reply to anonymama

Old January 1st 06, 05:50 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default reply to anonymama

Anne wrote
so far, everyone has been politically correct and not even asked you why
you
aren't going to breastfeed, so I'm going to pose the question, why aren't
you going to breastfeed?

Anonymama replied
I haven't been being "politically correct" -- I've been being polite
(and biting my tongue).

*********

I'm starting a new thread, because it is the wrong thing to be discussing in
the other thread, where I really was just posing a question. Now I ask Sara
this question, if I was going to give my 10 day old baby rice cereal, would
you just be polite? I doubt it, the vast majority of answers are going to
be, so I can get her to sleep, or similar, but occasionally you may get the
answer because she has such severe reflux, this is the only way she keeps
any food down, I really don't want to do it, but there really is no
alternative.

Of course we should be polite in asking questions, but being polite doesn't
mean not asking questions, it means talking openly. It could be the case
that April has been told not to breastfeed due to medication she is taking,
however, the vast majority of times people are told this, it is not the case
that breastfeeding is contraindicated, it's just that the vast majority of
drugs are labelled use with caution in pregnancy or breastfeeding.

If we take the attitude of not asking questions then how is the
breastfeeding rate going to increase? We have to talk about it, we just have
to talk about it politely, lovingly, gently and most of all factually.

Cheers

Anne

Old January 1st 06, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Of course we should be polite in asking questions, but being polite
doesn't mean not asking questions, it means talking openly. It could be
the case that April has been told not to breastfeed due to medication she
is taking, however, the vast majority of times people are told this, it is
not the case that breastfeeding is contraindicated, it's just that the
vast majority of drugs are labelled use with caution in pregnancy or
breastfeeding.

If we take the attitude of not asking questions then how is the
breastfeeding rate going to increase? We have to talk about it, we just
have to talk about it politely, lovingly, gently and most of all
factually.

Cheers

Anne

Hi

Sorry not been ignoring people on purpose just not been feeling 100%. I am
not breastfeeding for personal reasons which I am not prepared to go into
because I dont want to be jumped on and attacked. I have been in battle over
breastfeeding and bottle feeding since day dot but due to personal reasons
bottle feeding has my vote.

April & bump

Old January 1st 06, 07:35 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

[...]

You're missing my point, which was a matter of word choice: I don't see
what "political correctness" has to do with it.
--
Sara
accompanied by TK, number two, due in April of 2006

Quoting, for users of Google Groups:
http://groups.google.com/support/bin...4213&topic=250
Old January 1st 06, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

You're missing my point, which was a matter of word choice: I don't see
what "political correctness" has to do with it.

sorry, maybe the phrase has different meanings in different places, it's a
fairly appropriate word here I think as it's politically correct to respect
the opinions and decisions of others. I think I was polite in asking my
question anyway, but maybe not approved of, there is a difference.

Anne

Old January 1st 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

In article ,
"Anne Rogers" wrote:

You're missing my point, which was a matter of word choice: I don't see
what "political correctness" has to do with it.

sorry, maybe the phrase has different meanings in different places, it's a
fairly appropriate word here I think as it's politically correct to respect
the opinions and decisions of others. I think I was polite in asking my
question anyway, but maybe not approved of, there is a difference.

Ah, that explains it. To me, "politically correct" is a mocking term
used to describe people who say, for example, "diff-abled" instead of
"disabled," or pronounce "Cuba," when speaking English, "coo-ba."