Few Questions, Please Help

Old April 2nd 04, 01:04 AM
Carol Ann

Default Few Questions, Please Help

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites. This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all. She
isn't much of a crier at all.

I am able to leave her bundled and sleeping without being held a good deal
of time now. Of course, NOT when we are trying to sleep. It seems she
likes the bodywarmth.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

~Carol Ann

Old April 2nd 04, 01:20 AM
DeliciousTruffles

Carol Ann wrote:

Hi, everyone!

Hi! :-)

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

You can try Gripe Water. I found that it offered some relief. As to
what is causing them or prevention, I have no idea.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Nope. Only if you want to slowly build a freezer stash.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

That should be okay as long as the diaper output is okay. You could
always do 2 consecutive feedings on one breast then switch if you are
concerned about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Strip her. Pat her feet. Tap her cheek. Change her diaper.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

It depends on the temperature of your room and what she is wearing while
she is swaddled. A good way to check if she is too warm is to feel the
back of her neck.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

It's not bad at all. What do mothers in Korea do? Eat western food? ;-)

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Go now if you want.

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites. This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all. She
isn't much of a crier at all.

It also lets you get a better rest, IME.

I am able to leave her bundled and sleeping without being held a good deal
of time now. Of course, NOT when we are trying to sleep. It seems she
likes the bodywarmth.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

Sounds like a good plan. :-)

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

Good for you! :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old April 2nd 04, 01:28 AM
Dagny

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

Hate to say I told you so But not in this case. Told you!

-- Dagny

Old April 2nd 04, 01:44 AM
Circe

Carol Ann wrote:
~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times
a day? What is causing them? What can prevent them?

LOL. You can't do anything about them. They're caused, I suppose, by the
immature development of newborn muscles. There's nothing you can do to
prevent them, but the good news is that they rarely bother newborns much at
all, so it's no problem.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Goodness, no! You don't need to pump at ALL if you're never going to need to
feed her from a bottle later on. But you shouldn't be thinking about bottles
for at *least* another 4 weeks, and preferably 6 weeks.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls
asleep, is it okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other
one?

It's fine.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Unless there's a problem, don't bother. She's very young and likely to be
sleepy for a while. It's normal for babies to fall asleep while
breastfeeding--breastmilk and sucking are a sort of natural narcotic that
tends to knock them out. It's only a problem if she feeds for such a short
period of time that she wakes up hungry 20 minutes later, and then it's only
a problem for YOU--it probably doesn't bother her in the least g.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she
too warm when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to
bed.

As Brigitte said, check the back of her neck to see if it's sweaty. If not,
she's not to hot. If yes, she is.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She
is having nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

I would assume Korean babies do just fine with moms who eat Korean food, so
I wouldn't sweat it. (Why would Korean food be baby for babies? Mmmmmm, kim
chee...)

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the
block?

You could do it now if you felt up to it and the weather isn't too cold.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself
back into a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on
what I am doing now and slowly add tasks that need to be
accomplished.

That's a good plan. Just go with the flow for now. Things are liable to get
a bit more hectic naturally anyway, as she becomes more awake and alert and
more demanding (the first week is generally the easiest of the first six in
terms of a lot of this stuff).

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my
beginning weight prior to pregnancy.

That's great. I found the weight came off pretty easily for me, too,
although I think I tended to plateau every time at about 5-8 lbs. above
prepregnancy weight until the babies were about 6 months old.

Just keep it up, Carol Ann. Sounds like you're doing great!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old April 2nd 04, 02:50 AM
HollyLewis

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Nothing. I've no idea, but it doesn't matter -- hiccups are not harmful in any
way! Nothing. :-)

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

There's no reason to pump at all in the first month or so, unless you need to
build up a freezer stash because of a short maternity leave or something like
that.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Sure. Just try to start with the oppposite side next time, so you won't get
lopsided. :-)

(But it's also okay to try to wake her enough to take the other side, if you
want. If it's relatively easy to wake her and she will nurse a bit longer on
the other side, she *may* go a little longer in between feedings.)

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

She doesn't need to be awake during a feeding. :-) If the problem is that
she's falling asleep and letting go, and you're afraid she's not actually
nursing enough, you can try unwrapping/undressing her, tickling her feet,
switching sides.

But if she's nursing for 10-20 minutes each feeding, every 1.5 - 2.5 hours, I
very much doubt she's not nursing enough.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

If her head and torso are warm but not hot and sweaty, she's fine. But better
to err on the side of too cold than too hot, because she'll likely protest if
she's cold whereas being too warm could make her lethargic. Remember that her
hands and feet are likely to feel cold even when overall she is plenty warm.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

There's no reason to limit your diet in any way unless and until you have some
reason to suspect that she's sensitive to something you're eating. IOW, if
she's not especially fussy after you eat X, her poop is normal and she's
gaining weight appropriately, eat whatever you want. :-)

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Until you feel up to it. :-)

It's not a bad idea to avoid exposing her to large crowds of people for a few
weeks yet, but there's no reason not to take her outside.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

Yeah, don't worry about it yet. If you get *one* thing done in a day besides
holding and feeding your baby, you're doing fantastic. And I'm including
getting showered and dressed yourself as that one thing. If you can start a
load of laundry too, consider yourself supermom. ;-)

Eventually, you will start to develop a routine. But for the moment it's not
important.

