It's official (m/c ment)...

Old August 13th 04, 02:49 AM
Circe

Default It's official (m/c ment)...

Amy wrote:
*Raises her hand*
Glad I'm not pg anymore, that might have put me into labour.

Me four (or five or six or whatever I am)!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Vote for Bush & You Get Dick!"

Old August 13th 04, 04:18 AM
Amy

I find it interesting that it's only considered comparable. Not to diminish
the effects of witnessing an accident (when I went back and re-read it) but
you are only *witnessing* it. The trauma of losing one's child, is a deeply
personal tragic event, affecting not only you but often your family and
friends.
It's more comparable at the least, to being the driver in a fatal collision.

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
In message , Ilse Witch
writes
Studies on the psychological effects of a m/c on the mother have shown
that the impact is usually comparable to witnessing a major disaster like
a train crash or serious traffic accident. The mother has a chance of
developing post-traumatic stress disorder, and most women develop some
form of depression.

Good heavens - do you have a reference for these studies?

All the best,

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become

depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley

Old August 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:13:06 +0100, Sarah Vaughan wrote:

Good heavens - do you have a reference for these studies?

All I know is that they were done at the University of Maastricht in the
Netherlands. I'll try to find some more information for you.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old August 13th 04, 03:22 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:18:10 +1200, Amy wrote:

I find it interesting that it's only considered comparable.

Comparable in the sense that women have an equally high chance of getting
PTSD after a m/c as after witnessing an accident. What I read wasn't clear
on the fact if witnessing meant being in the car or just an onlooker. It
was a Dutch text and the language doesn't distinguish between those two
very clearly...

Old August 13th 04, 06:23 PM
laurie

Ditto what everone else said- shame on you for scaring us!! My fingers are
crossed for you, BTW.

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 3 years
Christopher, 15.5 months
Old August 13th 04, 10:11 PM
fading away

Ilse Witch wrote in message ...
Studies on the psychological effects of a m/c on the mother have shown
that the impact is usually comparable to witnessing a major disaster like
a train crash or serious traffic accident. The mother has a chance of
developing post-traumatic stress disorder, and most women develop some
form of depression.

I had the same reaction as everyone else! Oh my goodness! I'm so
relieved. I almost started crying when I read the subject line.

-- Mav
Old August 13th 04, 10:44 PM
Amy

Well that makes sense. Of course, most people get over traffic accidents,
the same couldn't be said for m/c.

news