Things that make you say hmmmm...

Old March 14th 04, 02:39 PM
Naomi Pardue

Default Things that make you say hmmmm...

The potty training thread over on mkm reminded me of this.

The other day I was trying to get one of our preschool kids (2 1/2, been
training for a couple of months, has the occassional good day, but mostly
accidents still) to sit on the potty. She had reluctantly come into the
bathroom with me, and had 'sat' for about a second, before jumping up again. So
I'm coaxing her.

"Come on, Goose Girl. Won't you sit for a just a minute and try? You don't
want to get those pretty new Nemo panties all wet, do you?"

And then realized the absurdity of what I was saying. Is it just me, or is
there something inherantly bizarre about putting pictures of FISH on panties
for small children? I half expected her to pipe up with "But Naomi, Nemo LIKES
being wet. He's a fish!" (But she isn't that verbal yet, at least not in
English.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old March 15th 04, 03:15 AM
Leah Adezio

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
The potty training thread over on mkm reminded me of this.

The other day I was trying to get one of our preschool kids (2 1/2, been
training for a couple of months, has the occassional good day, but mostly
accidents still) to sit on the potty. She had reluctantly come into the
bathroom with me, and had 'sat' for about a second, before jumping up

again. So
I'm coaxing her.

"Come on, Goose Girl. Won't you sit for a just a minute and try? You

don't
want to get those pretty new Nemo panties all wet, do you?"

Before I got to your next paragraph, my first thought was 'Sure! He's a
fishie, Mommy!' :-)

And then realized the absurdity of what I was saying. Is it just me, or

is
there something inherantly bizarre about putting pictures of FISH on

panties
for small children? I half expected her to pipe up with "But Naomi, Nemo

LIKES
being wet. He's a fish!" (But she isn't that verbal yet, at least not in
English.)

Don't feel bad -- when OS was training, he wanted Aquaman briefs, which
aren't made (not then nor now)...and nothing else would do, so I got cotton
training pants and hand painted them....and had the same absurd thought at
the time....'C'mon, sweetie...use the potty or Aquaman will get wet.'
(Well, d'oh! g)

I was so glad that by the time he was trained and ready for briefs, he was
into Power Rangers...which were the rage at the time. I was *not* going to
hand paint more briefs.

Leah

Old March 15th 04, 10:14 PM
iphigenia

Naomi Pardue wrote:
I half expected her to pipe up
with "But Naomi, Nemo LIKES being wet. He's a fish!" (But she isn't
that verbal yet, at least not in English.)

Hm, maybe I'll make/buy some training pants with cats on them, on the off
chance that DS *ever* decides to be interested in potty-training. "Don't get
the cat wet! Cats hate that!"

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net