Child Support HELP She wants child support & I had custody!

Old July 25th 03, 03:08 AM
Live Wire Cycles NY/LI

Default Child Support HELP She wants child support & I had custody!

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated? My ex and I divorced in 86,
and in the Divorce papers I agreed to pay support at $25.00 per week which I
did. In 1987, or about 18 months after our divorce, my son came to live with
me and I received custody ordered by a judge, which my ex and me were in
agreement with. Child support was vacated obviously and I didn't seek any
child support from my ex. My son is now 26 years old.
Now, after all these years I receive a call from a Child Support Enforcement
Unit (not an attorney) located in TX that says that I owe her child support
for my son who I raised and supported all these years! They wanted me to
send them a copy of the Change Of Custody papers but refused to send me
anything whatsoever until I sent them something!
My Questions a\
Do you think this was a fishing expedition on behalf of a collection office?
All they could have is our divorce papers and no judgement whatsoever!
What can they do?
Should I send them any papers? (Why should I make their job any easier which
to me is what they want me to do by providing the change of custody papers?)
Can I sue her NOW for back child support because she never paid me a dime?
How long can someone go after someone for child support?
Doesn't the court have a copy of the original change of custody papers if I
can't find them? May be easier to get them at the court then look!

Thank you in advance for any information or links that you can provide. I
live in New York and my ex lives in PA now. My e-mail address is:

Sincerely,

George

Old July 25th 03, 04:04 AM
Tracy

"Live Wire Cycles NY/LI" wrote in message

Hi George,

If anyone could help me it would be appreciated? My ex and I divorced in

86,
and in the Divorce papers I agreed to pay support at $25.00 per week which

did. In 1987, or about 18 months after our divorce, my son came to live

with
me and I received custody ordered by a judge, which my ex and me were in
agreement with. Child support was vacated obviously and I didn't seek any
child support from my ex.

Obviously? What it part of the custody agreement? If not, she may have you
by the balls - sorry.

My son is now 26 years old.
Now, after all these years I receive a call from a Child Support

Enforcement
Unit (not an attorney) located in TX that says that I owe her child

support
for my son who I raised and supported all these years! They wanted me to
send them a copy of the Change Of Custody papers but refused to send me
anything whatsoever until I sent them something!

Do it!!! No joke, if those papers can save your butt, send them in. Don't
fight with some pencil pushing dewb... save your butt and send them those
papers.

My Questions a\
Do you think this was a fishing expedition on behalf of a collection

office?
All they could have is our divorce papers and no judgement whatsoever!
What can they do?
Should I send them any papers? (Why should I make their job any easier

which
to me is what they want me to do by providing the change of custody

papers?)
Can I sue her NOW for back child support because she never paid me a dime?
How long can someone go after someone for child support?
Doesn't the court have a copy of the original change of custody papers if

can't find them? May be easier to get them at the court then look!

talk to an attorney and find out if you have a case against her for
harassment. Sue her butt.

