Aargh - yet more opinions needed on names!

Old August 13th 04, 02:37 AM
Mary S.

Default Aargh - yet more opinions needed on names!

We have two girls who's names start with A and I don't think its terribly
obnoxious.

If you think about it, childhood is relatively short, and their names
will be their names for the rest of their lives -- how well the
siblings' names mesh together shouldn't be a bigger factor than any
other that's important to you when choosing your babies' names (like
family tradition and heritage, how well it fits them, how well you and
your DH like it, etc.), in my opinion.

Mary S.

Old August 13th 04, 02:50 AM
Cathy

We're still going on the girls' name thing - I thought we had it sorted. I
was just wanting some other opinions on having a first name starting with
the same letter as the surname. My opinion used to be that it was a big
no-no, but that rules out about all my 2nd favourite names (my favourite has
been used!!). Any opinions, or experiences? I worked with a guy once, and
both his names started with H. He said as kid he'd had real trouble
pronouncing both the H's. My surname starts with L, if that makes any
difference!!

Thanks,
Cathy

Old August 13th 04, 03:01 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Cathy wrote:

We're still going on the girls' name thing - I thought we had it sorted. I
was just wanting some other opinions on having a first name starting with
the same letter as the surname. My opinion used to be that it was a big
no-no, but that rules out about all my 2nd favourite names (my favourite has
been used!!). Any opinions, or experiences? I worked with a guy once, and
both his names started with H. He said as kid he'd had real trouble
pronouncing both the H's. My surname starts with L, if that makes any
difference!!

I would not rule out using the same initial. I
think that sometimes double initials sound too sing-songy,
but other times they sound just fine. It depends on the
specific names in question. There's a tradition of
double initials in my family. It's the first and middle
names, so it's not like people hear the two names together
in common usage, but I certainly cared how they sounded
together. I thought some combinations were problematic
and others were just fine. If you're matching up Ls, I
would just consider avoiding first names with lots of
Ls in them. For instance, Lilian L* might be too L-ish,
depending on the last name, but Laura L* might be just fine.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 13th 04, 05:41 AM
Christine

this might not be what you're looking for BUT I heard the prettiest name
the other day...

( Madison Marie )
what do you all think?

Chrissy & Chloe....

Old August 13th 04, 06:31 PM
Sophie

"Cathy" wrote in message
We're still going on the girls' name thing - I thought we had it sorted.

was just wanting some other opinions on having a first name starting with
the same letter as the surname. My opinion used to be that it was a big
no-no, but that rules out about all my 2nd favourite names (my favourite

has
been used!!). Any opinions, or experiences? I worked with a guy once,

and
both his names started with H. He said as kid he'd had real trouble
pronouncing both the H's. My surname starts with L, if that makes any
difference!!

Thanks,
Cathy

Depends on how it sounds. I love the name Margaret but didn't like it with
the McG last name. However we considered Magnus, it went okay with the McG.
So I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Old August 13th 04, 11:09 PM
Amy

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

I would not rule out using the same initial. I
think that sometimes double initials sound too sing-songy,
but other times they sound just fine. It depends on the
specific names in question.

I agree with Ericka, totally depends on the names. We considered 'S' names
even though our surname begins with S. One thing I didn't like so much was
names ending in S, because I thought the poor child might get tongue tied.

Old August 14th 04, 02:21 AM
Cathy

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Cathy wrote:

[...]

You've hit the name on the head!! I have a SIL Lynley, and that is too many
L's. But I have been seriously considering Laura. Nice to hear that it
wouldn't be too much.

Cathy

Old August 14th 04, 02:22 AM
Cathy

Sophie wrote:
"Cathy" wrote in message
We're still going on the girls' name thing - I thought we had it
sorted. I was just wanting some other opinions on having a first
name starting with the same letter as the surname. My opinion used
to be that it was a big no-no, but that rules out about all my 2nd
favourite names (my favourite has been used!!). Any opinions, or
experiences? I worked with a guy once, and both his names started
with H. He said as kid he'd had real trouble pronouncing both the
H's. My surname starts with L, if that makes any difference!!

Thanks,
Cathy

Depends on how it sounds. I love the name Margaret but didn't like
it with the McG last name. However we considered Magnus, it went
okay with the McG. So I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

I like Margaret to! But as MIL is Margaret, and my gran was Margaret, I
don't see DH liking it.

Cathy