Glad you're doing so well!
Holly
Mom to Camden, 3 yo
EDD #2 6/8/04
Old April 2nd 04, 03:17 AM
New York Jen

"Carol Ann" wrote in message

Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Hiccups are normal in a newborn, nothing to stop them and they aren't
hurting her or making her uncomfortable...don't worry.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Why are you pumping? Do you plan to give her a bottle? It's best for both
of you to just nurse her, that way you'll keep your supply and build a
strong breastfeeding relationship.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is

it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Of course, if she's full and tired, let her sleep.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Try undressing her, touching her face with a cool damp cloth...she's still
so new, she'll stay up to eat soon enough.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

She should be as bundled as you are especially if you are cosleeping...use
your judgment. I'd skip the hat, I'm sure she's warm enough just being
close to Mama.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is

having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

Unless she shows some reaction (gas, rash) to the foods, you should eat
anything you want.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

As long as she's dressed properly, you can take her out right away. The
fresh air is good for both of you (I just read this in a Dr. Sears column!
:-)

Morgan and I have been able to sleep together for the past two nites.

This
allows me to read her cues much more quickly. She hasn't cried at all.

She
isn't much of a crier at all.

I am able to leave her bundled and sleeping without being held a good deal
of time now. Of course, NOT when we are trying to sleep. It seems she
likes the bodywarmth.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back

into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

I'd just follow Morgan's cues...she's busy learning how to be a human
outside of your belly. Let her take her time doing so.

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

Excellent!

- Jen

Old April 2nd 04, 03:34 AM
nina

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Hi, everyone!

I'm still here. Trying to get the hang of being breastfeeding and being a
good mother. I have a few questions:

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Her nervous system is immature, eventually this will stop on its own.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Why are you pumping?

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is

it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Yes.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Unswaddle her, jiggle her butt, tickle her feet.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

It depends on the temp of the room. Put her in one more layer of clothing
than it would
require for you to stay warm.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is

having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

Korean babies do just fine and their mothers generally eat nothing but
Korean food.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

I was funny, I waited a month. I was told not to take the baby out when the
temps were below 40 because the cold air was harsh on the lungs.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back

into
a "real life" routine? Perhaps I should just focus on what I am doing now
and slowly add tasks that need to be accomplished.

Take it slow. Trust me, it will be hectic soon enough

By the way, I'm down 25lbs. Wow! I am still 15lbs away from my beginning
weight prior to pregnancy.

Im jellus, Congrats!

~Carol Ann

Old April 2nd 04, 03:42 AM
Naomi Pardue

~What can I do about the hiccups that Morgan gets at least 6 times a day?
What is causing them? What can prevent them?

Hiccups don't usually bother babies. I wouldn't worry about them.

~Am I supposed to be pumping if I am feeding every 1.5 - 2.5 hours?

Nope. There is rarely any reason to pump unless a) you are trying to build a
stash of milk or b) baby isn't nursing well and you need to keep your supply
up. This early I wouldn't be bothering with the pump. You'll just tire yourself
out.

~If Morgan eats on one breast for 10 - 20 mins and then falls asleep, is it
okay not to try to get her up to feed on the other one?

Absolutely. You can offer the other breast at the next feed, or you can feed
on the same breast several feeds in a row and then switch.

~What can I do to keep Morgan awake during feedings?

Switch sides often. Change her diaper. If she's feeding 15-20 minutes though, I
wouldn't fret too much about this one.

~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

Dress her pretty much like you dress yourself. If your house is comfortable,
she doesn't need to be bundled up, nor does she need to wear a cap.
Overheating is not only uncomfortable, but it may be linked to SIDS.

~I am eating lots of Korean food. Is this bad for the girl? She is having
nice yellow, seedy bowel movements and urinates well.

If it bothers her, she'll let you know. Most babies aren't bothered by
anything mom eats.

~How long should I wait before I take her for a walk around the block?

Well, here it's almost 10 o:clock at night, so you might wait until morning. If
you're up for it, so is she.

I am enjoying myself so far. I wonder though, how do I get myself back into
a "real life" routine?

Your life will NEVER be the same again! It's a whole new real life you are
entering now.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old April 2nd 04, 07:39 AM
toypup

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Carol Ann wrote:
~As far as temperature is concerned, if she is bundled up, is she too

warm
when sleeping? I read that she should not wear a cap to bed.

It depends on the temperature of your room and what she is wearing while
she is swaddled. A good way to check if she is too warm is to feel the
back of her neck.

They always say this, but when the room is cold, so is my hand. A cold hand
on the back of the neck wakes the baby up. Not to mention, it does nothing
to tell me how cold my kids are, since the back of the neck always feels
warm to a cold finger. What to do? I know to dress them as I am dressed,
but their clothing is different and they have a sleep sack while I have a
down comforter. I'm always stuck guessing, hoping they are not too warm.
When they are too cold, they tend to wake up.

Old April 2nd 04, 08:26 AM
A&G&K

I was going to reply as well ... but well, ditto to what Jen says below.....
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003