Getting pregnant while breastfeeding - my story

Old January 27th 04, 07:27 PM
Anna

Default Getting pregnant while breastfeeding - my story

I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
a very common question and many people say that it's almost
impossible. Well, my daughter is 10 1/2 months old and I'm still
breastfeeding her but only at night and in the mornings and I was able
to get pregnant. My last period was 19 months ago before getting
pregnant the very first time so now I was not sure if I'm ovulating
yet or not, but it happened.

Good luck to everyone else
Old January 27th 04, 07:40 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Anna wrote:

*I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
*a very common question and many people say that it's almost
*impossible.

They do? What people say that? I have TONS of people ask that question,
and the only answers I hear are "yes, so you better damn well use birth
control," or "yes, but if you follow all the rules for the lactational
amenorrhea method, your risk is about the same as if you were using the
oral contraceptive pill for the first six postpartum months." Where are
these people spouting off the nonsense that getting pregnant while
breastfeeding is "almost impossible," without additional qualifications???

* Well, my daughter is 10 1/2 months old and I'm still
*breastfeeding her but only at night and in the mornings and I was able
*to get pregnant. My last period was 19 months ago before getting
*pregnant the very first time so now I was not sure if I'm ovulating
*yet or not, but it happened.

Sounds pretty typical to me.
Congratulations on your new pregnancy!

Old January 27th 04, 08:05 PM
Sophie

"Anna" wrote in message
om...
I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
a very common question and many people say that it's almost
impossible.

Um, I think they'd be wrong. Jsut cos you're not getting a period doesn't
mean you're not ovulating.

Well, my daughter is 10 1/2 months old and I'm still
breastfeeding her but only at night and in the mornings and I was able
to get pregnant.

I'm not surprised.

My last period was 19 months ago before getting
pregnant the very first time so now I was not sure if I'm ovulating
yet or not, but it happened.

Good luck to everyone else

Congrats.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old January 27th 04, 10:32 PM
iphigenia

Anna wrote:
I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
a very common question and many people say that it's almost
impossible.

Then they're pretty uninformed, because 10.5 months is well past the point
when LAM is considered effective birth control.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old January 28th 04, 12:43 AM
Chris Scaife

Anna wrote in message
om...
I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
a very common question and many people say that it's almost
impossible.

They are right.... Normally you get pregnant while having intercourse ;-)

I do hope my impression that you are not happy about being pregnat again is
wrong though!

Best wishes,
Chris

Old January 28th 04, 01:52 AM
Melissa

Thank you for writing this because, although I'm not trying yet, I was
starting to worry about the lack of AF.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

om...

Old January 28th 04, 08:54 PM
Welches

Anna wrote in message
om...
I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
a very common question and many people say that it's almost
impossible. Well, my daughter is 10 1/2 months old and I'm still
breastfeeding her but only at night and in the mornings and I was able
to get pregnant. My last period was 19 months ago before getting
pregnant the very first time so now I was not sure if I'm ovulating
yet or not, but it happened.

Good luck to everyone else

I got pregnant while b'feeding too. I had to drop from 2 feeds to one feed
for it to happen. I don't know of any (informed) person that would say it
was nearly impossible-what about the contraception talk you get as you leave
the hospital!
Debbie

Old February 4th 04, 08:42 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Anna" wrote in message
om...
I know that the question "can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?" is
a very common question and many people say that it's almost
impossible.

Never heard that. This is completely erroneous information. Any gyn would
tell you as much.