Tracy
~~~~~~~
http://www.hornschuch.net/tracy/
"You can't solve problems with the same
type of thinking that created them."
Albert Einstein

*** spamguard in place! to email me: tracy at hornschuch dot net ***

Old July 25th 03, 04:27 AM
gini52

[...]

==
Official court business is done in writing, not by phone. This is
immediately suspect. If a change of
custody order exists, CSE has it. You don't need to send them anything. If
it doesn't
exist, and this is legit, you could have a problem.
(More Below)
==

My Questions a\
Do you think this was a fishing expedition on behalf of a collection

office?
All they could have is our divorce papers and no judgement whatsoever!
What can they do?
Should I send them any papers? (Why should I make their job any easier

which
to me is what they want me to do by providing the change of custody

papers?)
==
Not unless you receive something in writing on official letterhead.
(More)
==
Can I sue her NOW for back child support because she never paid me a dime?
How long can someone go after someone for child support?
Doesn't the court have a copy of the original change of custody papers if

can't find them? May be easier to get them at the court then look!

==
Call the court of jurisdiction and ask. Jurisdiction is normally where the
child lives.
TX may not have any personal jurisdiction over you. You do not want to do
anything that
waives your right to challenge jurisdiction. State statutes vary re
time limits for collecting and ordering. What state did the child live in
when he was a minor?
==
==

Old July 25th 03, 05:45 AM
Bob Whiteside

"Live Wire Cycles NY/LI" wrote in message
Thank you for your response:

all of these years. The divorce is in New York also. The change of custody
was done here in Queens NY. He is mentally handicapped and needed to be
supervised at all times. He was in special schools and had many doctor and
medical professionals. I gave up a lot of things in my life to take care

of
him such as a social life, education and a normal life. It was no picnic.

didn't want to ask my ex for any money because I knew that she didn't have
any! I just asked her to visit him which she never did. No Cards, nothing
for many years! To the best of my knowledge, she lives in PA with her new
husband. She is a lowlife. My son is 26 now.

Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide in links
or whatever as I remain

Taking what you are posting here at face value, if neither you, the child's
mother, or the child has ever lived in Texas, you may be the victim of
identity fraud. If someone in Texas has used your Social Security Account
Number you may be identified as the erroneous father of another man's child
who has assumed your identity. Tell the CSE authorities everything you know
but do not admit to paternity.

Old July 25th 03, 06:35 AM
Chris

"Tracy" wrote in message
[...]

Nice web site! Seems you have improved it.

Old July 25th 03, 06:39 AM
gini52

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

"Live Wire Cycles NY/LI" wrote in message
Thank you for your response:

throughout
[...]

Bob, Have you ever heard of CSE contacting an "obligor" by phone and not in
writing?
This makes no sense. Too, I can see no TX jurisdiction over this matter at
all. Curious.
==
==

Old July 25th 03, 08:34 AM
Mel Gamble

George, you have received more than one reply suggesting there is something
fishy here. At least one has suggested something related to identity fraud.

DO NOT send a copy of your divorce papers without verifying that you are
actually dealing with the state - they most likely contain enough personal
information to make that identity fraud a real possibility.

Mel Gamble

Thank you for your response:

all of these years. The divorce is in New York also. The change of custody
was done here in Queens NY. He is mentally handicapped and needed to be
supervised at all times. He was in special schools and had many doctor and
medical professionals. I gave up a lot of things in my life to take care of
him such as a social life, education and a normal life. It was no picnic. I

Old July 25th 03, 03:19 PM
Live Wire Cycles NY/LI

Thank you Mel and everyone who has posted he
Yes, I think that Identity Fraud could be a possibility, although I do
have credit alert and I feel that I would have been contacted in the event
that someone attempted to use my name through the service. Nevertheless, I
will check this out today to be absolutely certain. The people who contacted
me did know the name of my ex wife and son. They also claimed to have my
social security number and addresses. They did not have an attorney
immediately available for me to communicate with when I requested to speak
to one. They also said that they would not provide me with any documents
whatsoever until I sent them my change of custody papers which would close
the case if what I said was correct and could be verified. Otherwise, they
would proceed and hung-up on me after I told them that I would not send
anything to them and requested that they send me paper work including an
affidavit from my ex that the claim was based on. They also said that they
were recording the phone call after I asked them if they minded if I did.
There are no judgments against me whatsoever! I have never been to court
with my ex wife other then to change the custody of my son. I don't remember
what year we actually did this so I need to call the Family court today and
see how easy it is to obtain a copy of the court order. Otherwise I need to
dig through years and years of paperwork here in the house, but I'm sure
that I have the papers somewhere, I never throw away any documents
whatsoever! How could they come after me without sending me a summons to
appear in court? Below is the address that they said that I was to send the
change of custody papers to. I did call back the phone number that this
person gave me and confirmed that the number was directly to this Agency
which identifies themselves as "Child Support Enforcement." I have also done
research on the web with respect to this organization which yields nothing
whatsoever. There does appear to be other businesses that do the same type o
f collections (Child Support) that are also based in TX. I found them
through a yahoo search. So there will be a lot of calls made today and one
to the phone company to get a new phone as well for many reason's.
Obviously, I want to record all calls on this line now. I also called my
ex' father in law last night and told him to which he claimed to have no
knowledge of. Be this as it may or may not, the purpose of the call was not
to get information, but rather to send. I'm sure if my ex didn't do this,
then she will be calling me sometime soon also! In the meanwhile, I want to
find out as much as I can about this because, I intend on suing for back
child support now. If I win, I'll give the money to my son!

Thank you for your input....
Allen Cameron, Supervisor

4120 Fredrick Lane

Suite #175

Austin, TX 78744

Old July 25th 03, 04:17 PM
gini52

[...]

I can assure you this is not legit. I'm glad you posted here before you
responded to this "agency."
You might also consider reporting this agency to the TX and NY attorneys
general. Re suing your ex
for CS--NY appears to be the controlling jurisdiction so you need to check
those statutes to determine what, if anything, you can sue for now.
==
==

Old July 26th 03, 12:51 AM
frazil

This is crap. At the following URL you'll find the addresses of Texas CSE
offices. The address you gave doesn't appear on the list. I can virtually
assure you that whatever is going on is bullsh*t. Do nothing, but sit back
and laugh. If it is a private company that called you they can do nothing
without providing you a court order.