3 month growth spurt

Old December 7th 03, 05:15 AM
Bach

Default 3 month growth spurt

If this is a growth spurt, I will be relieved. My DS has been eating
approximately every 45 minutes (during the day) for the last 2 days.
I'm becoming exhausted, and nothing soothes him like nursing. Part of
me is a bit concerned that he's overeating. He is already almost 18
pounds at 3 months, and accustomed to eating every 1.5 - 2 hours on a
regular day. Would a growth spurt last this long?
If I wasn't concerned enough, then this evening I had a heck of a time
getting him to stay asleep when putting him in his crib (which
normally is not a problem). He slept for an hour, and then woke up
screaming bloody murder. When I went to pick him up, his crying did
not cease. I tried to feed him, but he was not interested (VERY
strange) and still screamed. I changed his diaper, and the screaming
continued. I removed all of his clothing to make sure nothing was
poking him, and he still screamed. This is SO unusual, that I had no
clue what to do next. I finally rocked him back to sleep. I figured
I would check his mouth next time to see if there is any way he could
be teething.
Any advice on the growth spurt and/or teething?
TIA
Old December 7th 03, 06:49 AM
mike and dena

No advise really, but I am in the same boat. My DS(8-20-03) Has just wrapped
up a pretty good growth spurt. He weighed 17lbs5oz at last check, and three
times in the last couple days he has screamed inconsolably for no apparent
reason. I have only been able to soothe him by singing(tho how the sound of
me singing could soothe anyone, I'll never know!) He does have a suspicious
bump on his gums- lower driver's side according to DH- so maybe yours is
teething as well. That is the only explanation I have come up with. I
orajelled the bump once, but the taste of the stuff made him so mad that I
decided that wasn't worth it yet. He is barely drooling, so it could be a
while. Best of luck to you, and I will be watching for the advise you
receive as well!
Dena, mommy to
Melissa 6-9-94, ^Matthew^ 4-23thru4-27-99,
Hailey 6-11-01, and Zachary 8-20-03

Old December 7th 03, 01:36 PM
teapot

(Bach) wrote in message . com...
[...]

What you want to do is try a bit of formula (Joke!, it's just what
everyone seems to say away from MKB). Moo boy does this kind of thing
on and off, and he was very much like this at 4 months. Firstly I
don't think you can overfeed on breastmilk but how long is he on the
boob for? Could it be that he isn't getting enough hind milk? How
are his poos? If they are green this could be the trouble. I was
told to keep him busy so that he'd be hungryier when I fed him with
longer gaps and that worked for us. He nursed for much longer and we
broke the snacking cycle. Have you done the is he too hot/cold thing?
Moo will scream and scream if he gets too hot and just makes himself
hotter screaming.

Good luck
teapot and the moo 6 months today
Old December 7th 03, 02:33 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Bach" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This not interested in nursing scream happens with my DD when she has bad
gas, either a burp that needs help coming up or lower in the GI tract. If
lower, rock and pat until she works it out is all I have figured to do, kind
of by way of I know it hurts and will love you but there is nothing I can
do.

Old December 7th 03, 06:43 PM
Bach

What you want to do is try a bit of formula (Joke!, it's just what
everyone seems to say away from MKB). Moo boy does this kind of thing
on and off, and he was very much like this at 4 months. Firstly I
don't think you can overfeed on breastmilk but how long is he on the
boob for? Could it be that he isn't getting enough hind milk? How
are his poos? If they are green this could be the trouble. I was
told to keep him busy so that he'd be hungryier when I fed him with
longer gaps and that worked for us. He nursed for much longer and we
broke the snacking cycle. Have you done the is he too hot/cold thing?
Moo will scream and scream if he gets too hot and just makes himself
hotter screaming.

Good luck
teapot and the moo 6 months today

He would be attached to my boob for sometimes as long as 2 hours. I
know he wasn't eating the whole time, but he was eating a lot of the
time. When I would try to pull him away, he would get very upset.
His poops were a mustard yellow. I usually check his head and his
toes to see if they are hot or cold, and he seemed to be just right.
I'm thinking it was a spurt, because today he will stop eating after
he is full, and he will not feed for nearly as long as he did for the
last couple days. I'll have to weigh him before his bath tonight and
see if he is any heavier...and knowing my son, he will be heavier!
Thanks Teapot and Moo
Old December 7th 03, 10:52 PM
teapot

(Bach) wrote in message news:f976150d.0312071043.

He would be attached to my boob for sometimes as long as 2 hours. I
know he wasn't eating the whole time, but he was eating a lot of the
time. When I would try to pull him away, he would get very upset.
His poops were a mustard yellow. I usually check his head and his
toes to see if they are hot or cold, and he seemed to be just right.
I'm thinking it was a spurt, because today he will stop eating after
he is full, and he will not feed for nearly as long as he did for the
last couple days. I'll have to weigh him before his bath tonight and
see if he is any heavier...and knowing my son, he will be heavier!

2 hours nursing, you poor thing. The no cry sleep solution has a good
tip - when they get to the fluttery stage you unlatch them and hold
their chin shut whilst rocking them gently. I have big problems with
the Moo just wanting to sleep with a boob in his mouth and this has
helped. I check temp by the back of the nexk and the tummy, don't
know how different it is than your method but it might be worth trying
as well. There is also the idea of keeping them cooler so they don't
fall asleep on the boob, some people strip the babies down to nappies
to nurse. The poos sound ok (I can't believe I wrote that!)

I seem to remember when I was going through the constant feed no sleep
thing most recently, posters here suggested that it was due to a
developmental stage and that the babies got easier when they started
to roll, sit, laugh or whatever. Moo has been sitting really well
since his last constant feed thing so it could be that.

What I have learnt at 6 months is that all this kind of thing is
normal and it comes in waves, so it will get easier.

teapot

6 month old growth spurt? jake's mom Breastfeeding 9 December 1st 03 05:55 AM
growth spurt K.B. Breastfeeding 1 August 8th 03 09:15 AM
Help! 6 month growth spurt and wrestless eating Jodie Breastfeeding 2 July 25th 03 08:29 PM
growth spurt Lucy Breastfeeding 0 July 14th 03 06:40 PM
growth spurt going on a long time Anne Rogers Breastfeeding 2 July 11th 03 11:51 AM