2nd time mum just as clueless

Old January 17th 06, 10:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default 2nd time mum just as clueless

Just wondering what to expect with #2 (due any day now). Does milk tend
to come in any faster second time round?

I hope so...
--
Mogget

39 + 5
Old January 17th 06, 10:51 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Mogget wrote:
Just wondering what to expect with #2 (due any day now). Does milk
tend to come in any faster second time round?

I hope so...

My experience from first to second.

Milk came in on the second day. It was day five with my first.
The second time I had...
Less soreness but it had only been a few months since I last nursed.
Less leaking
Less engorgement
No plugged ducts
Less stress about everything ;-)

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old January 17th 06, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Ditto ditto ditto to everything Nikki said, right down to the days our milk
came in Although I never had sore breasts from feeding except when I had
thrush.

I found with a second everything is just that much easier (apart from the
birth but that's a different story )

--
Pip
My girls :

"Inside me is a skinny women screaming to get out........but I can normally
keep the b*tch quiet with cookies"

Old January 18th 06, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Easier for me too! DD2 was born 3 weeks ago and milk came in within 36
hours (took 4 days for DD1). Less engorgement and no cracked nipples this
time round (thank goodness!). My milk supply is in abundance (or maybe DD2
is a very efficient feeder!). DD1 used to take at least 30 mins on one side
and it took ages for my milk supply to really be substantial and she took 4
weeks to gain birth weight! DD2 takes 10 mins in total! She's gained well
over her birth weight already and is a very contented, happy, easy baby as a
result! Now I just need to learn to manage my toddler's emotions! Good
luck!

Old January 18th 06, 12:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

I'm afraid that #2 was just as difficult as #1, but the problems were
COMPLETELY different. I was expecting nursing to be easier, but since
there was no overlap with the problems, it was the same steep learning
curve. (My milk came in at about the same time for both deliveries, BTW.)

On the other hand, the birth itself was far easier, so I was better able
to cope with the nursing problems.

My older child showed no jealousy of the baby (they're 23 months apart)
for nearly 6 months. Then the baby started to demand attention, and all
the jealousy rose to the surface!

Now, at 8 and 10, both kids nursed successfully (the second one longer
than the first, but not by enough), both weaned easily, and both get
along extremely well.

Hope all goes well for you!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old January 18th 06, 12:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Mogget" wrote in message
Just wondering what to expect with #2 (due any day now). Does milk tend
to come in any faster second time round?

I hope so...
--
Mogget

39 + 5

I was able to express a couple ounces of milk at a time from about 6 months
pregnant on. And after DD#2 was born last month, my milk came in within
hours of delivery.

Old January 18th 06, 07:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article ,
Mogget wrote:

Just wondering what to expect with #2 (due any day now). Does milk tend
to come in any faster second time round?

I hope so...

Mine came in a day faster IIRC. The bst bit is knowing roughly what's going
on and what to expect, and that teh nurses and doctors don't know everything.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old January 18th 06, 10:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I didn't have enough milk for any of my 3 kids immediately, but I did
get more milk each time the duration of supplementing was less each
time. I supplemented the whole 1st year with the 1st, for 10 weeks
with the 2nd and 10 days with the 3rd. My milk came in on day 6, day 5
and day 4, but was not enough milk.

Good luck,

KC

Old January 18th 06, 11:36 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Beth Kevles wrote:
Hi --

I'm afraid that #2 was just as difficult as #1, but the problems were
COMPLETELY different. I was expecting nursing to be easier, but since
there was no overlap with the problems, it was the same steep learning
curve. (My milk came in at about the same time for both deliveries, BTW.)

I had some problems with DD2 also, not nearly the trouble with DD1,
but with DD2 I did get cracked nipples, thrush and she did this weird
thing with her gums that caused some pain for a few weeks. But she did
latch on great from the start and her weight gain was fabulous. My milk
came in about half a day faster with the second, it still took 4 days.
I was expecting it much earlier since she was an unmedicated vaginal
birth and nursed like crazy those first few days (DD1 was a c-section
and very sleepy). That last night before my milk came in was a bit
rough, but then we had a couple of days of milk induced bliss.

I actually had less milk with number two, but I had some real oversupply
problems with number one, so it worked out great. Less leaking too.

Mary W.

Old January 30th 06, 05:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Mogget ) writes:
Just wondering what to expect with #2 (due any day now). Does milk tend
to come in any faster second time round?

I don't know, but I found you have to be very careful
positioning baby at the breast. With older babies you can
be somewhat lazy about positioning, so that's what
you tend to get used to, but when you have a new one,
because their mouth is small, you have to position them
exactly right. Also, your nipples may be larger than they
were when you gave birth to the first one, so this
complicates positioning a little more when it's a
newborn with a small mouth.

I got a lactation consultant to help me with #2 because
things didn't seem quite right, even though I'd bf #1 fine.