said, he has an excellent
diet, and is quite the little butterball. He really loves his rice
milk, juice and water. The pediatrician said as long as he 12 oz or
more of enriched rice milk a day he'd be OK for calcium, and he gets
lots of protein from all the meats. I also try to add a bit of olive
oil, avocado, in addition to generous portions of meat and beans to
get him plentry of protein. Our house is cow- milk free now. I'd
tried to have dairy just at the table, butone day DD took a swig of
milk, apparently did not swallow it, and ran into the other room,
where unbeknowst to me, she spit it into his clean and ready
nebulizer. So my highly milk allergic one year old got a milk
breathing treatment and turned blue and wheezy, rquiring an epi pen
and ER trip. She hates rice milk, so gets fortified OJ, a Tums daily
and daily trips through the starbucks drive-through where she
politel'y requests "cow-milk please"

Good luck.
JJ

Old August 11th 07, 08:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Sarah Vaughan

cjra wrote:

She
has a sippy of water with her all day to make sure she gets fluids
(although I think she's not taking as much as i'd like), but how much
milk should she get?

It's not the quantity of any specific food that matters in a diet, but
the quantity of the different nutrients. (Recommended quantities of
food are just intended to make it easier - after all, working out how
much of different nutrients you're getting from different foods can be a
pain, so if you're happy to eat anything it makes sense just to be told
"X amount of this, Y amount of that".) If your daughter drinks milk,
fine. If she doesn't drink much milk, you need to figure out
alternative ways of getting protein and calcium into her.

Protein is easy enough - it's in meat, cheese, fish, and eggs, and she
can also obtain enough from vegetables if you know how to combine them
properly to produce the right mix of amino acids (no need to learn this
if she is eating a reasonable amount of any of the other things I
mention, as they all have complete protein in them). Calcium will be in
cheese. I think it's also in sunflower seeds & some enriched forms of
orange juice, but don't know a lot about this, so your best bet if she
won't eat cheese is to google for alternative sources of dietary
calcium. I know there are webpages advising people with milk
intolerance. (I'm fairly sure there's something on Kellymom about it.)

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old August 12th 07, 04:56 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Aug 11, 2:23 pm, Sarah Vaughan wrote:
cjra wrote:
She
has a sippy of water with her all day to make sure she gets fluids
(although I think she's not taking as much as i'd like), but how much
milk should she get?

It's not the quantity of any specific food that matters in a diet, but
the quantity of the different nutrients. (Recommended quantities of
food are just intended to make it easier - after all, working out how
much of different nutrients you're getting from different foods can be a
pain, so if you're happy to eat anything it makes sense just to be told
"X amount of this, Y amount of that".) If your daughter drinks milk,
fine. If she doesn't drink much milk, you need to figure out
alternative ways of getting protein and calcium into her.

Ok. Someone had said 24 oz/day and that seemed excessive. She barely
took that (as much as I could determine) when she was EBF.

Protein is easy enough - it's in meat, cheese, fish, and eggs, and she
can also obtain enough from vegetables if you know how to combine them
properly to produce the right mix of amino acids (no need to learn this
if she is eating a reasonable amount of any of the other things I
mention, as they all have complete protein in them). Calcium will be in
cheese. I think it's also in sunflower seeds & some enriched forms of
orange juice, but don't know a lot about this, so your best bet if she
won't eat cheese is to google for alternative sources of dietary
calcium. I know there are webpages advising people with milk
intolerance. (I'm fairly sure there's something on Kellymom about it.)

I think she's getting a fair amount of calcium in her diet - the
greens (spinach, collards, turnip greens, kale, mustard greens)
feature prominently in her diet and are high in calcium. She also eats
a lot of yoghurt but only some cheese, so that shouldn't be a huge
issue. I'll make sure she's still taking a fair amount of these
calcium sources.

I have to pay a little bit more attention on the protein - she doesn't
have meat, except fish. And she won't eat eggs yet. So I try to make
sure she has other sources like legumes, tofu, etc.

Old August 12th 07, 04:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Aug 8, 1:45 am, "Nikki" wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

That's kind of happening anyway since it's been getting harder and
harder to find time to pump. Only problem now is if I don't nurse her
by about 6pm, I'm in pain...

Old August 23rd 07, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

If your baby is still nursing a fair amount on evenings and weekends,
then the only thing you really need to worry about during the day is
fluids. In that case, drinking water is fine, and a good habit for a
baby to get into.

If your baby isn't nursing a lot when you're around, then you need to
make sure she's eating a well-balanced diet. NOT every day, but over
the course of 3-5 days. This should include a variety of fruits and
veggies, milk products such as cheese or yogurt (but not too much of
those, as they can also be constipating), meats or fish or chicken or
other protein sources (but not nuts yet, to be on the safe side), and
grains (whole grains preferred). And of course, water!

By the age of 12 months breastmilk/formula is no longer essential for
survival, although it has sufficient benefits that it's worthwhile to
continue nursing evenings/weekends for a few years longer. (Boosts
baby's immune system, invaluable if baby has a stomach virus or high
fever, and preventative of breast cancer for mom, among other reasons.)
On the other hand, at no time is non-human milk essential for survival,
the food pyramid notwithstanding. Convenient, yes, but not essential.

My web site can give you some other ideas about foods you can offer in
lieu of milk if you're so inclined.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Almost human Jenrose Pregnancy 1 December 11th 04 04:12 AM
Human evolution JJ Child Support 0 October 1st 04 06:00 AM
Human Pacifier T Flynn Breastfeeding 5 March 11th 04 11:15 PM
Human milk from cows ? Mushtywoof Breastfeeding 1 October 19th 03 04:19 AM
Human Milk Banks Corinne Breastfeeding 5 September 3rd 03 12:08 AM