Not co-sleeping

Old July 16th 03, 01:37 AM
Larry McMahan

Default Not co-sleeping

Irish Marie writes:
: I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
: co-sleep.
: My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
: smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
: working.
: So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
: baby.
: S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy to
: hear and get to quickly.
: I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
: rates?

: --
: Marie
: Mum to DD5, DS3 and due #3 July '03

Well, we co-slept, but the passive smoke thing, and the possibiliby of
alcohol consupmtion are both known danger markers for avoiding when co-sleeping.
I hate to say this, but with the passive smoke, even sleeping in the same room
adds risk. You could have him shower and shampoo when he comes home from the
bar, as well as swear off the occasional cigar. (only half kidding :-)

You could also sleep with the baby and let the stinking barkeep sleep in his
own room. (again only half kidding)

What I am trying to say is that there are health issues other than bf rates
which affect your baby, where it would be better off not sleeping in the same
room as a smoker.

I know I'm sounding like the strident anti-smoking American, but hey, I've got
the science on my side to back me up!

Good luck to you and your baby whatever you decide, especially the baby,
Larry
Old July 16th 03, 01:48 AM
Marnie

"Irish Marie" wrote in message news:Hk_Qa.23193

I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

Marie,

I don't think co-sleeeping is BF necessity. I do think it can make it
easier, but certainly it's not a make-or-break situation. We've just always
done what works, which usually means baby starts out the night in a basket
or crib and winds up beside me in the bed sometime after midnight.

Another thing to think about is that I could not nurse my first DD lying
down until she was 8-10 weeks old. It just wasn't comfortable for either of
us.
--
Marnie

Old July 16th 03, 02:00 AM
Cheryl S.

Irish Marie wrote in message
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and
didn't/don't co-sleep.

DH and I both can't remember exactly, but DD slept next to me, in a
bassinet, for probably 4-6 weeks, then has been in a crib in her own
room ever since. I never had any trouble hearing her when she needed to
eat. When she was right next to me, I woke up far too often, due to the
snuffling and various other newborn noises that did not indicate any
need for a response from me, so not co-sleeping was a better arrangement
for us.

My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke
after work, he also smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes
smells of smoke even when not working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep
with the baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be
very easy to hear and get to quickly.

If s/he is right next to your bed, is the smoke smell going to be
significantly less than being in your bed? Could your DH shower when he
gets home?

I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on
co-sleeping rates?

I don't think bf success is dependent on co-sleeping, but that is JMO.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old July 16th 03, 02:01 AM
Irish Marie

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
Irish Marie writes:
[...]

Yep, this I was aware of.

I hate to say this, but with the passive smoke, even sleeping in the same

room
adds risk.

You could have him shower and shampoo when he comes home from the
bar, as well as swear off the occasional cigar. (only half kidding :-)

I could suggest it..........but I reckon the power shower would probably
wake up the entire household, plus that of the house next door :-( Anyway I
really can't see him hopping in the shower at 3 or 4am.

You could also sleep with the baby and let the stinking barkeep sleep in

his
own room. (again only half kidding)

We should have bought the 4-bed...........he's hankering after converting
the garage as it is, so we could make it his room............it might turn
out to be the ultimate in birth control!!

What I am trying to say is that there are health issues other than bf

rates
which affect your baby, where it would be better off not sleeping in the

same
room as a smoker.

I know I'm sounding like the strident anti-smoking American, but hey, I've

got
the science on my side to back me up!

Good luck to you and your baby whatever you decide, especially the baby,
Larry

Thanks Larry
Marie

Old July 16th 03, 02:09 AM
Irish Marie

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
[...]

TBH he doesn't 'reek' of it that badly, I would be worried if the baby was
next to him in our bed but I doubt that the smell would carry to the moses
basket. My other 2 children slept in the basket next to the bed for 3/4
months but they were FF. As they got older they sometimes slept next to me
on my side of the bed and sometimes still do!!
It would be too late for him to shower when he gets home, and most likely it
would be too noisy also.
Thanks for the input
Marie

Old July 16th 03, 02:38 AM
Marion Baumgarten

Circe wrote:

Irish Marie wrote:
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and
didn't/don't co-sleep.

snip

I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on
co-sleeping rates?

I sucessfully breastfed both my children and did not co-sleep. I had
them in a basinet for the first few weeks in my room and then they went
into a crib in another room. I also never was able to get the knwck of
nursing lyting down. With number two, I got a big rocker recliner and
could kind of doze while reclining in that.

Old July 16th 03, 02:40 AM
Beth

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.

I co-sleep with my DS, who is now 7 months. I had a difficult pregnancy and
slept in my own bedroom, and simply stayed in my own bed after DS was born.

At first I attempted to have him sleep in a bassinet next to my bed, but was
so exhausted sitting up to feed him that I would fall alseep wherever I was,
be it in a chair or in bed. If DS did not slide off my lap onto the bed,
then I would slump forward and stop his nose with a breast. His gasps woke
me. I shudder to think of what might have happened, eventually.

So I decided after a week and a half of this that it was better just to
intentionally bed down with DS. I got rid of the pillow on his side,
covered him and myself with light blankets and slept curled around him. My
mom browbeat me about it, but the relief of getting some sleep was so great
that I just shut out her complaints. :-)

So many people asked me if he was sleeping through the night . . . my
truthful answer was "No, but it's really no bother."

I do miss sleeping with DH, but we have many cozy naps, morning and evening,
as a family. It's kind of romantic to trek to one another's rooms. And
it's just temporary, so no problem.

--
Beth
John & Theodor's mother

Old July 16th 03, 04:34 AM
Leslie

What works for us is a combination. Our babies always started the night in
their own cradle by our bed, then came in with us when they woke.

I put my first in her crib in another room around six months, the second at
seven months, and the third at 12 months, but continued night feedings with the
first two some time after that. Number four has started the nights in his own
room since six months, but at two and a half (almost) still comes in to nurse
and sleep at some point each night.

Co-sleeping isn't a necessity, but for us it is much easier. IMO, having the
baby in the same room is the most important thing.

Leslie
Old July 16th 03, 07:15 AM
Jenrose

"Irish Marie" wrote in message
I just wanted to take a straw poll of those that did/do and didn't/don't
co-sleep.
My dh is a barman so he always stinks of passive smoke after work, he also
smokes the occasional cigar so he sometimes smells of smoke even when not
working.
So based on that I don't think that it would be wise to co-sleep with the
baby.
S/He will be sleeping by our bed in a Moses Basket and will be very easy

hear and get to quickly.
I am just wondering about bf success rates being dependant on co-sleeping
rates?

I would avoid co-sleeping with a smoker, personally, let alone with a baby.
What if he showers before bed?

Breastfeeding is not dependant on co-sleeping, it's just less work with
co-sleeping.

Jenrose

Old July 16th 03, 06:17 PM
Melissa

DD slept in our room, in a bassinet untill two weeks ago (she's three months
old now) and then we moved her into her own room in a crib. We're still
going strong with the bf and I can't see us quitting until I get so pregnant
that I can't comfortably do it anymore. [I'm not pg now, I just plan to be
before she's two.]

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03