Birthday parties

Old May 7th 08, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

Default Birthday parties

On 7 May 2008 07:15:14 -0700, Banty wrote:

In article , Nan says...

(sheepish grin)

Okay, the thread about pinatas got me thinking.

My 8 year old has yet to have a "real" birthday party. Her bday is
Feb. 14 so we've always just had the 4 of us do cake and presents
since there is no extended family around.

She's been wanting a party so I decided to have one perhaps just after
school is out, the last day will be May 29.

She and I want to have a party here at our house so I can keep it
outdoors.

Food would probably be hot dogs on the grill.... classic birthday
party type food.

Anyway, the push to use a venue for parties has taken away from the
birthday parties I remember going to. You know.... the ones where the
really fun games were played.

I have a few ideas for games like Pin the Tail and a balloon race
(where the kids run to sit on a balloon and pop it). I'm asking you
thoughtful folks for some ideas on games. Simple games are best, imo.

I don't want to over-script a party. I envision having the games to
play but if they all want to just play among themselves, I'll go with
whatever.

So.... what games did you play at parties as kids, and most
importantly, did you like or dislike them?

I loved the pin the tail and the balloon race. I didn't like anything where I
had to be physical with another kid (like those three-legged races). Sports is
also common and IMO a bad idea. I cant offhand think of an option to suggest
(why I dont give the parties LOL) but I do want to say you're thinking in the
right direction.

Banty

I agree on the whole sports type games. I'd like to level the playing
field (so to speak) so the whole physical-fitness sports skill level
doesn't come into the picture.

Nan

Old May 8th 08, 11:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Nan wrote:
[...]

They could run the race holding the balloon between their knees, as well.

I don't want to over-script a party. I envision having the games to
play but if they all want to just play among themselves, I'll go with
whatever.

So.... what games did you play at parties as kids, and most
importantly, did you like or dislike them?

I liked treasure hunts, the memory tray and "statues". In case that's called
something else where you live, the children dance or run around to music
then when the music is stopped they have to freeze in whatever position they
are in. The first person to wobble goes out, and so on. I can't stand Pass
the Parcel but kids around here all seem to love that one, especially if
there is a toy or sweet in each layer and not just one in the centre.

Another game I loved as a child, but may have been 9 or 10 at that point,
was where everyone was given a pencil a paper with the birthday child's full
name printed at the top. The game is to make up as many words as possible
from only those letters. That one works best if the age/ability range of the
children isn't too wide.

Another good one along the lines of the memory tray is the "blindfold and
guess what it is by touch" tray or bag. Little boys like icky-themed ones
with items such as peeled grape eye-balls, tomato sauce blood and
cookie-dough dog poop but you can do fairy themes or sports or whatever you
tihnk they'll be interested in. Some games are better with fewer than ten
guests because, for example, parental imagination may have run out after
each child has had a turn at guessing two items.

Old May 9th 08, 07:12 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:22:51 GMT, Nan wrote:

I have a few ideas for games like Pin the Tail and a balloon race
(where the kids run to sit on a balloon and pop it). I'm asking you
thoughtful folks for some ideas on games. Simple games are best, imo.

I liked scavenger hunts at that age. If you have a theme, you can
relate it to the party theme.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old May 13th 08, 02:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Nan

On Wed, 07 May 2008 12:22:51 GMT, Nan wrote:

(sheepish grin)

I just wanted to thank everyone for your input in this thread. I've
gotten some really great ideas!

Thanks!

Nan

Neighbor kids birthday parties MomHoops General 27 March 15th 06 02:32 AM
birthing parties mag Pregnancy 1 February 13th 06 04:56 PM
Birthday parties Cindy Senger Twins & Triplets 2 February 22nd 05 08:11 PM
Birthday Parties and Gifts Usenet Fan General 21 June 22nd 04 02:09 AM
three year old birthday parties Jeff General 3 September 3rd 03 08:35 PM