Could children be hit by teachers in the 70's?

Old August 28th 05, 10:41 PM
Jennie

I mean, seriously, can you imagine your BOSS
doing that to you for whatever transgression you
are called on the carpet for?

Curiously enough, yes. The 'office cane' was in use on junior employees
in the 1920s. Regarding the original topic, I was caned on the bottom
at primary school in 1975, for picking up a smouldering cigarette butt
in the playground and pretending to smoke it.

Jennie

Old August 29th 05, 04:44 AM
R. Steve Walz

Bible John wrote:

I saw a film that was made in 1976 and in it teachers were able to fully
hit HS kids with no consequences. Was this Hollywood, or could teachers
actually hit kids in these days?

Thanks,

John

------------------
Yes, but it ended then because the students were turning on teachers
and beating them half to death. They wouldn't put up with it anymore.
Steve
Old August 29th 05, 04:46 AM
R. Steve Walz

-L. wrote:

Jeanne wrote:

1976 would be kind of late but paddling occurred in the late 60's and
early 70's in my school district

Jeanne

I was in Jr. high in 75-77 in Illinois and they still swatted kids
(with a paddle) then.

-L.

-----------------
No, it was made illegal in Illinois in 1972.
Steve
Old August 29th 05, 04:51 AM
R. Steve Walz

Carlson LaVonne wrote:

Bible John,

In 2005 teachers are still able to fully hit kids with no consequences
in nearly half of the states.

Whether or not teachers or education administrators can legally hit
children is left to the states. In some states that had legally banned
hitting of children by school personnel, there is a move to reinsitute
the practice.

----------------------------
Nonsense, the firestorm of lawsuits in the late sixties and early
severnties has virtually ended it everywhere. Even where it is legal
the state and local school boards have standing policies against it
because it insitgated such a huge rise in teen criminality, teacher
assaults, and school vandalisms, they were burning down about one
school a day in 1971 when most states banned it.

Of course, parents are free to hit children in every state.

LaVonne

--------------------
And free to have their kids turn on them and beat the **** out of
them, kill them in their sleep or burn their ****ing house down with
them in it. It's called abuse, and it's illegal. It causes extreme
in that manner when they were younger, it is like a delayed fuse
that goes off at adolescence, and what you have is a human time-bomb!
Steve
Old August 29th 05, 04:52 AM
R. Steve Walz

Bible John wrote:

In article ,
Carlson LaVonne wrote:

Bible John,

In 2005 teachers are still able to fully hit kids with no consequences
in nearly half of the states.

I see. In the film the PE teacher outright smacked the smart alek type
girls. In my home state its illegal to spank kids.

-------------------------
Films are FICTION, John! Geeeze!
Steve
Old August 29th 05, 01:28 PM

I had a high school science teacher who was shot by a student (teacher
survived, just got hit in the arm). It happened years after I finished
high school, and I had a coworker who went to the same school -
Immediately on hearing the news report, I went to his desk and said to
him - okay, think of all the teachers at our high school. If one of
them was going to be shot by a student, who would be the most likely
candidate? Without hesitation, he named the guy correctly (and no, he
hadn't heard the news).

The guy wasn't physically abusive, but he certainly was verbally
abusive and a total prick. It was clear he hated kids, hated teaching
etc. Spent all his time taunting students, belittling, insulting, being
mean, arbitrary. A real nasty sadist. I look back at the way he treated
students, and I expect today, his butt would be fired pronto due to
parental complaints, but back then (70's), I guess he could get away
with it.

A whack with a strap would have been much less damaging than what that
******* meted out.

M.

Old August 29th 05, 03:07 PM
toypup

wrote in message
oups.com...
A whack with a strap would have been much less damaging than what that
******* meted out.

But a teacher like that would then be both physically and mentally abusive.

Old August 29th 05, 04:16 PM
Cathy Weeks

Bible John wrote:
I saw a film that was made in 1976 and in it teachers were able to fully
hit HS kids with no consequences. Was this Hollywood, or could teachers
actually hit kids in these days?

When I was in school in 1976 (I was 7 years old), the principal could
give "swats" - smacks on the behind with a wooden paddle. The teachers
didn't, though. Only the principle as far as I know.

Cathy Weeks

Old August 29th 05, 04:45 PM
Rosalie B.

"Cathy Weeks" wrote:

Bible John wrote:
I saw a film that was made in 1976 and in it teachers were able to fully
hit HS kids with no consequences. Was this Hollywood, or could teachers
actually hit kids in these days?

When I was in school in 1976 (I was 7 years old), the principal could
give "swats" - smacks on the behind with a wooden paddle. The teachers
didn't, though. Only the principle as far as I know.

I didn't distinguish between teachers and principal, although in our
school is was an assistant principal that did the paddling and the
teacher that did the witnessing.

grandma Rosalie