Do you give your baby a Vitamin D supplement?

Old September 4th 08, 02:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.health
Anonymous User[_3_]

Default Do you give your baby a Vitamin D supplement?

Our pediatrician has told us to give our baby a Vitamin D supplement but that goes against the grain when you're breastfeeding exclusively. We want to avoid anything 'artificial' in the first 6 months. Now, we're wondering how much sun exposure is required to produce Vitamin D whilst still being safe for such a little one and want to get the balance right. What's everyone else doing?

--
Do you give your baby a Vitamin D supplement?
http://www.opiniondb.com/DoSurvey.as...f-931b5109d995

Old September 4th 08, 11:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
NL

Anonymous User schrieb:
Our pediatrician has told us to give our baby a Vitamin D supplement
but that goes against the grain when you're breastfeeding
exclusively. We want to avoid anything 'artificial' in the first 6
months. Now, we're wondering how much sun exposure is required to
produce Vitamin D whilst still being safe for such a little one and
want to get the balance right. What's everyone else doing?

Both of mine didn't get the Vit. D. I tried it a few times but either
they spit up right away (just the tablet) or after the next feed (the
tablet and all the milk). I am outside with both kids a lot anyway,
walking to and from school, walking to get groceries, walking to the
playground, etc. and breastfeeding exclusively so I wasn't worried about
Vit. D anyway.

There is Vit. D in breastmilk. If you're worried about enough Vit. D you
can take the supplements yourself (I'm assuming you're the breastfeeding
mother). Just go for a walk every day, maybe you can even squeeze in two
walks on some days.

Both of mine are September babies, so it's not like they were getting
full sun all the time, but apparently it was enough.
I don't know how much sunlight is required, but we're outside for at
least an hour every day.

cu
nicole
Old September 4th 08, 03:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.health
Nikki

Anonymous User wrote:
Our pediatrician has told us to give our baby a Vitamin D supplement but that goes against the grain when you're breastfeeding exclusively. We want to avoid anything 'artificial' in the first 6 months. Now, we're wondering how much sun exposure is required to produce Vitamin D whilst still being safe for such a little one and want to get the balance right. What's everyone else doing?

--
Do you give your baby a Vitamin D supplement?
http://www.opiniondb.com/DoSurvey.as...f-931b5109d995
Results are displayed after voting.

I did not give mine Vit. D. Actually the doctor never recommended it.
I did take them outside. I've heard that they need to be in the sun 20
minutes a day. You'll want to check that out though - I don't know that
for fact.

--
Nikki
Old September 6th 08, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.health
NL

Anonymous User schrieb:
We are in a region with low number of sunshine hours per year. Yes, I also
heared that 20 minutes are ok, though I understood 20 minutes *with the full
body* exposed to the sun light are sufficient. If only the face and hands
are exposed, I believe the baby needs to stay much longer outside. Which may
be a problem.

Well, give the supplement then.

cu
nicole
Old September 6th 08, 10:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.health
JOHN

http://www.whale.to/a/vitamin_d.html

Old September 8th 08, 03:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.health
Nikki

Anonymous User wrote:
We are in a region with low number of sunshine hours per year. Yes, I also
heared that 20 minutes are ok, though I understood 20 minutes *with the full
body* exposed to the sun light are sufficient. If only the face and hands
are exposed, I believe the baby needs to stay much longer outside. Which may
be a problem.

I think if you lay him on a blanket in a window it would also be OK as
long as your window doesn't block out part of the light. I was told to
do that with one of my newborns to help with the jaundice. If you are
really worried I'd just give the supplement and not stress about it
though

--

Nikki